Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Sunday League all time low?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Played in Div 13 for Brighton Hospitals and The Dockers can't ever remember being promoted with the Dockers but they did win the sportsmanship cup which was incredible as one of the lads mums ran on the pitch and tried to smash one of the other teams players with her Gucci bag :lolol: , if you thought it was rough in div 13 it was like a soft play room compared to the old wednesday footy league , now that could get tasty .

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I did a SLIGHTLY poor challenge on someone yesterday and as he fell he called me a "uselss f***ing fat C**t"

I took exception to the fat bit.

While he's lying on the floor rolling around a few of his teammates came up and said "you're not fat mate"

That was nice.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I did a SLIGHTLY poor challenge on someone yesterday and as he fell he called me a "uselss f***ing fat C**t"

I took exception to the fat bit.

While he's lying on the floor rolling around a few of his teammates came up and said "you're not fat mate"

That was nice.

It didn't look like your were having a great time of it when I glanced over a few times from my pitch. Least you got one of the games playing the undoubted winner of the league out of the way early.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It didn't look like your were having a great time of it when I glanced over a few times from my pitch. Least you got one of the games playing the undoubted winner of the league out of the way early.

I don't actually know what their goalkeeper looked like. He was miles away for the whole game.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Started in the Steyning Sunday league in 1976 and progressed to the Sunday Premier league, winning the league title 2 years on the trot and the Sunday Senior Cup for 5 years as well. We were arguably one of the best Sunday teams going in the 80/90s and saw our record in the first year we won the Premier league was played 18, won 18, for 127 goals let in 12, not bad. Team started out as Durrington Dynamos, Fernhurst Sunday, Fountain Sunday and then AFC George with sponsorship form the George in Goring. A very good side that could have won a few Saturday leagues as well

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
I think it comes down to enjoyment as much as anything. Growing up I was football crazy, played for 3 different teams and the school on top of that. Moved to adult football (Mid Sussex league) and just spent my Saturdays being kicked up in the air by oafs, playing on some pants pitches and paying through the nose for it. I now only play 5-a-side for fitness but if you'd have suggested 10 years ago I wouldn't be playing football i'd have thought you were crazy.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I think it comes down to enjoyment as much as anything. Growing up I was football crazy, played for 3 different teams and the school on top of that. Moved to adult football (Mid Sussex league) and just spent my Saturdays being kicked up in the air by oafs, playing on some pants pitches and paying through the nose for it. I now only play 5-a-side for fitness but if you'd have suggested 10 years ago I wouldn't be playing football i'd have thought you were crazy.

I'm at that point now.

Especially a weekend when I watch a Brighton game and lose all my Saturday, I just can't be arsed with the Sunday and getting back home at 1pm.

I'm 30 in December and I think I have 15 Sunday league games left and that's me done.

5 a side one or two evenings a week will hurt less, cost less and be better exercise+more fun,

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
I used to play a bit back in the seventies and I seem to recall a pitch on a steep hill somewhere between Shoreham and Hove that had an electricity pylon in one of the corners. Does anybody know where I mean or have I just imagined it?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I used to play a bit back in the seventies and I seem to recall a pitch on a steep hill somewhere between Shoreham and Hove that had an electricity pylon in one of the corners. Does anybody know where I mean or have I just imagined it?

Is that not out at Sompting ?

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Actually, if anything, it got worse in the top division than the bottom ones! The higher you go the more of a chip on the shoulder the players seem to have. They take more offence to you beating them.

Oh and continually being flagged offside when through on goal regardless of if you were onside or not. Seen a player flagged, and given, offside after collecting the ball and beating a player!

There were a few notorious linesmen at certain clubs, one in particular used to have his flag up continually. I once remember a break from a corner we were defending, was 10 yards in my own half and looked up to see the lino already had his flag up waitingf.

rool

Jul 10, 2003

I used to play for a team called Churchill Rovers (mainly ex Sainsbury staff from Churchill Square I believe). The home pitch was around Mile Oak somewhere. That had a pylon and seemed to be surrounded by allotments. Can't remember if it sloped or not though.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

That's the recreation ground on the Downsway Southwick. I can hear the refs whistles from my place.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
We have 40 players for our two Sunday teams, which is very much against the grain. The league is dying, it's not helped by poor administration but most people now go for a 30 minute game on a Tuesday night rather than 90 minutes on a Sunday

Not sure there is much you can do to arrest the decline either - the cost is a lot, but people just don't want to play. Its a shame, as for us it is more 90 minutes of football, beers and food after and just a good laugh socially

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
We have 40 players for our two Sunday teams, which is very much against the grain. The league is dying, it's not helped by poor administration but most people now go for a 30 minute game on a Tuesday night rather than 90 minutes on a Sunday

Not sure there is much you can do to arrest the decline either - the cost is a lot, but people just don't want to play. Its a shame, as for us it is more 90 minutes of football, beers and food after and just a good laugh socially

From experience you lose a good few once the novelty of the new season wears off and the weather turns bad! That's a good amount though so fingers crossed they stick around.

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
crap football pitch.jpg

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Sorry to hear of its decline. Gave me great pleasure when I played , won a division , so far back now I can't remember the teams name, but had hideous purple kit with yellow socks. Think that helped us win as the opposition spent so much of their time laughing.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Remember playing in goal for NALGO at the Dripping Pan in a Sunday cup-final - won 1-0.

One of my teammates who was injured worked for Radio Rentals (shows how far we are going back) and borrowed video equipment to record the game. He managed to record 89 minutes of action (well mainly inaction) and managed to miss the 1 goal of the game while changing the battery pack!

The games on a Sunday would end in time to get to the nearest pub for the 12-2pm session:drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here