Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moggy on Question Time Tonight- Bognor Regis

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Agreed. I know it's a sensitive subject, but the number of "self-employed " people who are actually employees is ridiculous. So in a way I can understand what Hammond was aiming at, but IMO he got it completely wrong. Attack the root of the problem, not the workers.

This is all true but also the amount of people that have gone back to work because they can no longer get the benefits they were once getting have gone self employed (properly) this is because they struggle to get a job because they have been out of work for quite some time and have no experience or training etc or don't want very low paid jobs.
Now I am not saying that is a bad thing and it is keeping the governments employment figures up but the down side is that they are starting businesses that need no skill, for example, window cleaning, and suddenly the market is stuffed with window cleaners.
My sincere apologies to all good window cleaners but these new starters are not doing the best of jobs and have not invested in the equipment needed to do the best job.
There are many unskilled businesses out there I just used window cleaning as an example.
Also I don't care that the self employed now get pensions etc, they should still not pay the same tax because it is still nothing like being employed.
This is a major balls up by Hammond going after their own and the rise in the self employed is not only the above post but created by the Tories to get people back to work, and then stuffing them.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Angela Eagle has been having coaching in speaking in a more meeeeeeaaaaasured way. Much calmer.
I've noticed this way of speaking with a lot of politicians at the moment. It's as if they've attended the Robert Peston Speech Academy?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
At least she stood up for the Sussex wine industry, making the point that post-Brexit tariffs will price the product out of its major export market.

If it was cheaper it might have a home market to exploit ....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well, as the pound plummets to a level where we can't even buy plonk from Europe, let alone the good stuff, we'll have to guzzle the local stuff. Great news for the Sussex wine industry, yes?

Please let me know when it hits £6 a bottle, ta.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here