Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2016

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Saturday night in the Crab shack in Worthing. This place seems less busy now that the summer is a long way behind us. The seafood is excellent and actually this is a cosy joint for a winter evening. The cockle pop corn is always good, but the Fowey mussels have just come into season and the ones we were served were plump and juicy.

Called into the Anchored pub before hand for a swift pint. What a great little place this is, with the emphasis on little. It has to be one of the friendliest bars around. Having said that when you can't move with only 18 people in the place, what else could it be? Top tip don't arrange to meet anyone here.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
My personal favourite is tarte tatine, which is a caramised apple puff pastry dish from Normandy, which is cooked upside down (pastry on top) but served apple side up, delicious with ice cream. Mrs Rolls has been to Baliffs Court for a pampering session, the infinity pool is impressive apparently, although maybe less so in November.

The infinity pool is a little chilly - hence why I used the outdoor jacuzzi instead. Love the place - if it were a little closer it would send me bankrupt ( and make me very fat ) !

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
AND THE FABULOUS FOODIE WINNERS ARE... THE 2016 RESULTS IN FULL

Best food/drink producer Sponsored by Wobblegate apple juice and cider
Gold: Brighton Bier
Joint Silver: Boho Gelato
Joint Silver: Brighton Gin

Best family dining Sponsored by Whizz Bang Pop
Gold: Food for Friends
Silver: Terre à Terre
Bronze: Curry Leaf Café

Best burger Sponsored by Griffith Smith Farrington Webb LLP solicitors
Gold: Burger Brothers
Silver: Coggings & Co
Bronze: The Troll’s Pantry

Best café Sponsored by Brighton & Hove Radio Cabs 204060
Gold: Egg & Spoon
Silver: V&H Café
Bronze: Joe’s Café

Best food pub Sponsored by Cardens accountants
Gold: The Ginger Dog
Silver: The Ginger Pig
Bronze: The Earth & Stars

Best Sunday lunch Sponsored by Yelo architects
Gold: The Earth & Stars
Silver: Breeze Brasserie
Bronze: The Basketmakers Arms

Best pub Sponsored by The Beer Collective
Gold: The Basketmakers Arms
Silver: The Lion & Lobster
Bronze: Brewdog

Best newcomer Sponsored by Hensby Law
Gold: Egg & Spoon
Silver: Purezza
Bronze: Fourth & Church

Best international cuisine Sponsored by Baobab developments
Gold: The Chilli Pickle
Silver: Planet India
Bronze: Curry Leaf Café

Best cocktail bar Sponsored by Blackdown Artisan Spirits
Gold: The Cocktail Shack
Silver: The Plotting Parlour
Bronze: Twisted Lemon

Best restaurant Sponsored by Ridgeview Wine Estate
Gold: The Set
Silver: Terre à Terre
Bronze: Food for Friends

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
We've already had No Man's Land round these parts. Will the Barbary also join us on the south coast?

I meant to go to No Man's Land when it was on Broadway, but didn't pull my finger out. TBH, I'm not sure I can be doing with Pinter any more - I want some plot when I see theatre, even if it's just a tiny bit. The Barabry on the South Coast? Dunno - I did talk to (one of) the Head Chef yesterday about future plans, and his next one is probably going to be Islington or Clerkenwell (surprise, surprise).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I'm checking out the GB1 Sunday lunch this weekend, hoping this will be up there amongst the best around.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2003
[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] - have you broken your Burger Brothers cherry yet? If not, you really must get this sorted on your trip over next week.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] - have you broken your Burger Brothers cherry yet? If not, you really must get this sorted on your trip over next week.

Think I might pop in for a crafty one for lunch tomorrow. I always order a classic. It always does the job. They never last long -- quickly despatched.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Three more games lined up before the end of the year; hand on heart promise! Look forward to the post Fulham catch-up.

Jul 7, 2003
I thought the choice on their menu was very limited. I like La Campana in Haywards Heath for tapas but if anybody goes beware the portions are large in comparison to usual tapas in Spain.

I went to La Campana tonight with a friend tonight, Really enjoyed the food but forgot your warning about the portion sizes and over ordered. Good value for the money though.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Sunday lunch at the Hotel Du Vin, was something of a mixed bag.

First off quick pre dinner drink in the Bar Du Vin. beer selection was almost exclusively from a trendy Scottich brewery. Prefering not to start the day with a 7% IPA, I went for a G&T.

Sunday lunch starts with either Tomato Soup, or a selection from the excellent French Market Table. Only an anorexic would choose the soup surely ! On reflection I should have just revisited this a couple more times and skipped the rest.
Main course I dodged the Roasts, Steak and Chips and my least favourite fish Plaice and went for the Fish Pie, which was average.
Desert scored highly for promise featuring my favourite Tarte Tatin, but flattered to deceive.

The bill was softened by a generous gift voucher from friends and a bottle of red, which I seem to recall was more expensive on the menu than the bill and was none the less enjoyable for it.

This really is a pleasant place to eat and drink and if it sounds like I am damning it with feint praise, well that is probably about right.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not a proper review, but I've recently started getting my lunch when in London from Pilpel.

It's basically falafel with all the trimmings, hummous, salad, onion salad, chick peas, beetroot, with chillis, pickles dressed in chilli sauce and tahini.

I'm not a veggie but at £6.40 including a very decent pitta bread & 1 side (egg, guacamole, feta and a few other bits) it's decent value.

All around the east end, Spitalfields, Leman Street and a few other locations.

Love it and the girls are fit, and always chuck me a HOT falafel while I queue.

8/10 fast food

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Going to the Waterfront Brasserie in the Marina tomorrow with wife . This has got many rave reviews but am a little apprehensive as we are doing it on a group on deal. and not sure if they will bother too much.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Going to the Waterfront Brasserie in the Marina tomorrow with wife . This has got many rave reviews but am a little apprehensive as we are doing it on a group on deal. and not sure if they will bother too much.

I've only used Group On a handful of times, but I've never had a problem. The deal gets you to try them out... it's their job to make sure you want to go back and pay full price.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I broke mine at lunchtime today. Benneton burger with Chorizo. Hands down, easily and by far and away the best burger I've ever had. Can't believe I beat [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] to it, though living in Berlin gives him an excuse :)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I broke mine at lunchtime today. Benneton burger with Chorizo. Hands down, easily and by far and away the best burger I've ever had. Can't believe I beat [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] to it, though living in Berlin gives him an excuse :)

Never had one of those: fancy you. Always go for a Classic. Had one last week. It's oh so good.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Very good and looking at their menu it seems that they do special prices 3.30 to 6.30 plus their general menu looks to be quite good and reasonable so will give it a try as I like fish although wife doesnt they have steak etc on the menu so both w of us will be happy.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here