Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread - 2017

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I really like the album, I did a mini-review a few days ago and I read somewhere that the album is in two parts with the second part due for release later in the year. 'Cold Fear' and 'Cross-Town Fade' are quite awesome.

Ah, missed it, apologies. Are you familiar with Wooden Shjips, Ripley's other band? I reckon its got to the point where I prefer Moon Duo now.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've been listening all morning to the eponymous album by The Colorist and Emiliana Torrini. It's a live album recorded with The Colorist (A Belgian collective very much in the same vein as Iceland's Gus Gus) and one of Iceland's greatest exports the ever-charming Ms Torrini. I say it's a live album but you really wouldn't notice except for the cheering at the end of songs. Her voice is just so good and thanks to an excellent production, the music is studio-quality. I reckon this is possibly the best that she's done, definitely better than her last album and at least equal to 'Armani and Me'. The pace is pretty upbeat, Emiliana's voice as wistful as ever.

Apparently, The Colorist Orchestra tend to collaborate with artists to re-work their songs and so this collection of some of Torrini's previous hits sees them become dance-y. It's a shame that a few of the more upbeat tracks aren't available for stream but this is still pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8R2-s5pMI0

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
If anyone has a chance to listen to Retro Youth album B.R.A.V.E. let me know what you think. It's on Spotify and Apple Music/ITunes. It's also my son's band!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I've been enjoying Sacred Paws - Strike a Match a twee jangly indie pop record that wouldn't sound out of place at a C86 evening.

https://youtu.be/yj2teM5XUEE

Featuring Rachel from Trash Kit, Shopping and Golden Grrrls. A real UK underground scene stalwart, last seen 'sound carrying' for Damo Suzuki at his most recent Brighton show.

Cracking track btw. If you like this and haven't heard her other stuff, you'll recognise that distinctive guitar sound.

Playing The Hope next Saturday.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Cheers for that, I'll have a listen. Incidentally, is the 'Shjips' spelling thing designed to make them easily searchable on Google? I know (or at least I think I read somewhere) that Chvrches and Wavves have done that.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Has anyone heard of local lad Rag N Bone Man? Apparently he's an Uckfield bloke who was on the hip-hop scene for some time but has moved on to full on soul singing very much in the same vein as Michael Kiwanuka and Algiers. I've been listening to the album this morning and he has got one hell of a great voice. The album starts really well too with the title track from his album 'Human'. I can see this album going down very, very well with the Radio 6, Jools Holland type listener and maybe a Mercury Prize nomination. My one complaint is that the album is a bit one-paced and with the deluxe edition there's 19 songs that wear you out by the end. There's no denying his talent though and have a listen to this tune. I wonder if [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION] has heard of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wKzyIN1yk

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION] and I have spoken previously about Songhoy Blues who play what the music critics call Desert Blues, well here's another band, Tinariwen, very much of that sound with their new LP 'Elwan'. They are North Mali Bedouins who, unlike other better known Mali musicians, are all about the blues guitar. They are seriously good and have more in common with the US Deep South than say Ali Farka Toure. The album is hypnotic, they've not got the best voice (but which blues guitarist ever did?) but it certainly works for their music. If you like the blues then you'll love this. Guaranteed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I3PLVuKNtw

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Cheers. I'd love to see them live and will try to keep an eye out for them. Just hope they don't get caught up in stupid travel bans like Omar Souleyman has recently.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Cheers. I'd love to see them live and will try to keep an eye out for them. Just hope they don't get caught up in stupid travel bans like Omar Souleyman has recently.

They played The Concorde with Songhoy Blues around 18 months ago. If they are doing a new record I'd be very surprised if Brighton wasn't part of the tour.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Another vote for Imarhan, who vied with Michael Kiwanuka for my AotY in 2016. On the back of Imarhan, I bought Tinariwen's Tassili +... , and the latter is not a patch on the former in my view.
Thanks for the tips about their live performances.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Has anyone heard of local lad Rag N Bone Man? Apparently he's an Uckfield bloke who was on the hip-hop scene for some time but has moved on to full on soul singing very much in the same vein as Michael Kiwanuka and Algiers. I've been listening to the album this morning and he has got one hell of a great voice. The album starts really well too with the title track from his album 'Human'. I can see this album going down very, very well with the Radio 6, Jools Holland type listener and maybe a Mercury Prize nomination. My one complaint is that the album is a bit one-paced and with the deluxe edition there's 19 songs that wear you out by the end. There's no denying his talent though and have a listen to this tune. I wonder if [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION] has heard of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wKzyIN1yk

The BBC have been pushing him strongly. One of their 'Ones to watch in 2017'. There was a feature about him in on South East Today late last year, I think.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have bought the new The XX album, vinyl with a foil embossed sleeve. Lovely piece of physical product and a really lovely album. Initial thoughts are this seems a very natural progression albeit with a detour via In Colour.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The BBC have been pushing him strongly. One of their 'Ones to watch in 2017'. There was a feature about him in on South East Today late last year, I think.

He was number 1 in the German singles chart for about 2 months last year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here