Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber: The Transfer Window

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well only having one fit striker is unacceptable in this division . Out of interest what three teams do u think we will finish above ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stating the bleeding obvious doesn't make you a genius. The club didn't plan to only have one fit striker. Doesn't matter which clubs finish below us as long as three do.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Mistakes like that just prove how lazy Paul Barber really is. Not even bothering to proof read a really important message to us fans.
He made a huge mistake with the 'N' rather than 'M'

Some serious nit picking here.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It will be interesting to see if Paul's comments are expanded upon in the programme on Saturday, or that is basically all there is.
We are lucky as supporters that Paul is willing to address the fans in this way, as many clubs will just have hidden behind a wall of silence.

I still fail to understand what actually the moaners wanted from the club. We were the 8th highest net spenders in Europe and would have gone higher if players had not failed medicals, or decided to stay on London for the season not playing first team forward.

If we had landed Neymar for £200m I'm sure some would have still be moaning and saying he isn't the type of striker we need, no PL experience, can he perform on a Tuesday night at Stoke or Burnley.

We are still only 3 games into the season and the new team is still learning about one another and the demands of the PL. We have a great manager, good organisation and quality players over the pitch.

Let's get behind the team, and see how we have performed up to the next international break, I am certain that we will see an upturn in both performance and results, and the only moaning left to do, will be by those supporters who don't have enough loyalty points to get tickets for the glamour games.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Groß was signed on 19 May. The window closed at the end of August. So you're technically correct by 4 days IF we go off our first surprising signing, but if you round up to half months you're wrong.

Considering we're discussing a long period, rather than a tiny one, you might as well have not bothered posting that at all. 3 months and 12 days is enough to get 2 strikers in. I've delivered complex software releases in less time. And I'm lazily using the Groß signing as a start point because it's late.

Was that the official signing date or just when they announced the agreement. Our window didn't open until 9th June and Germany's the 1st July!

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
He made a huge mistake with the 'N' rather than 'M'

Some serious nit picking here.

Not nit-picking one bit. The straw which broke the camel's back I'm afraid.

If our director isn't even proof reading what he's writing with ridiculous errors like that, then we really haven't got a lot of hope.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
HUGE own goal by our Paul unfortunately.

His time is very much limited.

Christ

We've got one of the best CEOs in the industry. Agree with him or not, his time will come when another club poaches him.

One thing you can't criticise the club for (post Withdean) is learning from it's mistakes.

First time in the Premier League against an extraordinary window. It's hard enough playing the likes of Watford and Bournemouth who have had to learn very quickly how to become Premier League savvy.

I was as gutted as everyone else, but one thing I believe is that those involved have taken this as a huge learning experience and we will be better next time.

But more importantly better than others.

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

If our director isn't even proof reading what he's writing with ridiculous errors like that, then we really haven't got a lot of hope.

As batshit insane as this can be, I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Really ?

I'd rather have that something sanitised by a PR department.

I like people like that which is completely different from agreeing with everything they say.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Andy's still up. Praise the Lord.

I'd say we missed out on Dwamena, Janssen and Andone. :dunce:

We tried on those. Blocked rather than missed. I would include Abraham in being unobtainable.

Bournemouth in their first summer up did worse than we did (on paper). I thought it might be very difficult to find the striker we needed.

Newcastle did worse, not better than us, Swansea and Watford did quite well though. Swansea nd Watford were my two tips for the bottom two. A bit closer now.

Last edited:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Oh Shut up ****ing Melt. People can be unhappy that they failed. If i were to deliver a project at work but failed to deliver a key deliverable id be ****ed and have some answering to do. No matter how hard i worked or excuses i made. What the club needed to do and deliver wasnt achieved as for not going to games that isnt an option but im pretty sure i can air my views on the internet as well as people who go around licking the clubs arse.

Why would i stop going to games? Ive been to every game this season and have tickets for all upcoming games, so sadly for you as ever i will be there offering my support, having a laugh with my mates and getting behind the team. The difference is i would have been pissed off years ago to.

The problem with the work thing is that you will not spend months or years working on a specific project and not know the outcome very early. You may be late but it will happen. So, in an IT world, let's say I am setting up my work email system for lotus notes (yes, I know but this is an example), the day before or last minute of the go live date, lotus notes will not tell you that they actually do not want to sell you that software anymore. If they did, you could go straight to Microsoft and buy Outlook. Is that possible in football? No.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Christ

We've got one of the best CEOs in the industry. Agree with him or not, his time will come when another club poaches him.

One thing you can't criticise the club for (post Withdean) is learning from it's mistakes.

