Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Employment Question

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
I wonder if anyone can help?

I need to prove that I worked for a particular company that no longer exisits

I contacted the tax office and they have sent me record of my contributions, but not who they were made to!

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
From 1970 to 1992, I dont have any paperwork this is the problem.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
curious indeed why you'd need to prove employment with a company... come on, tell the class what you've done.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Ask your bank to formally confirm who paid you for 22 years.

It is almost inconceivable that you would have no paperwork relating to employment over this period...

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Ask your bank to formally confirm who paid you for 22 years.

It is almost inconceivable that you would have no paperwork relating to employment over this period...

Most don't do status requests for that type of thing anymore and data protection in the U.K. Means they're only bound to retain records for 7 years.

Were you a company director? If so deeds of appointment and resignation might still be available via Companies House.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Out of interest, why do you need to prove it. It's nearly 25 years since you worked for that company and whomever you are trying to prove it to can't check either. Did you pay into a pension or was it cash in hand work?

Also, did the company cease trading or did it merge with others and it's just the original name that is lost?

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
I worked for British Rail/Sealink for 22 years until 1992, this entitled me to free travel which I got until 2004 when I moved to Spain. I never bothered renewing my travel entitlement after moving as I thought I wouldn,t need it, however now I am coming up to retirement I may spend more time in the UK free travel may come in handy. I have contacted the people who arrange this and they say they can find no record of me working for Sealink.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Were you in a pension scheme there?

This is the inly way you would get the records now

HMRC used COP (Computerised PAYE) and CODA (Computerised Schedule D) during that time. They no longer use those systems and although there will be archived records they will not access their archives for individual Taxpayer request simply because they are under no obligation to do so.

There is a company which for a fee will track down and collate Private and Public Pension Contributions but I don't know the name of the company

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
No didn,t get any thing for 20 years service
Had a pension scheme but was frozen when I was made redundant and transferred to another provider.

Trade Union is a good suggestion, was a member of the TSSA for that time. Have checked their WEB site and sent my details seeing they can help.

Thanks for the ideas.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No didn,t get any thing for 20 years service
Had a pension scheme but was frozen when I was made redundant and transferred to another provider.

Trade Union is a good suggestion, was a member of the TSSA for that time. Have checked their WEB site and sent my details seeing they can help.

Thanks for the ideas.

The latter pension provider could confirm that your previous pension was transferred to them.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I don't recollect anybody actually "working" at British Rail or Sealink in the 1970's or 1980's although they employed a lot of people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here