Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber - ID checks of fans at away games?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Let's wait and see how it transpires. It's a relatively fair point to raise and warn people about. I'd be surprised if there's a horde of Albion stewards at QPR militantly checking everyone's ID - but for some reason should they suspect someone is taking the piss, it gives them the chance to say "we warned you".

I think that's right, just by threatening that they will do this, doesn't mean that they actually will. Perhaps they think that the threat will be enough? Even if they do follow through with it, it will prove next to impossible to check any more than a few tickets, unless they want long queues to build up at turnstiles, or to incovenience an awful lot of people inside the ground.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I think that's right, just by threatening that they will do this, doesn't mean that they actually will. Perhaps they think that the threat will be enough? Even if they do follow through with it, it will prove next to impossible to check any more than a few tickets, unless they want long queues to build up at turnstiles, or to incovenience an awful lot of people inside the ground.

They could just use it in the event of trouble, any little bit of trouble like back chatting etc. and check the ticket and ban the holder and the buyer. By putting this rule in and saying they may have stewards at grounds, it will surely deter people from doing this and will give them the option of banning both parties.

A friend of mine has 4 season tickets and he is on my friends & family. In theory, I could have bought 4 extra tickets for Forest along with mine and taken mates who could not get tickets. As there was only 2,000 available for Forest, would this have been fair to other supporters that wanted tickets? There is obviously no issue in doing this when we are playing away to clubs that give us plenty of tickets or clubs that are miles up north and playing on a Tuesday night but this is changing as we get more successful and will change significantly next season if we go up.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
They could just use it in the event of trouble, any little bit of trouble like back chatting etc. and check the ticket and ban the holder and the buyer. By putting this rule in and saying they may have stewards at grounds, it will surely deter people from doing this and will give them the option of banning both parties.

A friend of mine has 4 season tickets and he is on my friends & family. In theory, I could have bought 4 extra tickets for Forest along with mine and taken mates who could not get tickets. As there was only 2,000 available for Forest, would this have been fair to other supporters that wanted tickets? There is obviously no issue in doing this when we are playing away to clubs that give us plenty of tickets or clubs that are miles up north and playing on a Tuesday night but this is changing as we get more successful and will change significantly next season if we go up.

Agreed.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I don't agree with what PB is proposing on the basis that the problem isn't a major issue but I disagree with your comment. STH and home tickets is money into the club. Those that just go to away games aren't putting money into their club so why should they get priority over home supporters.

Those that put the effort in to go away should get priority for away games that have demand greater than supply. Buying a season ticket requires no effort. Travelling to Blackburn on a Tuesday does.

This isn't a personal thing as I do both.

I think there needs to be a better balance when it comes to loyalty points. 1000 for a ST and 10 for an away game is too far apart IMHO. For clarity, I'm 23, have been to 51/92 with Brighton and have been a ST holder every year since the second of back-to-back promotion seasons apart from last year when I couldn't afford one.

Whilst I agree that ST holders are paying directly to the club and are therefore more valuable, I don't think money spent is a good indicator of how "loyal" you are. If it all it comes down to is money the let people buy Loyalty Points at the club shop and be done with it. The system needs revamping. With away games being awarded more points than they currently are and also some kind of distinction between Brentford away on a Saturday and a Tuesday at Rotherham.

Somebody could go to every away game for 10 years, but not have a season ticket and they'd be on roughly 250 points at the start of the season and 440 at the end before being reset back to 220 to star the cycle again. Is that person really not as loyal as Mark, 37 who was a Manchester United fan until 2014 but now has a ST at The Amex?

A system where extremely frequent travelling to away games could put you on level footing with ST holders would be a fairer way of doing a Loyalty scheme.

For example;

1000 points for a ST
100 points for a home cup game WHEN USED.

25 points for games within 125 miles
50-75 points for games with 125-250 miles depending on exact distance, KO time & Price.
75-100 points for games over 250 miles depending on exact distance, KO time & Price.

