Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Labour should have made this bloke Party Leader,but maybe he makes too much sense!

tri.jpg

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
None of your business, and the question is of no interest to me anyway. I never made any comment about Johnson, so why you should think it appropriate to ask me for my opinion of him is beyond comprehension.

I don't want to intrude on a private row but surely in a debate about Brexit a question about the highest-profile Brexiteer is, you know, admissible? Or at least understandable?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So they spelt the wordz rong, I got the message though.

So do you think Johnson is fit for purpose?

He regarded in most countries as a bit of a joke. The bloke is a total liability, love or hate Europe we need to build bridges to get the best deal.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Labour should have made this bloke Party Leader,but maybe he makes too much sense!

View attachment 81252

It's an interesting quote and the lantern-jawed one is a capable chap. He lists three EU-related reasons why people voted Leave in Stoke but then implies that the underlying cause is that 'the city's residents and others like them who feel they have been left behind by the decline and disappearance of manufacturing industries and don't have the skills to make the most of a rapidly-changing world'. I don't know Stoke but I am fairly familiar with some parts of the Brexit-voting universe and I'd say he's right. If you agree with him too then I'm pleased.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't want to intrude on a private row but surely in a debate about Brexit a question about the highest-profile Brexiteer is, you know, admissible? Or at least understandable?
You can't intrude on a private row that you've started - I never mentioned BJ until you waded in. Carry on with your Boris Johnson question fixation, Better luck elsewhere.

Edit: I see someone else has answered your question about BJ. Excellent!

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
As an example after the speech yesterday a man was interviewed about what he was now looking foward to. Included in his response was being able to ring his doctor and get an appointment within a week.

Wow "a man was interviewed", i wonder what the response would have been if two men were interviewed, i suppose then it would have been a forgone conclusion that all of the Brexit voters felt the same.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
You can't intrude on a private row that you've started - I never mentioned BJ until you waded in. Carry on with your Boris Johnson question fixation, Better luck elsewhere.

Edit: I see someone else has answered your question about BJ. Excellent!

What are you talking about? I haven't asked a question about Boris Johnson. Are you confused about something? Better luck to you too. Up the Albion.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Have you not noticed the mess we are in at the moment, massive cuts to social care and welfare, education underfunded, poverty and homelessness on the increase, household debt back to 2008 levels. Real wage growth minimal, the rise of Food Banks, creaking underfunded rail and road infrastructure.....?
And now guess what? In order to make Britain Great Again we will be asked to work harder still and get more " competitive " to take it on the chin and show how great the British worker is at rolling up our sleeves and working hard to get on....for the usual empty promises.... Lord help us.

Sorry - I think you'll find his already hired by the 27! Have you got a backup? Mo perhaps?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Have you not noticed the mess we are in at the moment, massive cuts to social care and welfare, education underfunded, poverty and homelessness on the increase, household debt back to 2008 levels. Real wage growth minimal, the rise of Food Banks, creaking underfunded rail and road infrastructure.....?
And now guess what? In order to make Britain Great Again we will be asked to work harder still and get more " competitive " to take it on the chin and show how great the British worker is at rolling up our sleeves and working hard to get on....for the usual empty promises.... Lord help us.

Add to that public sector debt which is still going through the roof with a £60B EU divorce bill coming up, jobs growth starting to slow, inflation up, big tax take jobs in the city going

A great time to jump out of a plane without a parachute.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Main soundbite I heard from Scotland was wee Krankie banging on about wanting another referendum. Whether she'll get one - and whether she'd 'win' it anyway - is another matter altogether!

The leader of The Scottish Anyone but England Party is beginning to look rattled. Her hand is no longer stuffed with ace's. Beads of sweat could soon start to glisten her brow whilst attempting double and tripple bluffs.

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
Cutting through all the crapy day dreaming remainer tosh on here ,as i predicted no single market no free movement ,:)will they ever listen
regards
DR

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been avoiding this thread for a while.

I can understand you being confused if you thought my dislike of first-past-the-post was based on the fact that it fails to deliver the outcome I want.

That is not the case. I find it appalling that the number of constituencies won by UKIP in 2015 bears no relation to the number of votes its candidates received. UKIP should have many more MPs in the present House of Commons.. The same injustice has befallen the LibDems for years and years of course.

First-past-the-post is a gerrymandered fix engineered by the two big parties than benefit from it. It increases the gulf between Parliament and the people and it is reasonable to argue that this gulf was one of the reasons for the visceral anger with the system that led to the 23 June result.

The normal argument in favour of FPTP is that it leads to clear and certain outcomes. It doesn't. Both the Labour and Conservative parties are riven by fundamental internal disagreements - first past the post tends to remove the conflicts and fights from public view, that's all. And that's another argument against it.

The fact that the referendum figures would have been different if a constituency-based FPTP system was employed simply underlines the injustice of it. The only people who support it are those who think a result they agree with is more important than natural democracy. That's fine, until they start lecturing others on the subject.

Thanks for clearing that up,no problem about the delay,happy with the explanation. :thumbsup:

Jan 30, 2008
Why don't you actually challenge the details of my post instead of dismissing it because of my location? My location doesn't invalidate my point at all. But, if you really do believe it does then I'm all ears. Go on, stick it to me....please.
You're no different to our other euro numpty D.I.P flapping his gums in the Czech republic , give it a rest or come back to blighty and join the revolution
regards
DR

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
please note I might not answer every question that you demand an answer to.

:lolol: is this the new disclaimer-top post there anyway.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Add to that public sector debt which is still going through the roof with a £60B EU divorce bill coming up, jobs growth starting to slow, inflation up, big tax take jobs in the city going

Perhaps we could crowd-fund you a ticket,and you could put on a show on Brexodus Day.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The Scots were much more likely to leave the UK when it was part of the EU. Brexit has made that possibility diminish massively.

Forgive me, but I just back tracked to find the most intelligible comment made by someone who voted differently to I did, as I know you did. 'Leave'/'Remain' we both love the Albion and this thread is silly now.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
if the commons rejects any agreed deal yes we will simply be OUT OUT.
There will no doubt be a list of how MP`s voted.....you can direct your anger at the ones that said NO.

What if the commons agree it, and one of the EU 27 doesn't?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

larus

Perhaps we could crowd-fund you a ticket,and you could put on a show on Brexodus Day.

Genuinely made me laugh. I think that's called 'owning' :).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here