Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Midfield four next season

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Three at the back seems a very probable approach and I see we are rumoured to be competing for Ryan Shawcross in today's media.

The media know nothing. If CH wants to play three at the back, we're already well served in that department. Uwe, Duffy and Dunk would be a formidable trio, assuming Goldson would need easing back next season.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
actually…..YES

Baldock in the squad as injury cover...

...oh the irony.

totally uncalled for comment! The guy has a great brain on him and has been very impressive this season. I believe that he has the ability to step up leagues by learning the subtle differences. Oh and he has pace which is always useful...

I think Baldy is a great player and will be a great player in the PL.

WAOOW

TTF

Baldock is one player, with his pace and other attributes, who is nailed on to be part of our PL squad. He's proved the doubters wrong before, but it appears he has one more to convince.

Only concern is his injury record.

Twattish comment of the week goes to you SIR!

You obviously don't see many games..Idiot!

You're a strange kind of 'supporter' - rubbishing our players before they've even had a chance to show what they can do.

Ashley Barnes?

Stoneham Park's football knowledge. :lolol:

Most people thought the same about Ashley Barnes....

Have you seen some of the players at Bournemouth and Burnley? Do you really think all of them are a massive cut above Baldock?

:fishing: Nine big ones today.

Baldock :bowdown:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Another vote for Ashley Baldock here!Hope we have asked the Baggies about keepin Pocognoli?Don't think they paid that much for him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Three at the back seems a very probable approach and I see we are rumoured to be competing for Ryan Shawcross in today's media.

Which paper is that in Severnside?

My son says there is quite a bit on twitter as well. Do we need another CB.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Hope we have asked the Baggies about keepin Pocognoli?Don't think they paid that much for him.

His contract with them expires at the end of the season. He's been asked about plans for next season by the media several times and hasn't ruled anything out, but can't see his future being with West Brom.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Centre pair from Stephens, Kayak and Sidwell. I thought Stephens and Sidwell were outstanding at Wolves (I know Wolves aren't Premier).
Maybe sign a midfielder with flair at some stage but I think our style next season will be based around a solid defence and keeping it tight.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I've had the misfortune to see Bournemouth around ten times this season and they've played a back four every time. But on the subject of the village team, I looked at them the other day and asked myself which of their players were any better than ours. And I came to the conclusion that I'd have Arter, King and Wilson when fit but none of the others.

Agreed. As far as I can tell, they've only played 3 at the back once - against Chelsea. I think the one thing we can learn from Bournemouth - by contrasting them to Middlesbrough - is that what a team really needs in the PL is attacking ability. There'll be a few heavy defeats along the way anyway but it's the sides that can go for it who survive.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I've had the misfortune to see Bournemouth around ten times this season and they've played a back four every time. But on the subject of the village team, I looked at them the other day and asked myself which of their players were any better than ours. And I came to the conclusion that I'd have Arter, King and Wilson when fit but none of the others.

I think Bournemouth played 4-4-3 (or 4-4-1-1) in their promotion year and 4-4-2 in their first season in the PL and gradually changed to a 4-2-3-1.

Not sure whether it is the best but maybe most likely?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I like Baldock, can finish and makes good runs off the ball but is not physically strong enough for this league let alone the premier league.

My original post was a wind up.
I think anyone that majorly contributes to a top 2 Championship finish should be able to hold their own in the Prem.

Vardy not strong enough? Lindgard?
Knocky's also a small guy.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Yeh he's been rubbish this season. What are you on?! [emoji849]

Never said he was rubbish, in fact quite the opposite if you read my comments!
However my point is that he gets muscled off the ball so easily now and in the Prem he will come up against physically stronger defenders than this league!

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
My original post was a wind up.
I think anyone that majorly contributes to a top 2 Championship finish should be able to hold their own in the Prem.

Vardy not strong enough? Lindgard?
Knocky's also a small guy.

I'm hoping he can!! But think he gets muscled off the ball so much in this league that the jump in standard and strength of defenders in Prem will be too much.
Like I said...I like Baldock...so hope proves me wrong!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Solly March might thrive in the Prem, he's got great feet, good crosser, can score from outside the box. I see him, Knocky and Stephens as our midfield regulars, but we need two strikers with pace.

JimmyJayUK

Feb 20, 2014
I'm hoping he can!! But think he gets muscled off the ball so much in this league that the jump in standard and strength of defenders in Prem will be too much.
Like I said...I like Baldock...so hope proves me wrong!

Muscled off the ball?......did you not see his goal vs Reading?

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Yes muscled off the ball. And it happens a lot and if you don't think there's any step up in strength and gamesmanship to Premier League defenders from defenders in this league you're deluded!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Never said he was rubbish, in fact quite the opposite if you read my comments!
However my point is that he gets muscled off the ball so easily now and in the Prem he will come up against physically stronger defenders than this league!

You said he's not strong enough for this league. He plainly is.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here