For any high-point game under a certain price point (e.g Huddersfield this year) introduce a system where points can only be redeemed if the game is attended. Either by asking the home club to send us the ticket stubs if they can identify the ticket or have club officials collect stubs within the away ground. Admittedly this would require some thinking from the club to find a working system but is by no means impossible.

That's my two pence worth anyway.

It's not a flawless idea but it would work much better than the current system

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Obviously we understand the clubs rationale behind this statement, but it is at best misguided, and at worst downright malicious, whether the intention is there or not.

In effect they’re saying there are 2 types of “abuses” here, and have decided to deal with them both exactly the same. The first one they’re trying to weed out are the fans who are systematically using their high number of loyalty points to regularly pass on their away tickets to other fans who either have none, or are lower down the scale. How many fans are actually doing this ? Is it truly widespread ? The very nature of having a high number of loyalty points suggests that these people are indeed loyal fans of the club, so how many times are their tickets actually getting passed on down the scale ? I can’t imagine its THAT often, but the club have decided its happening enough, and so it needs crushing.

But in looking to deal with this “abuse”, they are putting a whole bunch of loyal fans in the same boat as the ones that they feel are systematically doing this as an “abuse” all the time. No differentiation. So someone who bought a ticket in good faith but then cannot make the game, is presumably stuck with it and out of pocket. No passing it on to a friend or family member, for risk of them getting an ID Gestapo Officer at the turnstile or inside the ground demanding to see photo ID, and all the fallout and subsequent consequences that would befall both parties (ticket buyer and ticket holder) when the ID doesn’t match the buyer.

And for what ? What CRIME has been committed ? Someone wants to go and watch a game of football and support their team, but may or may not be quite as far up the loyalty points ladder as someone else who dipped out on a ticket probably through not being quick enough off the mark when they went on sale. Is that really worth bringing this in for ?

They can dress it up all they like as “protecting the loyal fans”, but this sucks the big one, and is a policy that will serve to alienate a LOT more fans than it satisfies. I say again – any herbert who comes up to me at a game and demands I show them ID will be told to shove it.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I think there needs to be a better balance when it comes to loyalty points. 1000 for a ST and 10 for an away game is too far apart IMHO.
25 points for games within 125 miles
50-75 points for games with 125-250 miles depending on exact distance, KO time & Price.
75-100 points for games over 250 miles depending on exact distance, KO time & Price.

Is that the distance from The Amex or the residence?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...They can dress it up all they like as “protecting the loyal fans”, but this sucks the big one, and is a policy that will serve to alienate a LOT more fans than it satisfies. I say again – any herbert who comes up to me at a game and demands I show them ID will be told to shove it.

I rather suspect you would actually show them a bank card or similar from your wallet and carry on enjoying your day out watching the Albion. It doesn't really seem like a fight worth having at the time. By all means rage against the machine after the event etc...

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
What do I do ? I have sat with friend since Amex opened. He has now told me moving away and will not renew. My son is moving back to area and wants the ticket and will be great to go to Albion with him. Until I saw Barbers email I was going to ring up ticket office and change name. Can I assume this will not be allowed and ticket will have to go to somebody on there list because if this is so I will not renew. Part of enjoyment to me is going with a friend or family and am Also not willing to change seat. Whilst we dont have long conversations with those around we all ackowledge each other which again helps match day experience. I only have until 15th March

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They can dress it up all they like as “protecting the loyal fans”, but this sucks the big one, and is a policy that will serve to alienate a LOT more fans than it satisfies. I say again – any herbert who comes up to me at a game and demands I show them ID will be told to shove it.

Are you really that bloody precious?

If I walked into a ground and someone asked to see my ticket and then looked at an iPad or something and said "This ticket was sold to a Mr D McKay - would you have anything on you today that verifies that is you?" I'd get out a debit or credit card, they'd take a quick glance and I'd be on my way.