First time in the Premier League against an extraordinary window. It's hard enough playing the likes of Watford and Bournemouth who have had to learn very quickly how to become Premier League savvy.

I was as gutted as everyone else, but one thing I believe is that those involved have taken this as a huge learning experience and we will be better next time.

But more importantly better than others.

Like you say .... that's what you believe but you are wrong.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Oh Shut up ****ing Melt. People can be unhappy that they failed. If i were to deliver a project at work but failed to deliver a key deliverable id be ****ed and have some answering to do. No matter how hard i worked or excuses i made. What the club needed to do and deliver wasnt achieved as for not going to games that isnt an option but im pretty sure i can air my views on the internet as well as people who go around licking the clubs arse.

Why would i stop going to games? Ive been to every game this season and have tickets for all upcoming games, so sadly for you as ever i will be there offering my support, having a laugh with my mates and getting behind the team. The difference is i would have been pissed off years ago to.

1. How do you know internally that people didn't have some answering to do - to the only person that matters, TB?
2. PBs post would have been sanctioned by the club/TB so im pretty certain we know his thoughts on the hysterical BS spouted on here and other social media
3. Yes your views are as valid as anyone's including mine - for the record im certainly not licking the club's arse, im as ****ed off as anyone about not signing a striker but performing the online equivalent of bouncing up and down in front of someone like a 12 year old apprentice hooligan who has no intention of following through with the actions to back up their words isn't going to help anyone.

Enjoy your season pal.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I do find it fascinating that

1) Fans like to be treated as fans (not customers)
2) Resort to using examples from their own workplace without having any experience of the football industry.

I produced a ****ing fantastic Visio diagram tonight. Shall I send my CV to Paul Barber ?

:lolol:

**** sport scientists - what we need is a product owner and a BA.

Hypocritical nonsense and utter bollocks.

Signing a player isn't a "deliverable" - it's a contract negotiation which anyone with their head not up their ****hole would understand could either way.

Anyone downstream responsible for "delivery" probably wouldn't even know about the "failure".

Just blame HR.

:lolol:

patalan48

Mar 5, 2017
I have read the various apologies and excuses for why we did not recruit a striker(s) in the transfer window. If we were so determined to recruit strikers, why did we not give an early free transfer to one the highest paid, Glenn Murray, who would be very attractive to clubs in the Championship. By keeping him and his salary, it will be reasonable to expect that he should score at least 10-15 goals in the Premier League. However, given his previous performances at this level and age this is very unlikely and he might well be consigned to an expensive bench for many games. A similar case might well be made for Hemed and Baldock, although they are most likely to be less costly. It is possible that the problem of finding a striker within the club’s limited budget goes beyond recruitment and to decisions about when to sell or release players.

Some might argue that loyalty to the CEO, players, staff, managers and coaches is part of the fabric at BHA. Unfortunately, misplaced loyalty can sometimes disguise incompetence and poor performance.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Embarrassing witch hunt still ongoing I see.

Mistakes were made collectively. It's clear to see if you read between the lines that the disappointment from us as fans is very much shared by them and can only make them more determined to get it right next time. The window isn't going to open again until January no matter how angry you get or whom you blame.

It's done, move on and get behind the club.

DavePage

Paul Barber is a top guy, 100% for Brighton as is his Boss and his colleagues.
Support for the club should be through thick and thin, so back off.
Nothing left to see here.
The club, again in my opinion have done an excellent job recruiting this window, The striker can only score if his has the opportunity, we have amassed a quality midfield and defence. That can get the ball to them.
Here’s hoping that once the players have got unto speed with the Premier League, things will improve.
We all want whats best for the club, but do we really have to bitch about everyone?
channel your energy to Merson or any other outsider dissing our club

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Embarrassing witch hunt still ongoing I see.

Mistakes were made collectively. It's clear to see if you read between the lines that the disappointment from us as fans is very much shared by them and can only make them more determined to get it right next time. The window isn't going to open again until January no matter how angry you get or whom you blame.

It's done, move on and get behind the club.
Very sensible post.

Having a blame tantrum doesn't help anyone now.

Of course we all wanted a striker signed. However, even if one had been he could have been pole-axed in the first minute v WBA and out for weeks anyway.

The professionals at the club will now be working on tactics and formations and looking at who can fill in up front until Murray or Baldock ( or Hemed ) is fit. Maybe even Murphy or the much hated Skalak becomes a hero.

I expect another striker to come in in early Jan - even if it is Leo or Barnes or Niasse - followed by a more ambitious target a couple of weeks later.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here