Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

6 wins...?

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
The problem with your theory is that this year the record for most points without finishing in the top 2 could be broken - if Huddersfield keep up anything like their current form. It's easy to have a scenario where Huddersfield get 94 points and miss out on the automatic places.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm not sure anyone is suggesting that if we win 6 matches, Hughton sends the players out on the piss even if both Newcastle and Huddersfield are still breathing down our necks.

It is fun/interesting to speculate where the line will be that separates those who have to endure the play-offs and those who get to start their Summer holidays early, particularly given last season.

What I find almost unbelievable is that we're still in February, yet we're able to talk in terms of a relatively small number of victories that may be required to get us into the Premier League, and that we're already got a points tally that can get a team into the play-offs (although probably not this season).

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
34 points guarantees promotion as of today.

Quite. The current GUARANTEED promotion target is 105 points (though given the GD differentials, 104 OUGHT to be enough, too).

No point worrying about how many MIGHT be enough - not after last year's heartache.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It is very likely now that three teams will get 90+ points. But only one will get 100+ points and that will be us. Nailed on.

This could easily happen.

Attachments

• Fixtures Prediction Top 3 270217.png
    Fixtures Prediction Top 3 270217.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 863
Last edited:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I'm not sure anyone is suggesting that if we win 6 matches, Hughton sends the players out on the piss even if both Newcastle and Huddersfield are still breathing down our necks.

It is fun/interesting to speculate where the line will be that separates those who have to endure the play-offs and those who get to start their Summer holidays early, particularly given last season.

What I find almost unbelievable is that we're still in February, yet we're able to talk in terms of a relatively small number of victories that may be required to get us into the Premier League, and that we're already got a points tally that can get a team into the play-offs (although probably not this season).
Exactly....

I think 91/92 may just do it.... all 3 top three teams will drop points.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
All promotion form teams will average at least 2 points a game. This would put Newcastle on 96 and Huddersfield on 91 and us on 97. Huddersfield though have pretty much been averaging 3 points a game so if they win all 13 games their total will be 104, so we have to hope that they drop 8 points along the way which could mean drawing 4 games or losing a couple and drawing one.

I don't think 90 points will be good enough for promotion, and it will be more like 95+.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It is very likely now that three teams will get 90+ points. But only one will get 100+ points and that will be us. Nailed on.

This could easily happen.

sorry fella, that is pants....

You have neither us, Huddersfield or Newcastle losing a game.

That is not gonna happen I predict we will lose at Leeds, Norwich, Wolves and possibly Villa maybe QPR

Oh heck stop this there are no givens in this league...

I'm going back to bed

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
sorry fella, that is pants....

You have neither us, Huddersfield or Newcastle losing a game.

That is not gonna happen I predict we will lose at Leeds, Norwich, Wolves and possibly Villa maybe QPR

Oh heck stop this there are no givens in this league...

I'm going back to bed

It's based on a non biased equation as follows:

If at home to top ten - draw
If at home to anyone else - win

If away to top twelve - draw
If away to anyone else - win

The total points may be a little overstated, but I'm expecting the gaps to be about right.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The total points may be a little overstated, but I'm expecting the gaps to be about right.

I understand your formula, and it has logic. However, imo, there'll be nothing like a 10 point gap between us and the team in second come the end of the season.

Fancy a small bet? To keep it easy, I'll wager that the gap between 1st and 2nd will be 8 points or fewer at the end of the season, irrespective of which two teams take those spots. £10 to AITC or REMF?

RustyKent

Jun 2, 2014
Herne Bay
It's based on a non biased equation as follows:

If at home to top ten - draw
If at home to anyone else - win

If away to top twelve - draw
If away to anyone else - win

How does that work when Huddersfield play NUFC on Saturday?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
One game at a time.................................although I can genuinely see us steamrollering our way through the rest of the season if we win tomorrow. Confidence will be through the roof, opponents will be half-beaten before the game starts and we play much, much better (like Saturday) when that's the case.

I know, blind optimism. Shoot me now. :shootself:shootself

Have you read the official match threads, Dazza? Some posters on here can't cope with one HALF at a time without going through the whole spectrum of emotions and back again, let alone a whole MATCH :eek:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I understand your formula, and it has logic. However, imo, there'll be nothing like a 10 point gap between us and the team in second come the end of the season.

Fancy a small bet? To keep it easy, I'll wager that the gap between 1st and 2nd will be 8 points or fewer at the end of the season, irrespective of which two teams take those spots. £10 to AITC or REMF?
:LOL: Incredible that we are now discussing a 10 point gap to SECOND place....!!!

And it is actually possible...

We win tomorrow night.
Then HUD/NEW draw and we beat Forest on Saturday.

With 11 games left to play each, we would be already 6pts ahead of Newcastle and est. "9pts" ahead of Huddersfield.

Given our form and run in there is no reason why those gaps couldn't be extended further by the end of the season. :)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Six points from third and you have a deal :smile:

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill
All promotion form teams will average at least 2 points a game. This would put Newcastle on 96 and Huddersfield on 91 and us on 97. Huddersfield though have pretty much been averaging 3 points a game so if they win all 13 games their total will be 104, so we have to hope that they drop 8 points along the way which could mean drawing 4 games or losing a couple and drawing one.

I don't think 90 points will be good enough for promotion, and it will be more like 95+.

I will post here what I put on the "teams that can't catch us" thread and got told off for putting it on the wrong thread :D

I went through game by game and did my predictions yesterday. I tried to ignore my usual pessimism and be realistic. I got to Newcastle 95, Huddersfield 94, us 92. That had us drawing with Newcastle, so if we win tomorrow, same predictions would have us all on 94 and us going up on goal difference. Not sure my ticker could cope! I think my Brighton projections were pretty realistic - I am hoping that my Huddersfield / Newcastle one gave them too much credit, but on another thread I saw a projection where Huddersfield finished on 92, whilst drawing 4 in a row starting against Reading. . . well they won that one so that would support 94.

I know, One game at a time. . . we were great for last two games, keep playing like that I am sure we will be fine.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Looking like wolves and QPR will have nothing to play for when we meet them. They are also 2 of the worst home teams in the league.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I will post here what I put on the "teams that can't catch us" thread and got told off for putting it on the wrong thread :D

I went through game by game and did my predictions yesterday. I tried to ignore my usual pessimism and be realistic. I got to Newcastle 95, Huddersfield 94, us 92. That had us drawing with Newcastle, so if we win tomorrow, same predictions would have us all on 94 and us going up on goal difference. Not sure my ticker could cope! I think my Brighton projections were pretty realistic - I am hoping that my Huddersfield / Newcastle one gave them too much credit, but on another thread I saw a projection where Huddersfield finished on 92, whilst drawing 4 in a row starting against Reading. . . well they won that one so that would support 94.

I know, One game at a time. . . we were great for last two games, keep playing like that I am sure we will be fine.

giphy.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here