There's really no need to be an arse about it, should it happen to you, which it almost certainly won't.

The alternative is probably rocking up at the Amex for the next game and my season ticket being blocked. All because I got a bit flouncy at an away game.

Knock yourself out if you want comrade.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

If I walked into a ground and someone asked to see my ticket and then looked at an iPad or something and said "This ticket was sold to a Mr D McKay - would you have anything on you today that verifies that is you?" I'd get out a debit or credit card, they'd take a quick glance and I'd be on my way.

There's really no need to be an arse about it, should it happen to you, which it almost certainly won't.

The alternative is probably rocking up at the Amex for the next game and my season ticket being blocked. All because I got a bit flouncy at an away game.

Shame you're only allowed to give a post one thumbsup.

Here - have a few more:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Obviously we understand the clubs rationale behind this statement, but it is at best misguided, and at worst downright malicious, whether the intention is there or not.

In effect they’re saying there are 2 types of “abuses” here, and have decided to deal with them both exactly the same. The first one they’re trying to weed out are the fans who are systematically using their high number of loyalty points to regularly pass on their away tickets to other fans who either have none, or are lower down the scale. How many fans are actually doing this ? Is it truly widespread ? The very nature of having a high number of loyalty points suggests that these people are indeed loyal fans of the club, so how many times are their tickets actually getting passed on down the scale ? I can’t imagine its THAT often, but the club have decided its happening enough, and so it needs crushing.

But in looking to deal with this “abuse”, they are putting a whole bunch of loyal fans in the same boat as the ones that they feel are systematically doing this as an “abuse” all the time. No differentiation. So someone who bought a ticket in good faith but then cannot make the game, is presumably stuck with it and out of pocket. No passing it on to a friend or family member, for risk of them getting an ID Gestapo Officer at the turnstile or inside the ground demanding to see photo ID, and all the fallout and subsequent consequences that would befall both parties (ticket buyer and ticket holder) when the ID doesn’t match the buyer.

And for what ? What CRIME has been committed ? Someone wants to go and watch a game of football and support their team, but may or may not be quite as far up the loyalty points ladder as someone else who dipped out on a ticket probably through not being quick enough off the mark when they went on sale. Is that really worth bringing this in for ?

This. This. Ow and THIS again. Well said.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

That's the thing though isn't it. Apparently if I'm not carrying an ID on me, or have the temerity to ask why the bloody hell I have to prove who I am to watch a football match I've paid to go to, I'M being an arse about it.

That, my friend, would severely test my loyalty to BHAFC. Not that Barber would give a toss I suppose.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What do I do ? I have sat with friend since Amex opened. He has now told me moving away and will not renew. My son is moving back to area and wants the ticket and will be great to go to Albion with him. Until I saw Barbers email I was going to ring up ticket office and change name. Can I assume this will not be allowed and ticket will have to go to somebody on there list because if this is so I will not renew. Part of enjoyment to me is going with a friend or family and am Also not willing to change seat. Whilst we dont have long conversations with those around we all ackowledge each other which again helps match day experience. I only have until 15th March

Think this is an entirely separate issue. All the time we have maximum number of season ticket holder and a waiting list then I can understand why the club don't allow you to transfer the ticket into your sons name. They might lose you as a STH but if they have two on the waiting list not sure they will be too concerned (sadly).

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Until you say, I haven't or don't want to and have travelled 500 miles for nothing because you're refused entry...Football is the most customer unfriendly business as it is and its really quite breathtaking how they find new ways to piss fans off every year. There are days when i genuienly want the whole sorry sport to implode and start again with the fans front and centre of the game in every aspect. If only...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Until you say, I haven't or don't want to and have travelled 500 miles for nothing because you're refused entry...Football is the most customer unfriendly business as it is and its really quite breathtaking how they find new ways to piss fans off every year. There are days when i genuienly want the whole sorry sport to implode and start again with the fans front and centre of the game in every aspect. If only...

I really can't see that happening.

