Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, just how rubbish is modern football?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Your thoughts please.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
FB_IMG_1468388336822.jpg

Football to me is a day out with some mates having a drink and shouting/singing.

Yes the quality has got much better but it just seems to be more about acting/influencing Referees these days.

To summarise:

A bit.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Do I miss old school terracing, surges, full blooded tackles and it being a more level playing field? Yes.

Do I still love modern football? Absolutely.

Apart from Sky having carte Blanche to move games willy nilly, that's just plain wrong. I hate that.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The game itself - phenomenal, lightyears ahead of where it was a few decades ago.

A lot of the stuff around it - some bits better, but most worse than it used to be.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I don't find it rubbish at all, but then I don't go to games these days, just see it on TV. However, if I did still go, I'd rather be heading to the Amex than the crumbling Goldstone or Withers. The game isn't perfect - I don't like diving etc. - but nothing ever is perfect.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
All the answers are contained here

View attachment 82880

Fantastic book - would recommend it to anyone. Explains to non-football fans all the little things that we love, and that bond us to other fans. Also doesn't really apply to armchair fans, it's pretty much all about those moments you get from actually going to the games.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
When did football become modern?

Was it when Spurs built the first corporate stand in England?

Was it when Arsenal moved from South London to North London?

Was it when we introduced the League cup?

Or was it when England finally decided to join in with the World cup?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Our domestic game is still fantastic, some good and bad things have gone, some good and bad things have arrived.

It's the European competition evolution that has gone to shit. The European Cup and an almost equally prestigious UEFA Cup were better times. Even the CWC was interesting.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
So, just how rubbish is modern football? Your thoughts please.

Compared to what? The pies at the Amex? The Singles Chart? Cricket? Hang gliding?
If you mean (only) football - when did 'Modern' begin? And in what country? Or what region of the world? Do you mean top-tier professional football, lower-tier, amateur?
Pointless question :wrong: :facepalm:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When did football become modern?

Was it when Spurs built the first corporate stand in England?

Was it when Arsenal moved from South London to North London?

Was it when we introduced the League cup?

Or was it when England finally decided to join in with the World cup?

1992. Football became modern when Sky bought it.

Now that they own it, it'll never been the same again.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Modern v 20-30 years ago when you couldn't go to a game without a fear of getting beaten up, stabbed or worse. No matter how much you dislike the opposition team and fans, a game where 2 men die because they support the other team is just wrong on every level. (Leeds v Galatasaray in 2000).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The actual matches can be – and often are – fantastic.

All the BS that goes with it – transfer speculation; 'EXCLUSIVE' stories in the papers; endless discussions on dedicated radio and TV channels; the sense of entitlement shown by some current and former players etc, etc – I could quite frankly do without.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Do I enjoy going to matches as much as I did 30 years ago? Yes, absolutely.

So by that measure 'modern football' is fine.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Modern v 20-30 years ago when you couldn't go to a game without a fear of getting beaten up, stabbed or worse. No matter how much you dislike the opposition team and fans, a game where 2 men die because they support the other team is just wrong on every level. (Leeds v Galatasaray in 2000).

Also, rasist and homophobic chanting used to exists in the 'olden' era of football. Football special trains were treated like public toilets. Players were part time alcoholics. Some were even pissed whilst they were playing.

The modern era really does need to sort itself out. Bring back the past I say!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here