Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion fans near County borders

Oct 25, 2003
I know there's a lot from the West Sussex coast and also from Mid Sussex but not sure more than Brighton itself. Be interesting to see club data on location of STH. Any insiders know this info?

sheer numbers wise Brighton & Hove would surely be the number one place for STH's. But I reckon in terms of DENSITY then other towns would come out on top. B & H has a huge amount of students who either don't like football or support their hometown teams. Add in the people who migrate here from other towns and countries and I reckon % wise the amount of Albion fans in the city is fairly low. It's getting better and definitely more kids support the Albion now than when I was young. It wasn't even that long ago that it was a hassle to find a pub showing an Albion game on TV if there happened to be a premier league game on at the same time and pubs would be packed for Arsenal/Chelsea/whatever games

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
sheer numbers wise Brighton & Hove would surely be the number one place for STH's. But I reckon in terms of DENSITY then other towns would come out on top. B & H has a huge amount of students who either don't like football or support their hometown teams. Add in the people who migrate here from other towns and countries and I reckon % wise the amount of Albion fans in the city is fairly low. It's getting better and definitely more kids support the Albion now than when I was young. It wasn't even that long ago that it was a hassle to find a pub showing an Albion game on TV if there happened to be a premier league game on at the same time and pubs would be packed for Arsenal/Chelsea/whatever games

I saw a map on here, a year or so ago, showing the amount of season ticket holders from different areas. Would be great to see an updated version.

Southwick, (even though it has a smaller population, I think) Shoreham and North Portslade all had about 600 or so season ticket holders. So density wise, they could be the highest supporting areas.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I saw a map on here, a year or so ago, showing the amount of season ticket holders from different areas. Would be great to see an updated version.

Southwick, (even though it has a smaller population, I think) Shoreham and North Portslade all had about 600 or so season ticket holders. So density wise, they could be the highest supporting areas.

Shoreham to east Brighton is a single conurbation. The dotted lines on a map are simply historical or current local political boundaries. Support across the urban area is substantial right across it.

It would be interesting to see figures for STH's and/or Membership for the city, as well as Horsham, Lancing, Worthing, Mid Sussex and all the towns in the club's catchment area.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
That's true. There's plenty further south along the border in Battle, Sedlescombe, Staplecross etc too.

I was Sedlescombe (owned The Queen's Head) now live in Robertsbridge (now work for a brewery). Know of 5 sth's in Sedlescombe/

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009

Anyone know how to get hold of the map/thread that showed it? Mods?

Cheers

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I know some longstanding landlords of some Crawley pubs. They say they never see any CP fans, just Chelski and Arsenal, with the ubiquitous LFC and ManU fans. Perhaps the dominance of the PL and the media focus on the really massive clubs, meant the next gen support the usual suspects.
I live not far from Crawley and it is no more Palace than it is Brighton. Both dwarfed by Chelsea in particular, but the other big London clubs too.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Shoreham to east Brighton is a single conurbation. .

The Brighton connurbation stretches to Littlehampton according to the Office for National statistics. It's about 474k.
The boundary is Rottingdean/Saltdean to the east.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I live not far from Crawley and it is no more Palace than it is Brighton. Both dwarfed by Chelsea in particular, but the other big London clubs too.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

:thumbsup:

The Crawley people I know say every football fan they know there, follow the usual PL giants. Were puzzled by the comment that many fans are CP live there ... they've not seen or met them!

If they fancy watching a match other than their beloved Chelsea, Arsenal, ManU or LFC, they visit the Albion, and this goes all the way back to the Goldstone era. An easy 20 minute drive down the A23.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Brighton connurbation stretches to Littlehampton according to the Office for National statistics. It's about 474k.
The boundary is Rottingdean/Saltdean to the east.

My point is that the Albion would have no more or less fans in addresses either side of say Trafalgar Road/Southern Cross (Portslade/Southwick). It's all one urban area in reality.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
There are at least 5 Albion fans up here in Stratford-upon-Avon; myself and two couples originally from Sussex. I always seem to bump into them when taking the local train to Midlands' away days, and they're always in full Albion attire on match day. It confuses the local Villa, Brum and West Brom fans usually on the same train. I fully expect to see them on the local train up to Villa in 2 weeks' time, only this time there will be 6 of us in blue-and-white as my son will be joining me :)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
In a kind of 'nowhere' area of Sussex (near Pulborough) where there's a bit of a mix, but sadly most of the kids are still following PL teams...a fair few Arsenal/Chelsea fans.

When I lived in Littlehampton, there were more and more Albion shirts/car stickers appearing the better we did, but still a few Pompey. Also a few Palace, but they needed to live somewhere cheap and run down so they lived in Wick :lolol:

Nowhere area near Pulborough ..... and I thought Pulborough was a nowhere area! ;-)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Arundel has an "increasing" Albion fanbase but a fair share of Pompey & Palace, oddly.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
To be fair since moving to Devon last year, I've seen more rugby shirts than football fans standing out in public.

During the six nations, loads of pubs had flags and bunting outside, and were heaving with revellers. There isn't even that level of excitement for local derbies between Yeovil, Exetrer and Plymouth. Just my observations.

Be interesting to hear from overseas fans and levels of support for British football clubs as well.

Talking of Devon - the weekend before last we did a gentle cycle ride from Barnstaple on the Tarka Trail via Fremington Quay to Instow and back. I was wearing my black away top and I Brighton fan jogging past was delighted to see another Albion fan in the area. We briefly discussed our promotion chances and went our separate ways. We are everywhere.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Living on the Surrey, Kent and London border I'm always surprised how many Albion fans change on the train at East Croydon for various other branch lines.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
No word on Crowborough area. BHA??

Grew up in Crowborough, plenty of us from school used to come down to the Goldstone. Still see plenty at the bus stops when I'm driving down. Most don't support the Albion though, plenty of Palace, and the usual mix of the big Premier League club 'supporters' who never actually go to any games. Most have a passing interest/soft spot for BHA though

Go along with [MENTION=27870]crookie[/MENTION] here. Still a decent number of BHA in the town. Quite a few Palace but I'd say more BHA. Most folk tend to be armchair Spurs/Arsenal/Liverpool fans if the pubs are anything to go by on a Sunday afternoon. If you go down to the station on a Saturday morning you regularly see Millwall, QPR, Fulham, Brentford fans (only dribs and drabs) all heading to games.

We went over to Tunbridge Wells for the Wolves game and I was surprised how many Albion fans were in Cassidys watching the game. I'd say ~20.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
:lolol: You're not wrong!

How's it all going, I must pass your "nowhere" area as I travel from Arundel to the metropolis that is Billingshurst!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here