Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Garden Advice - yes I am that bored

Lush

Mods' Pet
Can any gardening folk on here tell me what this weed/plant is - and what's the best way of stopping it turning up EVERYWHERE - walls/pots/paths/soil etc?

IMG_2942.jpg

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It may be a Periwinkle, not sure that they climb though. Either way it looks like a plant that sends out runners that then root themselves, so the only way you will get rid of them completely is to pull all the runners and all the roots out, which in walls is pretty much impossible. You could use a general broad leaf weedkiller on them, but you will probably end up killing plants you want to keep as well. Controlling them is essentially cutting runners back that you don't want - a job that you will have to keep on top off throughout the summer otherwise they will continue to go everywhere.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Ivy leaved toadflax. Very pretty but very invasive. Has thin white roots which need taking out. Fraid there is no easy way to rid yourself of it. Weedkiller or gentle hand pulling.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It may be a Periwinkle, not sure that they climb though. Either way it looks like a plant that sends out runners that then root themselves, so the only way you will get rid of them completely is to pull all the runners and all the roots out, which in walls is pretty much impossible. You could use a general broad leaf weedkiller on them, but you will probably end up killing plants you want to keep as well. Controlling them is essentially cutting runners back that you don't want - a job that you will have to keep on top off throughout the summer otherwise they will continue to go everywhere.

Anyone else fail to make it past the second line of that post? :moo:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Ivy-Leaved Toadflax.
All about it here.
http://www.visitcobh.com/index.php/biodiversity-old-church-cemetery/ivy-leafed-toadflax/
Chemical control is the way to go, especially if it's growing out of walls. Even if you've got loads of it, it might be worth investing in a small hand-held sprayer (10-15 litre capacity), and some Glyphosate based weedkiller. You can cover loads of area in a small time. You don't need to spray until it's running off of the leaves, just a very light application and it will be gone in no time.

Just seen, someone's beat me to it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here