Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When should we panic? - Transfers Activity

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Yeah thats the point i'm trying to make. If you look at our transfers not many have been that succesful for us.

King and Afobe are the only real successful transfers I would say. The main reason we stayed up was the core of our squad from promotion.

I think Brighton should look to do the same really. Your squad must be decent as the Championship is such a tough league to get out of.

Our squad is decent but mentally fragile we couldn't see it out last season which is a worry for me, we could be broken by xmas........

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Es wäre eine gute Idee, wenn alle Albion-Fans ein bisschen Deutsch gelernt hätten. Heil Angela! Heil Pascal! Heil Uwe! (Eigentlich ist Uwe's Englisch sehr gut) Heil Marc! Heil Joe??

Keine Panik!

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Our squad is decent but mentally fragile we couldn't see it out last season which is a worry for me, we could be broken by xmas........

Mentally fragile? Debateable ..I imagine it took some mental strength to maintain form over the course of a season ...and regards end of season the inevitable reaction of promotion at Norwich and a goal keeper blunder minutes from the end at Villa

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Mentally fragile? Debateable ..I imagine it took some mental strength to maintain form over the course of a season ...and regards end of season the inevitable reaction of promotion at Norwich and a goal keeper blunder minutes from the end at Villa

We only needed 3 points from the remaining fixtures Bristol City was the worst of them and we failed in respect of winning the title.

When we are up against it next season certain players will go awol, our heads were up our arses for the remaining fixtures last year.

We will pay a heavy price next season if we are caught sleeping in the traps too many times......

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We only needed 3 points from the remaining fixtures Bristol City was the worst of them and we failed in respect of winning the title.

When we are up against it next season certain players will go awol, our heads were up our arses for the remaining fixtures last year.

We will pay a heavy price next season if we are caught sleeping in the traps too many times......

I'd agree with Bristol City ..they wanted it more ..but not Villa ..I'm just as interested in our support have they got what it takes to take loss's ..five out of six Amex years have been relatively successful

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

But this is a completely different situation. The main aim of the season was achieved. Look at some of the Premier League clubs when 40 points is achieved (West Brom and Stoke being two obvious examples). They are playing for higher position and potentially a top half finish and still fall apart at the end. To say the squad are mentally fragile after how they bounced back from the agony of the season before last to get promoted last season is unbelievably harsh.

As for the thread subject, I think we should never panic (why bother as we have no impact on what's happening with the club) but if there's still not been at least a couple more key signings before the first friendly over here (on Saturday week), then it is fair to be a bit concerned.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'd agree with Bristol City ..they wanted it more ..but not Villa ..I'm just as interested in our support have they got what it takes to take loss's ..five out of six Amex years have been relatively successful

Almost certainly not, I'd say. Looking back at some of the moaning on here over the last couple of seasons when we failed to win a game or two, I'd say our fans have definitely not got what it takes to accept defeats.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Nein, danke

medieval-peasants.jpg

"Why is King William bowing to the German prime minister?"

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

I agree with this totally, the Amex era has been wonderful. A classic example of this was a friend who brought into the Amex dream, he had a season ticket for him and his son but after the 2014/15 season he cancelled.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I thought this when CH said he wasn't too concerned about our lack of signings. Should we be unable to tempt and/ or agree to pay the going rate, for players of the required standard then the fans will turn. Go on a losing run and CH is going to be the target of the disgruntled fans. It shouldn't happen but I have no doubt it won't take long if we struggle with the current squad and some last minute "best we could do " buys.

Personally I'm resigned to us being sensible and will be very surprised if we break 10 million for a player.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

At Villa we were 60 seconds away from winning the Championship, then a goalkeeping howler cost us dear. To extrapolate that to claim mental fragility is silly.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I agree with this totally, the Amex era has been wonderful. A classic example of this was a friend who brought into the Amex dream, he had a season ticket for him and his son but after the 2014/15 season he cancelled.

Bet he feels an absolute tit now, not that he wasn't before mind.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
A tad concerned but far from panic.

We'll get the players in before the window's out.

Understood. But would it not be preferable to have our business done in time for the pre-season friendlies rather than having half a dozen join on day the window closes? Doesn't give much time for the "bonding" and the squad getting plenty of practice in together.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It doesn't matter...if we don't sign anyone else we have a good enough squad seemly.

Let's save the money and stick it in the bank!

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
But this is a completely different situation. The main aim of the season was achieved. Look at some of the Premier League clubs when 40 points is achieved (West Brom and Stoke being two obvious examples). They are playing for higher position and potentially a top half finish and still fall apart at the end. To say the squad are mentally fragile after how they bounced back from the agony of the season before last to get promoted last season is unbelievably harsh.

As for the thread subject, I think we should never panic (why bother as we have no impact on what's happening with the club) but if there's still not been at least a couple more key signings before the first friendly over here (on Saturday week), then it is fair to be a bit concerned.

I agree with you to the extent that the aim was achieved but Hughton lost the dressing room after the Wigan game, I'm just saying it was a bit of a worry how we didn't see it out, tougher situations are on the horizon..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here