Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclist vs train

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
There's an odd level crossing near me.
Either side of the barriers the main road runs parallel to the track, say from 7 to 2 o'clock.
But there's another road that the crossing going from 11 to 4.

After the barriers are raised obviously the 7 to 2'ers are fine.
The 2 to 7's are also fine unless some nimrod wants to go 2 to 11, and not cross the track.

Yesterday morning the dozy bint in front of me crosses most of the track then stops, to allow one of those nimrods through.
I'm behind her, straddling both tracks.
This break in the natural order of the junction now gives all the 11's a chance to nip over jumping in front of the 2's cutting across dozy bint.

Leaving me screaming "why the f*** have you stopped on the train track".

(I can draw a diagram, if it helps :lol: )
I used to use it at about 9 o'clock and 5 o'clock. Never had any trouble then.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I used to use it at about 9 o'clock and 5 o'clock. Never had any trouble then.
Currently I'm back and forth about 4 or 5 times a day, and like you never have any problems, unless the person in front of me decides to stop on the track. :shootself:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If a train passed a red signal the barriers would come down. It's the fail safe procedure.
There could still be a way - unlikely, but not impossible; even fail safe, excellent as it is, will not be entirely fool-proof. Would probably require a deliberate act with malice aforethought, but sadly, as we know only too well these days, there are such people out there.

SpidersLegs

Feb 2, 2007
Here & there
I came across a level crossing once with the lights flashing but the barriers up. I don't think they always fail safe down if there's a problem unrelated to track.
If the barriers fail in such a way that the system thinks there's a train coming they will always fail in the down position. You can get situations where the red lights come on for some reason but the system doesn't think there's a train approaching so won't put the barriers down.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Either side of the barriers the main road runs parallel to the track, say from 7 to 2 o'clock.

The 2 to 7's are also fine unless some nimrod wants to go 2 to 11, and not cross the track.

Yesterday morning the dozy bint in front of me crosses most of the track then stops, to allow one of those nimrods through.
This break in the natural order of the junction now gives all the 11's a chance to nip over jumping in front of the 2's cutting across dozy bint.

Diagram? _ I need a fecking mathematician!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If the barriers fail in such a way that the system thinks there's a train coming they will always fail in the down position. You can get situations where the red lights come on for some reason but the system doesn't think there's a train approaching so won't put the barriers down.

At least that's reassuring. Still fecking frightening crossing the tracks having waited 5 minutes with lights flashing and barriers up!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Here is a diagram of nimrod for you :ohmy:

nimrod.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here