Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

heard on talk sport

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Except that the club have declared many, many times that any possible SS in the North Stand would be 1:1 as that is all the facilities are designed to safely accommodate (vomitories, emergency exits, toilets, etc)

Fair point, been through this a number of times and am aware of the toilets/egress access issues. Not sure if the numbers regarding limits are bang on though, could be room for a few more? I went to Fulham with 7k fans and did not notice a massive difference in access/egress points, width/number of exits etc, the toilets were fewer, and smaller than the NS and the whole stand shook like a fairground ride when we got bouncy!!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Even IF it were technically possible and financially sensible there is no way the council would allow a further expansion.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Well this clearly shows how little you know:-

View attachment 84611

The size difference is almost negligible.
In no way does this image look like the 60,000 seater stadium is able to eat it's 40k sibling.

So, bearing in mind the pitch is in the same orientation and the new stadium is clearly much wider, do you wish to reconsider your statement? (It's longer, too!)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Don't agree with those who think it's big enough. I do agree that it cannot be significantly expanded though. I think in hindsight 35k would've been better but hey ho...

I actually agree. I think there's still a hell of a lot of untapped support in Sussex that could be encouraged along, but it's likely to be prohibitively expensive.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's been WAY too long since that legendary phrase which first surfaced during AMEX construction, appeared in a post.

:love:

Glorious isn't it.
I murmour it to myself sometimes when I'm driving.

"Concrete thrust blocks"
"Concrete thrust blocks"

mmm. Lovely.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
No chance, IMO.
If you take the roof off one end, you have to take ALL the roof off.

There is a ring of steel going all round the roof.
This helps to hold the arches up, and the arches help hold the roof struts up.
Take away any part of it, and the whole thing collapses.

I think this only applies to the east and west stands but could be wrong. I've been trying to look at [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION]'s photos to see this, but can't find one from the right angle.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128321708@N03/albums/72157651087142822/page5

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
The north and south stand roofs are also supported by the arches though - there is a "ring of steel" that goes right around the whole lot. Those arches lean back against each other, counterbalancing each others weight, and in effect "pulling" the roofs up into place.

You can't put the roofs on top of the arches - those arches hold the whole thing up !

I don't see how removing the North Stand roof would effect the arches, as the arches wouldn't be moved, thus still holding up the West and East.

Another thing I noticed is that the North Stand (along with the rest) is quite far from the pitch. It's probably to do with new ground regulations, but it could be moved forward and they would probably add about 8 rows to the back. Again, it's probably not cost effective.

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So, bearing in mind the pitch is in the same orientation and the new stadium is clearly much wider, do you wish to reconsider your statement? (It's longer, too!)
Please don't take my sarcasm away from me, esp when BG is somehow involved. :thumbsup:

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
1) Tone and Barbs have covered this 485 times. NO.

2) We don't need anymore. We are pretty much maxed out. Be surprised if the likes of Burnley and Watford sell out next season. The half/half scarf games however....that's a different question.

We don't need anymore?. Care to explain, Please!.

Maybe your right, So The Alternative then, to cope with lost revenue from inadequate expansion to allow more fans on the waiting list through the gate, would be to massively increase ticket prices so the poorer fans give up there ST.

Last edited:

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
We won't sell out every game next year. What we have is about right = We don't need anymore.

You really think we wouldn't be able to sell 27,000 tickets in a top flight game, even if it's against Burnley?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
You really think we wouldn't be able to sell 27,000 tickets in a top flight game, even if it's against Burnley?

We shall see. But as TB says in his Forum video, they think they have it about right. Be all but full most games, great atmosphere etc etc. Should we ever go back down, we will never have a half empty stadium as some clubs have experienced.
Our recent season averages show our rough base, allow for a few PL journey hoppers and 30k ish works.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
There has been some crap spoken on this thread, so I will chip in.

What about first half only and second half only season tickets. Half time could be extended to an hour and a half to allow for the changeover. If anyone leaves early then some of the first half STH's could be let back in.

What are you doing with that straight jacket..........get off

Makes as much Sense as the rest of this thread.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
..and last year/year before? What were the averages?

Are you seriously suggesting that in a town with over 275,000 residents. (same population as Sunderland) We can't muster another 5K of fans to watch The footballing Elite!.
LOL. Your starting to sound like a palace fan

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here