Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Merson

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Aren't we being a bit too precious? We're favourites with the bookies to go down, it would be weird if pundits didn't put us on their list of clubs to go down.

MERSE SAYS: I look through the list of signings and I don't really know any of them. When you get promoted to the Premier League, you need to bring in a few seasoned professionals. This league will be new to almost everybody in that squad and for me that approach isn't going to work. I'm not happy with that.

Seems like his view is based on ignorance.
It's not that he's saying the players are poor quality, but that in his opinion you need some players who have played in this league before. That may be right, it may not, but it's a fair opinion isn't it?

I do agree that the likes of Shearer and Wright are stealing a living by not doing their research of clubs and players below the top, but that's a separate point.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Come to the conclusion if we listen to pundits we would of ended this season on 0 points scoring about 5 goals and conceding about 100. There all the same. They watch PL football, know nothing outside that circle as they are not paid to think beyond that. If we stay up next year it will be someone else's turn to receive there dire predictions.
TBH only way we would be noticed would be by signing the Real Madrid starting 11

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
On Sky Sports web site re transfers in last transfer window:

MERSE SAYS: When you get promoted to the Premier League, you need to bring in a few seasoned professionals. This league will be new to almost everybody in that squad and for me that approach isn't going to work. I'm not happy with that.

Just like Leicester when they got promoted and won the Premier League then... Merson is a typical football presenter journeyman who has no non-mainstream opinions of his own.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Its good hear from all these hard working well paid commentators and pundits, spending loads of time on research and then refer variously to Tomer Hemed as , Tamer Hemed or Tomer Hamad and of course our left winger Solomon March. Its not an issue as I prefer, as im sure CH does, to fly under the radar, the pundits appear to believe that we are going down and thats just fine, we'll prove them wrong.

As for the coverage on MOTD and the Sky programme with Kamara, the highlights made it look as though WBA were in the game in the first half when my recollection was that we were pretty dominant.

PS I thought that WBA looked like a Championship side.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Merson didn't have football he'd be lucky to be driving a forklift in a Harlesden warehouse.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Its good hear from all these hard working well paid commentators and pundits, spending loads of time on research and then refer variously to Tomer Hemed as , Tamer Hemed or Tomer Hamad and of course our left winger Solomon March.

Even Motty called March "Ollie March" at the weekend on MOTD. Poor show. I'm good friends with one of the BBC Radio Humberside sports commentators and he actually puts a lot of time into researching the two teams playing in a game he's covering. Unfortunately I don't think many others share his professional pride.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Even Motty called March "Ollie March" at the weekend on MOTD. Poor show. I'm good friends with one of the BBC Radio Humberside sports commentators and he actually puts a lot of time into researching the two teams playing in a game he's covering. Unfortunately I don't think many others share his professional pride.

I think that was just after Ollie Burke came on. So i'm letting him off that one.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Aren't we being a bit too precious? We're favourites with the bookies to go down, it would be weird if pundits didn't put us on their list of clubs to go down.

It's not that he's saying the players are poor quality, but that in his opinion you need some players who have played in this league before. That may be right, it may not, but it's a fair opinion isn't it?

I don't have a problem with that point of view in isolation. I just think he looks a bit stupid when he then says re Huddersfield: "Huddersfield have had a go. They've brought in a lot of players and a couple of them look to be very shrewd. Tom Ince could end up being a good Premier League player, Aaron Mooy is a smart signing and Steve Mounie has already shown he can score goals. I don't know all of the players they've brought in, but this club has come up into dreamland and they are having a good go at it. You can't complain."

So he admits to not knowing their signings, or our signings, but he gives Huddersfield a B+ and Brighton a D.

It's not like Huddersfield have signed loads of PL experience either.

He says Mounie will score goals - presumably because he scored at Palace and thus got noticed. I'm not doubting Mounie will score goals - but if our first game had been West Brom at home I can easily imagine him saying things like, "Gross will score goals", "Propper is a smart signing", "Izquierdo could be a good signing".

It just smacks of someone who doesn't really know. That's fine and he's entitled to his opinon. I just think he hasn't got a clue and he's not worth listening too. He's no expert, just someone they can use to fill some web pages and tv time.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't have a problem with that point of view in isolation. I just think he looks a bit stupid when he then says re Huddersfield: "Huddersfield have had a go. They've brought in a lot of players and a couple of them look to be very shrewd. Tom Ince could end up being a good Premier League player, Aaron Mooy is a smart signing and Steve Mounie has already shown he can score goals. I don't know all of the players they've brought in, but this club has come up into dreamland and they are having a good go at it. You can't complain."
Agreed, that's just dumb. We played Man City, they played a very out of sorts Palace.

He says Mounie will score goals - presumably because he scored at Palace and thus got noticed. I'm not doubting Mounie will score goals - but if our first game had been West Brom at home I can easily imagine him saying things like, "Gross will score goals", "Propper is a smart signing", "Izquierdo could be a good signing".

It just smacks of someone who doesn't really know.
Agreed.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Merson, Crooks, Sutton,Townsend, Dixon, Shearer - the list can go on of useless pundits who get the gig because they aren't good enough to get a proper job in football.

They are from a PL era that does not compute in today's footballing world.
It's like middle aged dad's keeping up with the latest trends, failing abysmally.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I'm sure Merse will have had a punt

Releg.JPG

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
On Sky Sports web site re transfers in last transfer window:

MERSE SAYS: I look through the list of signings and I don't really know any of them. When you get promoted to the Premier League, you need to bring in a few seasoned professionals. This league will be new to almost everybody in that squad and for me that approach isn't going to work. I'm not happy with that.

Seems like his view is based on ignorance.

This.

So because our signings are not well known, or more importantly, known to him, they're fecking useless? Just ask West Brom how useless Gross is?

What a tool.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Honestly, who cares what Paul Merton thinks? His opinion affects our season as much as the opinion of any one person on this thread I.e. Not at all.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Merson, it has to be said, is a class apart when it comes to pundits. He really is an absolute moronic imbecile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here