Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Albion will target Chris Hughton to be their new manager if they cannot land Tony Pulis'

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm guilty of lacking enthusiasm when he was appointed and his first season (half season really) didn't exactly inspire me either.

He has done well, without a doubt.

I don't remember being in or de fused about the appointment.

But by christ that first half season had me going insane.

Even with hindsight I still can't work out why CH took a failing system (in the looses sense of the word) and ran with it.
Only to then change it to 4-4-2, for the next season, be successful all without a major rebuild.

That 1 point from the 4 teams below the Albion that season was embarrassing, and most definitely relegation football.

Still it all turned out nice again.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don't remember being in or de fused about the appointment.

But by christ that first half season had me going insane.

Even with hindsight I still can't work out why CH took a failing system (in the looses sense of the word) and ran with it.
Only to then change it to 4-4-2, for the next season, be successful all without a major rebuild.

That 1 point from the 4 teams below the Albion that season was embarrassing, and most definitely relegation football.

Still it all turned out nice again.

He trusted Liam Best and he let him down big time. I seem to remember we only had O'Grady and Best as the choices up front, and Baldock may have been out injured.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I Didnt post on this thread, but a guy I worked with told me we would be out of the division in 2 deasons and ge would take us up. I laughed and thought he would do well to get us to finish in the top ten.

What people need to remember is the bad feeling about the place Hughton wasnt a glammer signing and at best people were hoping for another play off push in a few seasons. Just goes to show what a top Job he. And the club have done. Glad we never got Pulis though that was a shit option.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I was actually really happy we were talking to Hughton. I remember reading some good bits about him after he was shafted by Norwich (I'd not really followed them so only the articles made me form much of an opinion to be honest). I struggled that season as my first child was born so my priorities in life drastically lurched in a new direction. Plus a mate at work is Forest and I clearly remember two games in, we were last but for goal difference and they were top. Then every week bloody Assomblonga would score another couple (and we would loose). Whilst it seemed we were relying on Dunk. I think Dunk finished as top scorer, probably scored more than our strikers combined.

Was initially quite disappointed in Hughton because I naively thought that he'd turn it around quickly. I believed that we had what it took and originally I'd been so excited about that season, my two month old on my lap ready to be indoctrinated as early as possible (although she won't be a junior seagull until a week or so after her seventh birthday of course - traditions etc)

Anyway, it's ancient history now and we are so close I can taste it. I'm glad we went through all that I think, including last year. It's making this all the sweeter.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Says the man who wanted Sherwood and earlier on wouldn't have it when it was mentioned another team might win the league, like US for example.

At the end of the day, this is all just hindsight. Doesn't mean they're any more clueless than you.

The best thing is to engage brain before posting and not write anything that COULD make you look a bit silly months or years down the line. Have an opinion, of course, but leave yourself at least a BIT of wiggle room...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The best thing is to engage brain before posting and not write anything that COULD make you look a bit silly months or years down the line. Have an opinion, of course, but leave yourself at least a BIT of wiggle room...

Unlike deletebeepbeep then! :lolol:

I love a good bounce. I hope most will be delighted to be wrong and have a right chuckle.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes I agree, but how many ways of expressing disappointment in an appointment are there without looking stupid when it all works out so well?

I suppose you can stay quiet or add a caveat that "I hope I'm wrong" or whatever, but if you can't express an opinion at any given time, what is the point of the message board? :shrug:

I thought Adams was a shithouse appointment second time around, and was proved right. Did I bounce old threads to highlight those who were delighted we got him again? No. Because nobody likes an after-timer.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Loving some expert opinions earlier on this thread (glad I didn't have an opinion)

Who would rather now have: pulis, Sherwood, mackay or mcdermott?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Loving some expert opinions earlier on this thread (glad I didn't have an opinion)

Who would rather now have: pulis, Sherwood, mackay or mcdermott?

I'm too lazy to check but whatever happened to that future England manager McDermott?

I can remember being underwhelmed when Hughton was appointed, this was mainly based on Naarich fans assessment of his style of play and complete lack of charisma.

I'm quite happy to say I was wrong.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yes I agree, but how many ways of expressing disappointment in an appointment are there without looking stupid when it all works out so well?

I suppose you can stay quiet or add a caveat that "I hope I'm wrong" or whatever, but if you can't express an opinion at any given time, what is the point of the message board? :shrug:

I thought Adams was a shithouse appointment second time around, and was proved right. Did I bounce old threads to highlight those who were delighted we got him again? No. Because nobody likes an after-timer.

True, it's all part of being an online community and, at the end of the day, it doesn't REALLY matter what you say, or if you are proved wrong or right. But there is a way of putting it. I remember saying to a mate that for some reason I had a feeling Poyet might be a disaster. Turns out he wasn't and I held my hands up.

What gets me is when people are SO adamant about something but actually, their opinions are pretty baseless. How many times on here to people say we have to 'reserve judgement' about a player? Some of these posters had written off CH before he'd even made it to the training ground to sign the deal!

BY the way, LOVING the thumbs up from [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] on your comment. We all know he's the most INTELLIGANT poster on NSC :lol:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Really weird for me to see this thread and in particular the early pages of it. ''Ouch''

I recall something from around the same time from the other side of the fence when there were actually a couple of jobs offers on the table and I was surprised when they were turned down. When I asked why I was told. ''There are another couple of jobs coming up which I think will be better jobs'' - Didn't know who those jobs were at the time, although I found out quickly. He was obviously correct looking back in hindsight as well. Given where he is now. As opposed to where one of those other clubs is now that was rejected.

Looks like he chose right and some posters here chose wrong. Thankfully TB (And ERNEST GOT IT RIGHT). Note all Capitals Ernest

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I think at the time I was hoping we'd sign a sensible home grown manager style manager which meant I was happy with Hughton's appointment but was also a Chris Powell fan at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here