Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Reading like us under poyet?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Poyet got us out of that league but my god it was so boring to watch. Even with quality players that came later (Bridge, Upson, VICENTE) it was fall asleep football. Still can't help but dislike him after the Reading job shenanigans, the toys out the pram and ceiling comments pre and post the Palace games and then nicking bridcutt and Will.

I could accept an argument that the football whilst Gus tried to consolidate a Championship place was 'boring' in some eyes. To say it was so, in the promotion year is utterly, utterly ridiculous. The year we won the league by 16 points before going on holiday in April? The year of the legendary away wins at Charlton and Peterborough. ('We're ****ing brilliant').i It could actually be THE most ridiculous football comment ever posted on NSC.

Congratulations.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Poyet got us out of that league but my god it was so boring to watch. Even with quality players that came later (Bridge, Upson, VICENTE) it was fall asleep football. Still can't help but dislike him after the Reading job shenanigans, the toys out the pram and ceiling comments pre and post the Palace games and then nicking bridcutt and Will.

what? I mean, uh, really, what the.. ? Our league 2 championship season was boring to watch? You insane insane person

Lush

Mods' Pet
This made me chuckle earlier...

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 17.21.48.png

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
I could accept an argument that the football whilst Gus tried to consolidate a Championship place was 'boring' in some eyes. To say it was so, in the promotion year is utterly, utterly ridiculous. The year we won the league by 16 points before going on holiday in April? The year of the legendary away wins at Charlton and Peterborough. ('We're ****ing brilliant').i It could actually be THE most ridiculous football comment ever posted on NSC.

Congratulations.

what? I mean, uh, really, what the.. ? Our league 2 championship season was boring to watch? You insane insane person

I should have made it clear that it was the sideways, sideways, backwards, sideways dross that followed in the 18 months or so that followed promotion, not the actual promotion campaign but thank you for your kind words.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
I should have made it clear that it was the sideways, sideways, backwards, sideways dross that followed in the 18 months or so that followed promotion, not the actual promotion campaign but thank you for your kind words.

Oh, you're going to be fun next season aren't you? Those 18 months you talk of, which resulted first in our highest league position for 20 years, and then our highest league position in 30 years, which were certainly not boring relative to nearly every other one of those 30 seasons, which was the development of a system that led to us ripping Palace a new one at the Amex and is still the basis of our system today that has heading for our 5th or 6th highest league position ever.... you call this dross???????

In twelve months time, when we're fighting out hard-fought results against Watford and Middlesborough, relying on solid defensive play and occasionally getting comfortably beaten by Spurs and Liverpool - you're going to be insufferable aren't you?

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Oh, you're going to be fun next season aren't you? Those 18 months you talk of, which resulted first in our highest league position for 20 years, and then our highest league position in 30 years, which were certainly not boring relative to nearly every other one of those 30 seasons, which was the development of a system that led to us ripping Palace a new one at the Amex and is still the basis of our system today that has heading for our 5th or 6th highest league position ever.... you call this dross???????

In twelve months time, when we're fighting out hard-fought results against Watford and Middlesborough, relying on solid defensive play and occasionally getting comfortably beaten by Spurs and Liverpool - you're going to be insufferable aren't you?

I found Poyet's style of football boring, not once have I mentioned this season or next season. You carry on talking bollocks though :thumbsup:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
I found Poyet's style of football boring, not once have I mentioned this season or next season. You carry on talking bollocks though :thumbsup:

I've no problem with you finding it boring, that's your prerogative. I do take exception to you calling it dross. It does also have a relationship to this season as our current style is based upon the foundations that Poyet put in place. We had to go through that development stage to get to the point where we regularly play exciting, winning football based on possession built from the back. and yes, I worry that many are going to start moaning at our inevitable defensive style next year in the premier league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here