Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber - ID checks of fans at away games?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If that's the case it is a shame it wasn't passed on by a 1901 member, in which case it would not have been a problem. The hypocrisy of it all stinks.

1901 members are not allowed to transfer away game tickets, only their home ST. Exactly the same as for other ST holders who have purchased a seat licence.

It is the purchase of the seat licence that grants the holder the right to transfer their home tix. 1901 seats come with the licence as part of the price; other ST holders have it as an optional extra.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Lets go the whole hog and do urine samples. That way Barber can literally take the piss out of his 'customers' as well as metaphorically.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
1901 members are not allowed to transfer away game tickets, only their home ST. Exactly the same as for other ST holders who have purchased a seat licence.

It is the purchase of the seat licence that grants the holder the right to transfer their home tix. 1901 seats come with the licence as part of the price; other ST holders have it as an optional extra.

So how does the quote posted by Kalimantan Gull fit in with this?

Incidentally, in the Home Ticket T&C's is this phrase:

"In the event that you and/or your Guest are unable to use any Home Match Ticket then you may transfer that Home Match Ticket(s) to a natural person who is known to you personally who would be entitled (under the Terms & Conditions of Entry) to purchase such Home Match Ticket and attend such Match PROVIDED THAT such transfer takes place in consideration of no payment or benefit in excess of the face value of the Home Match Ticket, .."

I think that's fairly clear, and in the absence of any T&C's published regarding the sale of away tickets, I would have thought this would have equally applied?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Surely the way round this is just to say you have no I.D if asked. It's illegal to search you and you can agree to present it at a later date. They would be on very dodgy ground legally if they banned a supporter from future away games for failing to provide I.D at time and I'm sure it could be challenged in courts.

Although you could refuse to show ID they could also refuse entry to that particular game I would think. Whether they would or not remains to be seen.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So how does the quote posted by Kalimantan Gull fit in with this?

Incidentally, in the Home Ticket T&C's is this phrase:

"In the event that you and/or your Guest are unable to use any Home Match Ticket then you may transfer that Home Match Ticket(s) to a natural person who is known to you personally who would be entitled (under the Terms & Conditions of Entry) to purchase such Home Match Ticket and attend such Match PROVIDED THAT such transfer takes place in consideration of no payment or benefit in excess of the face value of the Home Match Ticket, .."

I think that's fairly clear, and in the absence of any T&C's published regarding the sale of away tickets, I would have thought this would have equally applied?

The important bit there is "entitled" - if a match is sold out to say everybody above 1,200 points then a person on 1,190 would not be entitled to a ticket. This is the problem which they are trying to stop unfortunately its the minority who abuse this.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
" Excuse me mate are you going to watch Leeds v Albion? You're going to have to take your passport, but when voting for the Government that makes the laws that govern football fans, you won't need any form of ID"

That's no longer the case. There's been a change in the law and you can no longer fill in a form to get on the electoral roll, you do now have to show identity documents.

It's still a ludicrous idea to have to take passports to an away game though

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I havent read the thread, too many pages, but I assume somebody was either nicked or ejected from Forest who didnt buy the ticket himself and was using somebody elses points. How else would they know?

It would have been useful if PB had given examples of why this policy needs to be introduced but I think you may be on the right track.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Surely the way round this is just to say you have no I.D if asked. It's illegal to search you and you can agree to present it at a later date. They would be on very dodgy ground legally if they banned a supporter from future away games for failing to provide I.D at time and I'm sure it could be challenged in courts.

All the way to the Supreme Court if necessary. It's worth it.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
That's no longer the case. There's been a change in the law and you can no longer fill in a form to get on the electoral roll, you do now have to show identity documents.

It's still a ludicrous idea to have to take passports to an away game though

Yes but when you go to vote you need absolutely nothing. I could IN Theory walk to four different polling stations, saying 4 surnames and addresses - you don't even need your polling card.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I know your game Mr Barber, personalized scarf sales are not going too well and Barbers next statement is going to be a personalized scarf with name and fan number on it is going to be acceptable ID for a Brighton fan.
He never misses a money making scheme that draws money out of us fans, no sorry I mean customers.

Not a fan of Paul Barber by the look of it. The punchbag CEO, absorbing all the shots from those disgruntled about BOARD decisions.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Not a fan of Paul Barber by the look of it. The punchbag CEO, absorbing all the shots from those disgruntled about BOARD decisions.

Not a fan no, he has far too much to say for himself in my view.
Yes he is probably absorbing the shots from BOARD decisions, but how many of those decisions are made and passed that are Barbers recommendations in the first place?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
There does need to be some common sense around this. If it's in the sake of 'fairness' then the club seem to have annoyed a lot of people who didn't consider there was a problem anyway. If it's about preventing trouble, then that's good but I'd always assumed there was a fairly solid safety measure built into the system i.e. If someone using your loyalty points or ticket gets into bother at the game, you pretty much know you're in trouble yourself, potentially losing access to future Albion matches. I've often helped out a mate in the past who was a Goldstone regular and lifelong Albion fan but now can't get to many matches for work and location reasons. I'm sure lots of people have done the same to go with a friend if, for instance, their usual Albion companion can't make it. But I'd never just give my ticket to some random nutter.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes but when you go to vote you need absolutely nothing. I could IN Theory walk to four different polling stations, saying 4 surnames and addresses - you don't even need your polling card.

True at the moment, but that's changing as well. For the next GE, you'll have to show photo ID (as you do already in NI)

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
There does need to be some common sense around this. If it's in the sake of 'fairness' then the club seem to have annoyed a lot of people who didn't consider there was a problem anyway. If it's about preventing trouble, then that's good but I'd always assumed there was a fairly solid safety measure built into the system i.e. If someone using your loyalty points or ticket gets into bother at the game, you pretty much know you're in trouble yourself, potentially losing access to future Albion matches. I've often helped out a mate in the past who was a Goldstone regular and lifelong Albion fan but now can't get to many matches for work and location reasons. I'm sure lots of people have done the same to go with a friend if, for instance, their usual Albion companion can't make it. But I'd never just give my ticket to some random nutter.

Exactly and we all police ourselves (although obviously this can go wrong) if a bloke is a nobhead you won't take him to the next away game. This draconian rule is pathetic and goes against the whole ethos of the club

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
True at the moment, but that's changing as well. For the next GE, you'll have to show photo ID (as you do already in NI)

I didn't know that was coming in, good idea imo always seemed strange voting without showing ID

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
As it has always been. And as it should be as season tickets provide important and predictable income. Fans who have season tickets AND travel away a lot will still always have the best chance of getting tickets for big games. Not keen on the ID plan at all - but it's surely only an attempt to make sure the most deserving fans get first dibs.
I can't see why many who feel they're in that category are so against the concept - even if the method is all a bit 1984.

I'm in that category, but cannot see why this method is being introduced. I just don't understand how it is going to be policed. Policed being the operative word here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here