Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rooney Rule (Chris Hughton for England)

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but don't we at least owe it to people to make sure things are being done objectively? There is such a thing as subconscious bias, which can be every bit as influential in decision-making as any sort of overt racist view. In the Premier League and Football League, we regularly see the same old tired managerial candidates being hired, no matter how badly their previous jobs went, which does rather hint that there's a bit of an old boys network in place (I'm not saying that in itself is racist, merely that it lessens the chances of anybody outside their circle of chums breaking into the industry).

I think this is a positive thing. It doesn't harm anybody else, and it might just cause a few people of BAME origin to think positively about what they can offer the game, rather than assuming they'll never have a chance.

I'm not sure if it does do harm. Surely, even the insistence of a BAME candidate on a list is going to either bring pressure on clubs to make the PC appointment or worse undermine the black Manager when he is appointed? Only got the job because of Rooney etc etc? Also if people are making a subconscious decision not to employ a BAME manager surely the shortlist will make no difference to their sub conscious decision?

Rather like women only shortlists for parliament it gives the impression that we have to fix the game in order to achieve exact equality. I sure if 90% of the managers in football were from a BAME background very few people would care. I like CH because he's a good and successful manager not because of his ethnicity. If his successor was Hope Powell and she was successful who would be bothered? Of course if she started losing it her femininity would come into play for some idiots but I don't recall anyone saying Sami Hyypia was rubbish because he was a Finn? Results are all the vast majority judge managers on.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I completely agree. All the PC bollocks these days for the slightest things (see ladies first thread) and this is actually racist. It shouldn’t be even taken into consideration the colour of someone’s skin. Pathetic.

Do you think Chris Hughton and Liam Rosenior, who are longstanding supporters of the Rooney Rule, speak PC bollocks and are "actually racist" ?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
This has nothing to do with forcing the appointment of a BAME manager - it is mainly about encouraging more BAME players into coaching. This was extremely eloquently explained on Radio 5 Live today by our very own Liam Rosenior, who stated that the current ratio of BAME coaches and managers is NOT discouraging him from coaching, but it is discouraging many other top BAME players ("far better players than me", was his quote) from doing so.

So Liam is not discouraged, but knows others are that are?

Did Liam say how many needed to be in coaching/management positions before we get to the tipping point so that these “top players” feel comfortable about a career in football after playing?

Liam sounds like he has the right attitude needed for management, I am sure he will find out soon enough when he’s managing/coaching that you can’t legislate to make players perform better, those players can either do it or they can’t.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Also, when they mention about Hughton being the only black manager in the top flight, I always completely forget about it despite him being the manager of Brighton. I don't see him as 'our black manager' I see him as the manager of Brighton and Hove Albion.

I always thought he was of African and Irish heritage..........in South Africa he would be described as coloured, is the orthodoxy here that the term “black” incorporates anyone who has African heritage in their genetic back story?

Put another way, can Ryan Giggs be a BAME candidate now, and when Ross Barkley retires from the game can he be a BAME applicant?

Or is it really just about the colour of the skin.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Sadly, for some, it is.

You mean for some football club chairmen they will willingly employ players with dark skin, but they wont employ them as management staff..........any thoughts on who?

Maybe a good place to start is to find out if any clubs subscribe to the Daily Mail?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sadly, for some, it is.
Well, perhaps for people who start a campaign called 'BAME' (bearing in mind what the letters 'B' and 'A' stand for) maybe it is? And that is not a criticism of the people who support BAME, or the BAME campaign itself - there is every reason for wanting to even up inequalities. It is more a well-deserved dig at people who like to scream 'racist' at every opportunity.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well, perhaps for people who start a campaign called 'BAME' (bearing in mind what the letters 'B' and 'A' stand for) maybe it is? And that is not a criticism of the people who support BAME, or the BAME campaign itself - there is every reason for wanting to even up inequalities. It is more a well-deserved dig at people who like to scream 'racist' at every opportunity.

Bad Attitude?

I ain't getting in no plane

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Best man available for the job should get it every time.I feel Chris needs at least 2 more years with us to calm down his over-exuberance.Then England will have the perfect manager.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here