Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Leggy 16 miles this morning, my thighs gave up the ghost 4 miles in but got going again. Never really happened to me before, maybe an extra rest day needed this week.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Delighted with this morning's 11 miles. Supposed to be 75 mins easy, 20 steady, 10 easy. Managed to push my easy pace 30 seconds a mile faster while still passing the breath test and crack out a couple of sub 9s right at the end. Still nowhere near where I was this time last year but I reckon i can run Brighton Half in under 2 hours now. Very pleased with how consistent my pacing was https://www.strava.com/activities/840146557/overview

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
15m and change in 2.10. 5 easy into 10 at supposed marathon pace (8-8.30). Struggled a bit but longest run since July. Foot still niggling but ok when warmed up. Will hurt like a bitch tomorrow though.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
another pleasing weekend run here, yesterday morning in a sunny but freezing Cheltenham,

did 9.2 miles at 7.56 minute miles. Pleasing because I felt really good, took no time to recover and felt like I could have pushed it more. still a while until the March 12th half date.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Looks like theres been some great runs this weekend..seems the sunny brisk weather's revitazalised a few! Keep it up chaps and chapesses..
Set a new longest distance (16 miles - 3 hours 20 ish) but plodding along in the cold, with some congestion (not quite a cold but not great breathing) - probably should have stayed at home in the warm!

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I ran my longest ever run yesterday, 19 miles in a time of 2-59-09. Legs were good until about 15 miles, then within the next mile they turned to jelly then concrete. Was very difficult final 4 miles. Not sure how I will cope with another 7 miles on top of that!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Frustration virus for me in the last week stopped me getting out. Can't decide to go out today when not 100% or give it a couple more days. Annoying.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Looks like up on the Downs was the place to be this weekend. Having dumped the car by Hove Park on Friday night before heading off to the Amex, I made Saturday long run day to go and retrieve it. Took the now familiar Adur riverbank–SDW–Devil's Dyke route, dropping down through the woods off Dyke Road – a place I never knew existed – to come out at the corner of Hove Park. Lovely through there and beats Woodland Drive. Then it was tail running duties for parkrun, where I saw [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and and was verbally abused by [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] on the way around. Four of us were doing it, but two of us split because the final two were walking and it was taking a LONG time (fair play to everyone who parkruns, but to not run AT ALL? Not so sure) so we caught up and encouraged the next to last backmarkers. A great way to see parkrun and a nice opportunity to encourage others (although [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] said it was the last thing he would have needed!).

Left the Sunday run until late to keep the Runuary streak going – dropped off tickets for Tuesday night (can't make it – gutted) and picked up chocolate from Tesco Express.

Back out this morning in the freezing cold for 20 mins/2.6 miles. Mostly tarmac though – it sucks. Give me trails any day of the week – even if they are frozen!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I ran my longest ever run yesterday, 19 miles in a time of 2-59-09. Legs were good until about 15 miles, then within the next mile they turned to jelly then concrete. Was very difficult final 4 miles. Not sure how I will cope with another 7 miles on top of that!

If you've done the training, you'll be fine and you'll get through it. The crowd will also help you around. Good running – congrats on a distance PB.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just 5 miles for me yesterday evening to get me to c20 miles for the week again. My left knee was feeling increasingly heavy throughout so today is going to be a slow 'rest day' mile on the grass which I hope has thawed out later.

On Saturday morning I ran down to the station to retrieve the car from where I'd left it on Friday night. It was only going to be at plodding speed but inspired by the previous night's heroics and some good tunes (incl. Ashes by Embrace) on my phone, I ended up going faster than planned. I was both pleased and surprised that I managed to negative split the 2.4 miles with 8:12, 7:40 and 7:21. Slow compared to the speed demons on here, but reasonable for me, certainly given lack of fitness and still dodgy legs.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon

You are using energy gels etc as you are running and keeping hydrated etc
I wouldn't worry about doing a full 26 mile long run as the most you really need to do is a 22 miler as the crowd and adrenaline will carry you through those last few miles

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
You are using energy gels etc as you are running and keeping hydrated etc
I wouldn't worry about doing a full 26 mile long run as the most you really need to do is a 22 miler as the crowd and adrenaline will carry you through those last few miles

I had 4 energy gels as I was going around. I did take a small bottle of water with me as well, but if i had more water I would have drunk more. Next time I might take more gels and more water.