I would imagine that if someone said they had nothing on them with their name on it, they would simply be asked to take something to the next home game.

That's probably where it does get interesting though as surely a photo would need to be taken in order to ensure it is the right person who validates themselves at the Amex. I'm guessing here but I can't see how else it could be done.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

It's not allowed. I have a similar conundrum, my eldest is now working and can't get to many games, he's been to 3 so far this season. I rang the club back in September and asked if I could put the ticket in my Dad's name and was told No. I then asked if I could upgrade the ticket for the whole season for my Dad and after initially saying yes, the person I was speaking to realised that as my dad is an OAP & my son U21 the cost was the same and therefore no upgrade was necessary. They actually said 'your Dad can use your son's ticket all season, the lights at the turnstiles are the same for OAP's & U21's and the stewards know they are the same cost'. My dad has indeed used it all season and never had a problem. But the club statement also says that 'reallocating a ST' to a member of family or friend is not allowed. So now my dad is running the risk that he maybe challenged on match day, probably unlikely but a risk nonetheless. I also have a 5 year old that I'd like to start taking so ideally I'd put the ST in his name but no chance of that. We are in a row of 8 friends, I'm not renewing my U21's ST and his seat is 3rd in the row of 8. So the club are banking on selling that 1 ST to someone in the waiting list, lucky them!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Until you say, I don't want to and have travelled 500 miles for nothing because you're refused entry

But WHY would you travel 500 miles, then refuse, and ruin your own day and waste a shitload of money, just to make your point? Wouldn't most normal people just flash a card from their wallet, smile at the chap, and head to the bar?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Whilst the concept of ensuring the most loyal/deserving fans get first dibs at tickets in high demand is admirable, is it really worth alienating a large minority of fans who see it all as a bit 'Big Brother' when the problem itself is insignificant? I guess it probably is all the time we are a successful football club, but if and when we do slip back to old ways will the new modern football fans turn up week in, week out, supporting the team through thick or thin? I rather doubt it.

I am rather sad that I will not see MY football team back in the top league next season as I will not be here in the UK, On the other hand I also see it as an opportunity to release myself from my blind loyalty to an industry which takes me for granted, ignores my civil liberties and makes me feel that I owe it something, whilst at the same time fleecing me for the privilege! I am looking forward to watching from afar via Fox Sports, whilst having a cold beer late in the evening, watching cricket and soccer live whilst having a beer in my seat, oh so very different. On this note it was a pleasure a couple of weeks back to watch Worthing FC whilst a having a 'man chat' and a pint standing on the touchline. There are some things that TB's money cannot buy (cue Ipswich). #againstmodernfootball

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Sadly, phoning up will not get the seat transferred. The club will want to give it to someone who has paid to get on the waiting list. There will be no flexibility and even offering to pay the waiting list fee won't help.

The only options I can see is for the friend giving up the seat to buy a very very expensive seat licence, and then sell you the licence and transfer the season ticket, or to bend the rules and renew the current seats but one would still be in your friends name.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I really can't see that happening.

I would imagine that if someone said they had nothing on them with their name on it, they would simply be asked to take something to the next home game.

That's probably where it does get interesting though as surely a photo would need to be taken in order to ensure it is the right person who validates themselves at the Amex. I'm guessing here but I can't see how else it could be done.
Ow I can. The gorillas who make up the vast majority of stewards would love nothing better than a full on 'code 1' document / process invalid chance to stop a fan (aka scum, hooligan, animal) and an away one at that being refused entry. They'd be positively salivating at the thought. Remember, you're a piece of shit to be shovelled onto its toilet seat and any 'backchat' (disagreement) will and does end badly for fans. Every time. No matter how polite or aggrieved you are. Ow, and we'll judge jury and execute on the spot too with no right of appeal or proof necessary. And for good measure we'll take 6hundred quid off you for the previlage. But we are doing this out of true concern for you our loyal customers...honest...:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here