Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Daily am rush hour trains Brighton to London Bridge

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Need to get one for a week or two.

Just checking and it seems there is only ONE direct train now ..... which takes 1hr20mins !!!

Numerous others that take 1hr15 - 2 hours that also involve 1 change.

Any regular commuters know why/when this changed ?

Must be messing up loads of people. Used to be an hour tops / direct didn't it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Just checking and it seems there is only ONE direct train now ..... which takes 1hr20mins !!!

Must be due to Thameslink now starting trains from Littlehampton I guess ? Bizarre reduction in service though for city to city..........

Jul 7, 2003
Must be due to Thameslink now starting trains from Littlehampton I guess ? Bizarre reduction in service though for city to city..........

I'm told by several people who use the LB trains along the coast that the move to Thameslink has been universally unpopular having taken away their nice old trains for those new tube train style things with small, uncomfortable seats (if you can get one).

Watching the Portillo thing on BBC2 last night, the bloke from Thameslink said that they were designed to be able to handle large volumes of people when travelling through London - like a tube train. Bet those who have to spend 90 minutes each way on these things really appreciate that.

Lush

Mods' Pet

Presumably not enough demand to fill a train from Brighton and not enough trains to run separate stopping ones to pick up commuters from Hassocks etc.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm told by several people who use the LB trains along the coast that the move to Thameslink has been universally unpopular having taken away their nice old trains for those new tube train style things with small, uncomfortable seats (if you can get one).

Watching the Portillo thing on BBC2 last night, the bloke from Thameslink said that they were designed to be able to handle large volumes of people when travelling through London - like a tube train. Bet those who have to spend 90 minutes each way on these things really appreciate that.

Yes, they have plenty of room (no carriage separation, and seem wider - more standing room - due to narrower and fewer seats) and the seats are very uncomfortable and badly designed (in the window seats, your foot space is partly occupied by heating ducts). Odd though that I now have a much wider choice of direct trains from my small local station (Wivelsfield) than someone from Brighton.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
unless you need to be actually at London Bridge, have you considered going to Victoria and a tube onwards?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Yes, they have plenty of room (no carriage separation, and seem wider - more standing room - due to narrower and fewer seats) and the seats are very uncomfortable and badly designed (in the window seats, your foot space is partly occupied by heating ducts). Odd though that I now have a much wider choice of direct trains from my small local station (Wivelsfield) than someone from Brighton.

Oh, YOU'RE the passenger who lives there! I've often wondered why every train I've ever got in my life stops there to have nobody get off, now I know! :lolol:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
unless you need to be actually at London Bridge, have you considered going to Victoria and a tube onwards?

that doesnt really work but is certainly an option if need be.

Outrageous really . Amazed haven't seen mass protests . Like all these things , people just accept it.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
that doesnt really work but is certainly an option if need be.

Outrageous really . Amazed haven't seen mass protests . Like all these things , people just accept it.

Another option might be a Thameslink to Blackfriars or City if that’s near to where you need to get to.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

I used to be a Worthing to London Bridge commuter getting the early morning services. Is this the case now then? I'd be horrified if I couldn't get my hour nap in those uncomfortable seats !

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I used to commute to London Bridge from Brighton about 10 years ago and the 50 minute train usually took at least 1 hour 10 minutes so this does not surprise me. I am surpised it isnt even longer considering the work they are doing rebuilding London Bridge.

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Just make sure you get in first class at rear of the train as it’s declassified , you get a table and a plug socket , whoop whoop

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Presumably not enough demand to fill a train from Brighton and not enough trains to run separate stopping ones to pick up commuters from Hassocks etc.

Its not that. Basically the new thameslink rolling stick cant be joined en route. Its a 12 car unit. They have to run the 2 trains in the morning from worthing to lb contractually so thats what has been put in. The brighton to blackfriars or victoria routes are deemed to be enough contractually

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Its not that. Basically the new thameslink rolling stick cant be joined en route. Its a 12 car unit. They have to run the 2 trains in the morning from worthing to lb contractually so thats what has been put in. The brighton to blackfriars or victoria routes are deemed to be enough contractually

Is it only 2 ? Thought there used to be far more direct Brighton to LB trains than that........

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Is it only 2 ? Thought there used to be far more direct Brighton to LB trains than that........

Theres two from worthing. From brighton there is one at 5.40ish one at 6 and another at 7.32 direct.

Allegedly when the lb building work is finished there will be more....i dont have faith that will happen

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Theres two from worthing. From brighton there is one at 5.40ish one at 6 and another at 7.32 direct.

Allegedly when the lb building work is finished there will be more....i dont have faith that will happen

How many were there previously? Thought it was at least two per hour from 5.30-8 am........I currently get a TL to LB at 6.04 at Wivelsfield which must start in Brighton....assume the 5.40.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
How many were there previously? Thought it was at least two per hour from 5.30-8 am........I currently get a TL to LB at 6.04 at Wivelsfield which must start in Brighton....assume the 5.40.

There used to be (many years ago) 2 per hour at 5, 6 and 7 and then up to 4 per hour from 9am

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
There used to be (many years ago) 2 per hour at 5, 6 and 7 and then up to 4 per hour from 9am

There did used to be 4tph to Bedford via London Bridge but 2 were re routed to go via Herne Hill and Elephant & Castle since the London Bridge Improvement works thus avoiding London Bridge completely, and the two that weren’t terminate at London Bridge and don’t continue to Bedford.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here