Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Best Brighton Pizzerias IMO

#1 Fatto A Mano - London Road + Church Road
#2 VIP Pizza - Old Stein
#3 Bella Napoli - Marina
#4 Franco Manca - North Laine
#5 Nu Posto - West Street
Any of those good Italians, as well as good pizzerias?

Thanks for all the recommendations?
Any 'seconded', 'thirded' etc?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Another vote here for La Capaninna, just off St James St. Most of the staff used to work at Al Forno when it was indisputably the best in town. Very untrendy decor, but good food, cooked by Italians (which is not the case at many so-called Italian restaurants). That's not to say that other nationalities can't make decent pasta or pizza, of course.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Not a lot of people realise this, but Donatello's provide soup for the Brighton soup run everyday of the year for free. They never advertise that they do this, they just quietly do it because they are decent people. On top of the fact that they support the Albion, I always feel supporting them is a good thing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not a lot of people realise this, but Donatello's provide soup for the Brighton soup run everyday of the year for free. They never advertise that they do this, they just quietly do it because they are decent people. On top of the fact that they support the Albion, I always feel supporting them is a good thing.

Very good and worth a mention but it doesnt mean their food or service at the restaurant is good and value for money.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
A trip to the salad bar and a vegetarian pizza every time at Pinocchios. They also will take your Season Ticket for 10% off- effectively giving you free service.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Any of those good Italians, as well as good pizzerias?

Thanks for all the recommendations?
Any 'seconded', 'thirded' etc?

Fatto a Mano only does pizzas but they really are excellent (and I usually think pizzas are a bit 'meh'). Service is a bit haphazard though

If you want a proper Italian, I'll second (or third) La Capaninna, it's a great, old-fashioned Italian restaurant. There used to be several of these in every city but the chains have taken over - La Capaninna is a real throwback

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Casalingo, Preston Street. Amazing food and unrushed.

Pinocchios', Al Fresco, Donatello, the old Topolinos - were all connected one way or another historically - cheap price, average food and noisy. Italians living in Brighton and Italian visitors have all commmented that the food was unauthentic, due cheap ingredients probably churned out for the UK 'Italian' sector.

Casalingo, Preston Street. Amazing food and unrushed.

Pinocchios', Al Fresco, Donatello, the old Topolinos - were all connected one way or another historically - cheap price, average food and noisy. Italians living in Brighton and Italian visitors have all commmented that the food was unauthentic, due cheap ingredients probably churned out for the UK 'Italian' sector.

This Casalingo on a whole different level to the others mentioned. My favourite Italian by a country mile - be sure to book though.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Although with a reputation of being "cheap and cheerful", Donatellos takes a lot of beating. Al Duomo is a little up-market, but the food is not a lot better than Donatellos if at all. And they've pumped a lot of money in to the Albion.

Had a meal in there yesterday evening.
Good quality and great value for the money.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Donatellos is very much what you pay for but in my view good value for money.

Nearly always packed so says something about it.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
It's obviously not there now but does anybody recall the Italian that was in the same building prior to the Greenhouse Effect in Church Road Hove.

Probably had my best Italian meal there but must have been 1983-85.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Dirt cheap: all crap
£15 quid a head ish ....bottle of beer Pizza 500 (Preston Road, not just pizza, really good)
Proper meal, £30 + a head .... half a bottle of wine Casalingos

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
When I went to Italy in the 70's pizza really was a food you sat on the steps in the local square and ate for a bit of lunch. When people go out to an Italian restaurant over here they rarely order off of page one and two and that is mainly pizza or pasta. When our Italian family met for a proper nosh up it was totally different types of food. I know it's down to price but the test of how good the food is usually means paying a few bob more. I still love a good Ossobuco. My dad used to say that the trouble with an Italian meal is that 3 or 4 days later you're hungry again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here