Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So come on... who cried?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I was welling up when Calde appeared, let ALONE the rest of the afternoon...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yep. Much to the bemusement of my gf and mother who were there to witness the great day.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Was in the North Stand celebrating when the words 'Brighton Promoted to the Premier League' came up on the TV screen. Admit to having a tear in my eye when i saw that, really brought home the magnitude of what had just happened.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I was welling up when Calde appeared, let ALONE the rest of the afternoon...

I just held it in then, but went at the end when seeing everyone on the pitch. I asked on another thread, did anybody else notice Paul Barber wiping away a tear behind Tony Bloom when they were shown on the big screen? We were on the pitch by that time and I don't know if I imagined it in the bedlam. He certainly sounded like he'd had a good night on the radio this morning. Loved his reaction when asked about keeping everyone off the pitch. He just laughed and said 'Yeah, that went well didn't it?'

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
I kept it totally together until I got home and my daughter ran out the house shouting 'Daddy, did we win? Did we win?' - then I lost it totally...

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
I just held it in then, but went at the end when seeing everyone on the pitch. I asked on another thread, did anybody else notice Paul Barber wiping away a tear behind Tony Bloom when they were shown on the big screen? We were on the pitch by that time and I don't know if I imagined it in the bedlam. He certainly sounded like he'd had a good night on the radio this morning. Loved his reaction when asked about keeping everyone off the pitch. He just laughed and said 'Yeah, that went well didn't it?'

He was definitely blubbing!

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Did you cry?

Im not ashamed to say I did as everyone was running onto the field after the final whilste. I stood in my seat and shed a tear.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Nope. The surrealness of it all probably. It just felt very odd. The end of an era and the opening of an entirely new book in the history of our great club.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes.

And I just have again reading Henry Winter's report of the day: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brighton-seal-promotion-to-end-34-years-of-hurt-p2frnw6xz

(I know it's behind a paywall but if you register, you get 2 free articles a week. This one is well worth it.)

A snippet:

And certainly the passion of the supporters, many of whom kept the flame alive through the darkest of days, will enhance the Premier League. The largest-ever gathering of Albion fans at the Amex, 29,620, reported for duty yesterday. Nobody wanted to miss out. The Lewes Road park and ride was full early. Mill Road park and ride was soon crammed, with cars directed to Brighton Racecourse. Trains to Falmer were all-standing, often all-singing. This was the one, the moment that they had been waiting so long for.

It was a day of endless songs, probably becoming slurred as darkness fell. The game was preceded by a rousing rendition of Sussex by the Sea and soon the fans were loudly lauding Hughton, the dapper figure who rarely left the front of the technical area and was orchestrating this win over Wigan Athletic. Fans waved banners saluting the former chairman Dick Knight, who started the campaign to move to Falmer. They sang of rivalry: “Crystal Palace — we’re coming for you”.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Yes I did on 2 occasions. After hugging a random stranger in the West Lower who was crying, he set me off. When I then met Chris Hughton's wife and asked if her she could tell her husband how grateful I am, I started again and wandered onto the pitch. A lot of people were. The sight of a bloke crying into the arms of a police officer in the West Lower sticks in my mind too.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Nope. The surrealness of it all probably. It just felt very odd. The end of an era and the opening of an entirely new book in the history of our great club.

What set me off was the banner for Roy Chuter and Sarah Watts, it just hit home all the people we have lost in this journey, Karen Chuter, John (the rockshop) Stevenson, Uncle Tony such passonate and blindly loyal suppoters, and none who got to witness this day but who without them no one would have experiened it.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Yes.

And I just have again reading Henry Winter's report of the day: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brighton-seal-promotion-to-end-34-years-of-hurt-p2frnw6xz

(I know it's behind a paywall but if you register, you get 2 free articles a week. This one is well worth it.)

A snippet:

And certainly the passion of the supporters, many of whom kept the flame alive through the darkest of days, will enhance the Premier League. The largest-ever gathering of Albion fans at the Amex, 29,620, reported for duty yesterday. Nobody wanted to miss out. The Lewes Road park and ride was full early. Mill Road park and ride was soon crammed, with cars directed to Brighton Racecourse. Trains to Falmer were all-standing, often all-singing. This was the one, the moment that they had been waiting so long for.

It was a day of endless songs, probably becoming slurred as darkness fell. The game was preceded by a rousing rendition of Sussex by the Sea and soon the fans were loudly lauding Hughton, the dapper figure who rarely left the front of the technical area and was orchestrating this win over Wigan Athletic. Fans waved banners saluting the former chairman Dick Knight, who started the campaign to move to Falmer. They sang of rivalry: “Crystal Palace — we’re coming for you”.
That is a great article with rare accuracy about the fans' experience of the day.

On OP then... yes, of course, several times. To have been waiting nearly 40 years for something and then to have it delivered with such perfection, excitement and high emotions it would be strange not to shed a tear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here