Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever seen a dead body ?

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
I'm on holiday in the canaries currently and unfortunately day 1 I had to drag an unconscious man out of the sea. As soon as we turned him over to start cpr I could see obvious signs it wasn't going to be a good outcome. To the best efforts of all around after 30 minutes cpr he was declared dead on the beach. His poor wife just wailing uncontrollably as you would expect.

It's been playing on my mind and I'm having trouble sleeeping but the sight I saw was one I will never forget. It also made me realise that at aged 40 I had yet to see a dead body. Is this normal do you think ?

Apologies for the depressing thread but it might help me a little to express what I'm thinking and deal with it ....

Thanks

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Yes, I've seen (in hospital) the bodies of deceased family members including my dad (I was 10) and grandparents. It's probably a different experience to yours as it wasn't a frantic scene or an accident as I was given time to prepare before I saw them.

HitchinSeagull

Aug 9, 2012
Many times for work, quite rightly its extremely disturbing for the first few times, as a culture we don't need to have much or any contact with the dead, whereas in much if the world its a more regular occurrence. Make sure you talk about it with friends

Sent from my VFD 300 using Tapatalk

Yoda

English & European
Once with a jumper off Worthing High Street car park, helped with CPR until Paramedics were ready to take over about 10 years ago, and watched my Dad slowly pass away nearly 6 years ago.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Many times for work, quite rightly its extremely disturbing for the first few times, as a culture we don't need to have much or any contact with the dead, whereas in much if the world its a more regular occurrence. Make sure you talk about it with friends

Sent from my VFD 300 using Tapatalk

What do you do for work, if you don't mind my asking?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I was at the Mortuary fixing the phones in the 80's. Walked through the wrong door and there was a body on the slab. Turned round sharpish mumbling "Oh f..k".
Didn't really bother me, from my brief look it was an old woman but it might have been different if it had been a child.

If it's still bothering you, go see your GP, it could be mild PTSD.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
When I was 15, an old lady came into the cafe in Shoreham and sat at a table near me. She said, I do feel tired, literally just slumped in her seat. She died there and then.

I watched my ex father in law, and my Dad as they died, and visited my late father in law very soon after he'd died, as we didn't make it to the hospital in time.

My first husband's grandmother died soon after we were married, and they had the custom of an open coffin in the living room on the day of the funeral.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Thanks for the replies. Helping me understand things. Hoping once back home and away from the scene I can deal with it better. I'm just glad I managed to shield the worst from my partner and lad who saw bits. Truly was the worst day of my life but compared to what his wife must be going through now it's seems silly.

Rip fella

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I'm on holiday in the canaries currently and unfortunately day 1 I had to drag an unconscious man out of the sea. As soon as we turned him over to start cpr I could see obvious signs it wasn't going to be a good outcome. To the best efforts of all around after 30 minutes cpr he was declared dead on the beach. His poor wife just wailing uncontrollably as you would expect.

It's been playing on my mind and I'm having trouble sleeeping but the sight I saw was one I will never forget. It also made me realise that at aged 40 I had yet to see a dead body. Is this normal do you think ?

Apologies for the depressing thread but it might help me a little to express what I'm thinking and deal with it ....

Thanks

Sorry to hear that but sounds as if you did your very best to help the poor guy out.

I'm 44 and had seen a few dead bodies. All my wife's elderly family members. This summer I had to, and am glad I was with him, see my poor brother slip away aged 34. Plays on my mind a lot, those last days.

Anyway, hope you can enjoy some of your holiday!

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Form 'G5' after a sudden death was quite a regular duty of a junior police office back in the day, saw some sights and had various emotional experiences completing such paperwork.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Anybody thought to ask Harty or my nephew in the same proffession he was called to remove a body after a car accident and on arrival he found it was his best mate.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
A jumper in front of a the fast train between Portsmouth & London at Haslemere.

A friend we found in a garage after sniffing glue and petrol.

A friend who died at the scene of a crash on his scooter when I was following behind.

An old man dead in a phone box propped up with phone in hand. ( I assume he was calling for help)

A class mate got knocked down retrieving a tennis ball we were using as a football and died at Primary school and we were watching through the railings.

A road traffic accident in Michigan just outside Detroit in the freeway a minivan with a truck and two young men in the minivan were killed again one of the first on the scene on a foggy night.

Think thats it

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
My Mum had a fear of being put in a coffin still alive and made me promise to make sure she was dead. Made the visit to the undertakers and she looked very serene after the pain of a terminal cancer.

Other time was an Indian cyclist in Riyadh with his head burst open by a car. The police were directing traffic around the scene and hadn't covered the body. I had to look down at it to make sure I didn't drive over it. Very distressing.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
My uncle died in front of me at the Royal Sussex and I had to check my step father who had collapsed in the hallway and wait for the authorities to come.
My Uncle was like a dad to me he took me to my first Brighton Game and he watched the Albion before and after the war he also took me to the county ground and taught me how to play cricket. I miss him .

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
A jumper in front of a the fast train between Portsmouth & London at Haslemere.

A friend we found in a garage after sniffing glue and petrol.

A friend who died at the scene of a crash on his scooter when I was following behind.

An old man dead in a phone box propped up with phone in hand. ( I assume he was calling for help)

A class mate got knocked down retrieving a tennis ball we were using as a football and died at Primary school and we were watching through the railings.

A road traffic accident in Michigan just outside Detroit in the freeway a minivan with a truck and two young men in the minivan were killed again one of the first on the scene on a foggy night.

Think thats it

:ohmy: remind me to stay well out of your way. :lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here