Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Hughton too negative in the big games?

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Nobody has mentioned the masterstroke by Gary Monk to bring on Dallas when he saw what March was doing to them. These are the finer points that make a decent manager and CH has done similar when needed.

That was not a masterstroke, it was an obvious substitution to shore up the Leeds defence.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think most people have accepted the defeat because Huddersfield lost too, however, if we'd won yesterday I think Huddersfield would have been demoralized at the 9 point gap, now there is still everything to play for.

I think what is defining, from my own personal point of view, is a win yesterday would have left us virtually unassailable. A draw would have been handy and a defeat was 'as you were'. No damage was done. I said it before the game and say it again, it was a freebie. Sadly we didn't capitilise on it.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Nobody has mentioned the masterstroke by Gary Monk to bring on Dallas when he saw what March was doing to them. These are the finer points that make a decent manager and CH has done similar when needed.

Perhaps the biggest masterstroke was allowing Leeds to win this one,safe in the knowledge that Huddersfield blew up Friday,they (Leeds) after all are too far adrift to seriously overhaul us,but Huddersfield need pressure on them too-

I applaud Chris in allowing Albion to let this one slip-after all we always beat Leeds,so what other possible explanation is there for not another win.. :jester:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That was not a masterstroke, it was an obvious substitution to shore up the Leeds defence.

Had the boot been on the other foot and CH brought on DM to do the same he would have been slated on here for sitting on the win and not going for a 2nd goal the fact that he helped them attack and get the penalty is immaterial.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I can understand the mentality of keeping it tight in the first half, especially in tough away games, but on the few occasions we ran at the Leeds defence tonight they were shitting themselves. It's all very well trying to set up a 'counter attacking side' but sometimes I wonder if we'd be better off playing the likes of March from the start instead of giving the opposition too much respect.

Not the younger visionary type of coach. I would hope that Trollope would fit that role?

Meanwhile, I think the 72 minute substitutes are likely to do as much harm as good as the introduced players adjust from sitting on the bench to the pace of the game. 66 minutes for a new forward player when chasing a game.

I think we should try and play possession football when holding on to a single goal lead, but we are not so good as it as we use to be.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
....but we have been saying this about Murray away from home, all season. He starts most games and has scored two goals. Like Knockaert, he is a ' home pony ', in his comfort zone and performing well. CH should be giving Hemed a chance in away games. To bring on the immature and unproven Akpong yesterday was a baffling decision.

Tomer Hemed to start away games for me. I'm not sure whether he should replace Murray or Baldock ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think it's so much CH being negative in the big games as the tendency of the team to blow hot and cold. You never really know which Albion team is going to turn up on the day. Consistency is a problem IMHO.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I don't think it's so much CH being negative in the big games as the tendency of the team to blow hot and cold. You never really know which Albion team is going to turn up on the day. Consistency is a problem IMHO.

Football can sometimes be purely a matter of chance. We had enough chances to win or draw the game yesterday, but didn't as shots were cleared off the line, or the keeper saved it.

Palace won their game yesterday without a single shot on target.
Sometimes life just ain't fair, so you have to shrug your shoulders, say that's life, and look towards the next game.

We are second in the division, have the second best away record, the most number of clean sheets in the division and four goal scorers in double figures.
That seems fairly consistent to me.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Not the younger visionary type of coach. I would hope that Trollope would fit that role?

Meanwhile, I think the 72 minute substitutes are likely to do as much harm as good as the introduced players adjust from sitting on the bench to the pace of the game. 66 minutes for a new forward player when chasing a game.

I think we should try and play possession football when holding on to a single goal lead, but we are not so good as it as we use to be.
Somebody give me a clue what he's on about please?

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
I do think he gives certain teams too much respect such as today and the two Newcastle games. In all of those I think we would have been much better off attacking than trying to stifle.

he is conservative imho. Against Newcastle, he was going to bring on kayal for baldock with 10 to go and we're one nil up, that makes sense. They score 1-1 and yet a min later he still makes that substitution planned at 1-0, replacing an attacker for a midfielder?. Benitez, sensing blood goes for it and throws on an extra attacker and they win. In that moment the differing mentality is obvious, one manager wants to hang on to what he has, the other isnt satisfied and wants all 3 points.

When its must win (like Wednesday home last season or boro away) or we're behind in a regular game, he will go for it. But when its in the balance it often seems to be overly cautious/safety first, to try and protect your own throat rather than go for the oppositions throat. CH has done brilliantly, who can argue with his record, but in essence i think he is a cautious manager who only seems to gamble when he's forced to and that's ingrained into who he is.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
He played for a draw yesterday, and if we had got a point we all be happy.

But IMO Shame that March didn't come on at half time, as I didn't think Leeds were very good, we had the opportunity to put real daylight between us and Huddersfield.

CH knows what he's doing, that's why we will get promoted.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Completely irrelevant tbh. Spurs would be top of the premiership in last seasons table too, doesn't mean they have performed better over the course of the season.. maybe the quality of teams has got worse.

Not irrelevant when one poster on this thread said we were more consistent last season. Please read my post in that context.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

As in the consistency that saw us W14 D4 in 18 games up to Fulham A, you mean? No team has ever been 'consistent' over 46 games. (well, perhaps Rotherham have...) It is now about getting over the line. Think we shall do it.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Their first goal was a bit soft and it looked like Dunk could have dealt with it better. I'm not blaming him just pointing out the fine margins in the game. Tomori's penalty was unfortunate in an otherwise good performance from him. Bearing in mind that our defense was missing 3 of our first choice defenders we weren't really troubled until the goal.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Where is Dr No when you need him (apols if he's already posted - I don't think I'll be reading this bed wetting thread)?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Their first goal was a bit soft and it looked like Dunk could have dealt with it better. I'm not blaming him just pointing out the fine margins in the game. Tomori's penalty was unfortunate in an otherwise good performance from him. Bearing in mind that our defense was missing 3 of our first choice defenders we weren't really troubled until the goal.

It wasn't a soft goal. I'd rather believe Rosenior's description than yours, as I suspect he has a bit more experience than you.

[tweet]843390955743039488[/tweet]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here