Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Dunk "Handball"

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Looked like a penalty to me. We'd have been annoyed if it was at the other end and not given.

And good news, another game for Dunk without a yellow. Looks like he may not get a three match suspension after all.

How many yellows has Dunk got now? Is it 12? If so, he can only miss a maximum of two games this season as it would take him 3 games to pick up another 3 yellow cards (assuming no red cards)

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Of course it was a penalty. Of course it was a foul beforehand.

However, Sky are not paying me any money to analyse it. So when the final whistle blew, we had another 3 points, that's all that matters. Ollie can scream and shout all he wants that his team are not being treated fairly but his team get decisions not due to them. Again he is getting paid indirectly to analyse it.

QPR will be safe so it doesn't really matter so I don't know why he needs to almost burst into tears over it all. His team played like Wimbledon did in the 1980s. I could coach that sort of football and they played it early in the match and not just the 2nd half.

Refs make at least 2 or 3 mistakes every match - There is nothing new in that and all the whinging in the world won't change the result. Things don't always necessarily even themselves out over the course of a season but every club gets their share of pros and cons from erroneous decisions.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
The ball hits Dunk's elbow but he tries to turn his left shoulder to get out of the way. The ball doesn't change direction so although there is contact, it doesn't really affect where it is going. The ref had a clear view of it.

Perch should have got a yellow at the very least, if not red.

In my view Dunky tried to turn away knowing it was going to hit his arm, I think the ref saw this movement and correctly gave the benefit of doubt to us, good decision, as for Perch's assault, that's just bad refereeing.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Thought at the match that it was a clear handball but having just watched the game this morning and seen Holloway moaning on I'm surprised he didn't see the clear push on Stephens immediately before it. The bloke who heads it was all over him.

If video replays came in would they look at that or just focus on the handball incident? Good example of why it it might not work very well?
Can't believe the fuss over that so called handball and yet no fuss over what was a straight red in my opinion :shrug:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Looked like the ball hit his moving arm so many refs would have given it but it also looked like a foul before that happened. there was a similar debate recently where Dunk's arm was knocked by the opposition and hit the ball. people were saying it could/should have been given but the whole story cried 'foul' before hand.

Dean Deyn

Nov 25, 2008
Is it not the case that if you get a yellow and a straight red in the same match, then the yellow counts towards the accumulated total. However if you get two yellows, and thus a red, neither yellow counts towards the total.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is it not the case that if you get a yellow and a straight red in the same match, then the yellow counts towards the accumulated total. However if you get two yellows, and thus a red, neither yellow counts towards the total.

That's how I see it, as the suspension of one match for the red is sufficient, otherwise it's being punished twice.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Thought at the match that it was a clear handball but having just watched the game this morning and seen Holloway moaning on I'm surprised he didn't see the clear push on Stephens immediately before it. The bloke who heads it was all over him.

If video replays came in would they look at that or just focus on the handball incident? Good example of why it it might not work very well?

If Rugby were the model, anything shown on the big screen, whether requested by the ref or not, can result in a change of decision by the referee or allow him to call back play for an infringement he hadn't previously seen.

So, if football adopted the same stance, even if the ref had thought it was hand ball (which it wasn't ... clearly ball-to-arm) then he could have pulled play back to the foul that occurred before.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that it was decided the video ref would only decide on a penalty or a goal so the previous foul wouldnt come in to the reckoning. If they went back far enough they could as an example say Grant Hall fouled Murray to get the ball initially then pumped it forward to Freeman who in turn crossed it for Dunk to handle. There has obviously got to be a time restraint on how far back they can go to determine any incident. Many times you hear people talking of a goal conceded and they say it all started with AK or Skalak losing the ball in the corner when attacking.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
If Rugby were the model, anything shown on the big screen, whether requested by the ref or not, can result in a change of decision by the referee or allow him to call back play for an infringement he hadn't previously seen.

So, if football adopted the same stance, even if the ref had thought it was hand ball (which it wasn't ... clearly ball-to-arm) then he could have pulled play back to the foul that occurred before.

I would hope they do something like what Rugby does. Which, IIRC, is to look at the entire "move" that lead up to a possible try. Although, I believe for Rugby they are also constrained by what the Ref asks for - the Ref can in some cases constrain the TV replay decision to only deal with the immediate "try or no try" (whether or not the ball was legally grounded) and preclude them from looking at the play leading up to the grounding of the ball.

Similar in cricket: in some cases the umpire can make a referral that precludes the TV ump from looking at the bigger picture. But they can also make open referrals ... so, for example, in the case of a bat-pad catch decision that was given not out, and gets referred, you can subsequently see the TV Ump give an out decision for LBW. But it all depends on how it gets referred. Gets a bit murky and confusing at times.

So ... I'd prefer a system where the TV ref would always be entitled to look at the entire "reasonable" portion of the play that lead up to a disputed decision, and base their decision(s) on full context. IMO any system that would award a penalty when there was a blatant foul by the attacking team in the same move would be broken. But likewise not awarding a penalty because the defending team fouled earlier in the same move would also be wrong (ie, TV ref should be allowed to utilise the concept of playing the advantage). But if that earlier foul was card-worthy, the card should still be awarded (in both cases).

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I would hope they do something like what Rugby does. Which, IIRC, is to look at the entire "move" that lead up to a possible try. Although, I believe for Rugby they are also constrained by what the Ref asks for - the Ref can in some cases constrain the TV replay decision to only deal with the immediate "try or no try" (whether or not the ball was legally grounded) and preclude them from looking at the play leading up to the grounding of the ball.

Similar in cricket: in some cases the umpire can make a referral that precludes the TV ump from looking at the bigger picture. But they can also make open referrals ... so, for example, in the case of a bat-pad catch decision that was given not out, and gets referred, you can subsequently see the TV Ump give an out decision for LBW. But it all depends on how it gets referred. Gets a bit murky and confusing at times.

So ... I'd prefer a system where the TV ref would always be entitled to look at the entire "reasonable" portion of the play that lead up to a disputed decision, and base their decision(s) on full context. IMO any system that would award a penalty when there was a blatant foul by the attacking team in the same move would be broken. But likewise not awarding a penalty because the defending team fouled earlier in the same move would also be wrong (ie, TV ref should be allowed to utilise the concept of playing the advantage). But if that earlier foul was card-worthy, the card should still be awarded (in both cases).

And that's football ruined, right there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here