Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber - ID checks of fans at away games?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I suspect this isn't about fairness as much as restricting the large number of bell-ends who on some days clearly manage to get tickets despite being in high demand. Forest was proof of this - sold out weeks ago, yet a few of our idiots (rarely seen north of London) got hold of tickets.

It's the risk of trouble they're trying to eliminate I think.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
If they are selling you a ticket, and they add this to their T&C that they have the right to do so ("In completing this purchase you hereby agree to our terms and conditions", click this little box to agree), then why wouldn't they??

Fair question. And as I hinted, I'm not a hotshot lawyer. But it's very hard to imagine them being able to *insist* on a ID check and ticket match either in the street or inside the stadium being visited. We're not talking about Falmer here.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
How on earth to you 'police' that? If you can't buy it for someone else to use, then you can't pass it on just because you decide you can't go.

Exactly. Could be a perfectly genuine reason its been passed on because someone couldn't go. But no, the ticket now either has to be binned, or you go through a load of admin to get it back to the club and get a refund (minus a fee no doubt). And all because the club has got a bee in its bonnet over a few instances of this going on, when nobody has kicked up a fuss about it anyway!

Actually being asked for ID for being at a football match, Christ, I thought all that malarkey died with Thatcher and Moynihan

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I do rate Paul Barber as a CEO and see a lot of good he has done for the club, but can't help feel sometimes he does go OTT against problems that don't really exist.

I never thought I'd see the day that Brighton bring in measures similar to follow England away.....

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Let's wait and see how it transpires. It's a relatively fair point to raise and warn people about. I'd be surprised if there's a horde of Albion stewards at QPR militantly checking everyone's ID - but for some reason should they suspect someone is taking the piss, it gives them the chance to say "we warned you".

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Might as well go the whole hog and have them check our passports at the turnstile.

Gary1

Oct 25, 2013
And what ID do you need. I wouldn't take a passport or driving licence with me to a football match and surely it's got to be photo ID,otherwise you could a ticket in a different name and some ID with that person's name on it.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
so if Junior Soprano can't go to an away game now Mrs Soprano can't use his ticket and loyalty points
So if junior Soprano can't go to a game I'll have to go on my own....really

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
How can this possibly be enforced? Barber is saying it is going to be AT away games, so the club is going to have to get permission to do this from every away team, because when you buy an away ticket you're buying a ticket from nottingham forest (or whoever), not our club - so you're abiding by the issuing clubs T&Cs - Barber can't just tack a few more on. If someone came up to me inside or outside an away ground posing as a member of BHAFC staff demanding to see an ID - I'd tell em where to go without thinking twice. Problem solved.

As per usual Barber has seen a small, leigitimate problem and taken a ****ing bulldozer to it, made himself look like a complete ****ing idiot and a man wholely disinterested in the fans (no wait, customers :facepalm:)

He's an absolute bellend of the highest order. Still cannot believe he gets paid £250k PLUS a year to come up with these bollocks schemes.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As per usual Barber has seen a small, leigitimate problem and taken a ****ing bulldozer to it, made himself look like a complete ****ing idiot and a man wholely disinterested in the fans (no wait, customers :facepalm:)

He's an absolute bellend of the highest order. Still cannot believe he gets paid £250k PLUS a year to come up with these bollocks schemes.

I think you're being a bit out of order here... but yes I do agree it all seems a bit mad.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Fair question. And as I hinted, I'm not a hotshot lawyer. But it's very hard to imagine them being able to *insist* on a ID check and ticket match either in the street or inside the stadium being visited. We're not talking about Falmer here.

They might not be able to insist but instead request with powers to refuse to admit to the ground if the person doesn't comply. I imagine it's something you would have to agree to as a purchaser of a ticket. I'm sure that football lawyers have been consulted as to the legality of any move towards this.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Massive own goal from the club on both fronts, loyalty points and season tickets not being allowed to be kept in the family if a child moves to uni and stops going then another child in the family can't start using that ticket, ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
So when i phone up and ask for an adult ticket in my sons name (s/t u18) there has never been a problem in the past so i assume that was ok ? Now its not ? They sold it to me and why would i buy an adult ticket as my son is well under 18 if i wasnt taking another Albion fan with me? As far as i can tell its there fault for selling it to me in the 1st place but i woildnt let any old herbert have it. So after the Qpr game im assuming that'll be the last time it could be done now we have been warned?

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
so if Junior Soprano can't go to an away game now Mrs Soprano can't use his ticket and loyalty points
So if junior Soprano can't go to a game I'll have to go on my own....really

This is exactly my problem. Girlfriend doesn't have a ST as can't make weekend games, so uses my son's when he can't make it (ie Tuesday games).
So that's not a problem, but for when he can't come to an away game, normally a northern one, she drives and uses his ticket. So now if she can't use it, I'll be paying a fortune for the train and going on my own, or not going at all.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
How big was the problem at Forest?

Case in point. Week ago someone had a spare ticket for Forest after one person from a group had to pull out. No one on here went mental because they missed out on a ticket.
I got my QPR ticket by being online when they went on sale. Are we talking about someone or a group of people who have a ST plus 1200 loyalty points but only buy tickets to sell on. That is some investment.

EDIT QPR tickets still available.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
Pretty sure when they tried this for the Palace play-off game they didn't even have names on tickets. In fact, I don't remember seeing names on away tickets at all. Presumably somebody will be brining a big list of all the tickets sold and to whom they were sold, so they can tick you off if they check your ID?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
This is exactly my problem. Girlfriend doesn't have a ST as can't make weekend games, so uses my son's when he can't make it (ie Tuesday games).
So that's not a problem, but for when he can't come to an away game, normally a northern one, she drives and uses his ticket. So now if she can't use it, I'll be paying a fortune for the train and going on my own, or not going at all.

Exactly mate, absolute farce
And the same with season tickets not being able to be kept in family
Arsenal & Man Utd fans have be keeping season tickets in their family names for generations

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Massive own goal from the club on both fronts, loyalty points and season tickets not being allowed to be kept in the family if a child moves to uni and stops going then another child in the family can't start using that ticket, ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS
So you admit it? BAN HIM PAUL

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here