Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Saltdean Lido

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 22389

Looks like it is re-opening in May. Remember going down there in the early 80's as a kid, fond memories. They have restored the pools to how they used to be, with the main pool and paddling pool, so will definitely be taking my 2.5 year old daughter down there when it opens. So glad it wasn't built over, and well done to the people who pushed not to lose it. The next part it restore the main building.

http://saltdeanlido.co.uk/contact-3

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Many years ago when I lived in Tunbridge Wells I had a girlfriend who moved to Saltdean, I used to get the Southdown bus to Brighton and the 27? to Saltdean passing the Lido, a very fine building and not dissimilar to ours in Plymouth.
I often wonder if that girlfriend is still around Brighton, she would be in her early 50's now and went to Tideway School, I may ask on here if anyone knew her and maybe were in the same class but I don't know if you can quote names on here.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Lidos are feast or famine - and mostly famine. Good that it is being preserved but not sure there is a viable business model.

More importantly - Lee-doh or Lie-doh?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Great to see it preserved. Sussex has some tremendous modernist/art deco buildings from the 1930s (the De La Warr pavilion being another) and it would be a right shame to lose one.

Heated water adds the necessary modern touch - bet it's bluddy freezing up there at times.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I moved to Saltdean in 1967 [aged 7], lived just round the corner off Longridge Avenue. Fond memories of the lie-doh, less so the swimming [was never a fan] but the building. Downstairs was the library and upstairs was the youth club - during the mid 70's, remember sharing a bottle of whisky in the park before the disco and dancing mental to Slade - happy days ....

My parents still live there and when we visit I've always been interested to hear of developments - is the gym still there?

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
I'm in the Lie-doh camp.

Given it's an Italian word, I'd always assumed Lee-do was strictly correct but I say lai-doh / lie-doh anyway...radical!

Love that building and will try and find out more about the efforts to renovate it. Thanks for the nudge OP

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Given it's an Italian word, I'd always assumed Lee-do was strictly correct but I say lai-doh / lie-doh anyway...radical!

Love that building and will try and find out more about the efforts to renovate it. Thanks for the nudge OP

A friend of mine was involved in the restoration campaign. Bloody years it took. And lots of effort. Well done to all of those who never gave up!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
A friend of mine was involved in the restoration campaign. Bloody years it took. And lots of effort. Well done to all of those who never gave up!

Well, if all those efforts aren't going to be in vain, it now needs to be USED! or it will ultimately be lost forever, (as a lido anyway).

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

Many years ago when I lived in Tunbridge Wells I had a girlfriend who moved to Saltdean, I used to get the Southdown bus to Brighton and the 27? to Saltdean passing the Lido, a very fine building and not dissimilar to ours in Plymouth.
I often wonder if that girlfriend is still around Brighton, she would be in her early 50's now and went to Tideway School, I may ask on here if anyone knew her and maybe were in the same class but I don't know if you can quote names on here.

You mean the one by the Hoe? Just down from the lighthouse ?

Ther I would say is far superior in structure and looks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here