Thanks for the help.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Looks like up on the Downs was the place to be this weekend. Having dumped the car by Hove Park on Friday night before heading off to the Amex, I made Saturday long run day to go and retrieve it. Took the now familiar Adur riverbank–SDW–Devil's Dyke route, dropping down through the woods off Dyke Road – a place I never knew existed – to come out at the corner of Hove Park. Lovely through there and beats Woodland Drive. Then it was tail running duties for parkrun, where I saw [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and and was verbally abused by [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] on the way around. Four of us were doing it, but two of us split because the final two were walking and it was taking a LONG time (fair play to everyone who parkruns, but to not run AT ALL? Not so sure) so we caught up and encouraged the next to last backmarkers. A great way to see parkrun and a nice opportunity to encourage others (although [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] said it was the last thing he would have needed!).

Left the Sunday run until late to keep the Runuary streak going – dropped off tickets for Tuesday night (can't make it – gutted) and picked up chocolate from Tesco Express.

Back out this morning in the freezing cold for 20 mins/2.6 miles. Mostly tarmac though – it sucks. Give me trails any day of the week – even if they are frozen!

That's the Copse or dog poo alley.
I'll give a partial apology but not too much of one. Remember I'm not called Knocky because I play football like Knockeart!
I DO respect your tail running but was super edgy as my Achilles felt as if it had snapped suddenly at 2.5 miles (it hasn't obviously). Had to limp the last half mile to the line and was glad I was alone.
Unable to walk on it since. Jesus on Thursday. Problem is the toe off position and that's where I had the worst of the rheumatoid arthritis. I came back too quickly and muscle warnings were masked by the steroid.
Still feel much better physically and can get on with other things like swimming and painting the house unfortunately.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Well, that is irritating - got just over a mile into a planned gentle 8 mile run and had to bail out as my calf seized up without warning. Bumped into a mate as I was jogging back home, who is building his miles up for London, so we've planned to meet up for a beer.

I've attacked the offending muscle with the foam roller and now it's going to get a hot bath!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just 5 miles for me yesterday evening to get me to c20 miles for the week again. My left knee was feeling increasingly heavy throughout so today is going to be a slow 'rest day' mile on the grass which I hope has thawed out later.

Bizarrely, I had a bit of pain in my knee before I set off on Saturday morning, but it quickly sorted itself out after a mile or so. I SWEAR running on softer ground (or anything other than concrete makes a huge difference).

On Saturday morning I ran down to the station to retrieve the car from where I'd left it on Friday night. It was only going to be at plodding speed but inspired by the previous night's heroics and some good tunes (incl. Ashes by Embrace) on my phone, I ended up going faster than planned. I was both pleased and surprised that I managed to negative split the 2.4 miles with 8:12, 7:40 and 7:21. Slow compared to the speed demons on here, but reasonable for me, certainly given lack of fitness and still dodgy legs.

I'm certainly not a speed demon – I'd be more than happy with those split times. Nice work [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION].

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
That's the Copse or dog poo alley.
I'll give a partial apology but not too much of one. Remember I'm not called Knocky because I play football like Knockeart!
I DO respect your tail running but was super edgy as my Achilles felt as if it had snapped suddenly at 2.5 miles (it hasn't obviously). Had to limp the last half mile to the line and was glad I was alone.
Unable to walk on it since. Jesus on Thursday. Problem is the toe off position and that's where I had the worst of the rheumatoid arthritis. I came back too quickly and muscle warnings were masked by the steroid.
Still feel much better physically and can get on with other things like swimming and painting the house unfortunately.

Bad news indeed. In Jesus you must trust. Best of luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here