Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
According to my family I'm officially a sad old git after making them watch my ride on the relive app. :down:

Ah but if your family involves a preteen you get:-

'epic - it's like you're in the Tour de France'

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
Geek Parents:

Decathlon currently have some Triban 3 bikes in stock at 45cm and 48cm frame sizes (650 wheels) - £150.

Just bought a 48cm for my daughter who is advancing toward 5'4" as she was jealous I went out on a 20mile jaunt with her 10 yr old brother yesterday - [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] good to see you in Upper Beeding!

The 48cm comes in under 9.5kg so I am told, so this is an incredible bit kit for this price, anyone under 5'6" may well want to get it a look too.

Very tempted for my 11 year old son - think the small would just about do it. Even if he doesn't take to road cycling, I reckon you'd get close to that back selling it nearly new on eBay...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Very tempted for my 11 year old son - think the small would just about do it. Even if he doesn't take to road cycling, I reckon you'd get close to that back selling it nearly new on eBay...

I checked ebay, and used 48cm bikes have been regularly selling for £175, so at the very least a couple of rides and if he really doesn't like it you won't have lost anything. Was pretty surprised with what my lad managed Sunday, we went to the top of Devils Dyke, then across Edburton Road which has a few up and downs, than Coombes which has some steep ones too. He really enjoyed it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I had a chuckle to myself, this afternoon.

Slogging my way up to Goodwood at 9mph, with my heart rate around 165bpm.
The next second I'm descending down the other side at over 35mph, on 25 mm tyres, with lycra and an almost useless helmet for protection, while my heart rate is dropping like a stone.

It feels like that should be the other way round - or am I just getting old!

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] what was that Hun website you got your front light from? I gotta get me a rechargeable one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The AITC ride today was great fun today, was anyone else riding it? was a brilliant route, the old Brighton Breezy route that Brighton CTC used to run.I thought there would be more riders though, but was the first year that they had run it and other than on here I hadnt seen any publicity for it. We had 12 riders from our club

It would be good to arrange a geeks ride, we would need a central location though, not sure where everyone is based. Happy to offer to help arrange something if there are any takers?

It saw that but hadn't prior the ride. I'd be up for it next year definitely.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Geek Parents:

Decathlon currently have some Triban 3 bikes in stock at 45cm and 48cm frame sizes (650 wheels) - £150.

Just bought a 48cm for my daughter who is advancing toward 5'4" as she was jealous I went out on a 20mile jaunt with her 10 yr old brother yesterday - [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] good to see you in Upper Beeding!

The 48cm comes in under 9.5kg so I am told, so this is an incredible bit kit for this price, anyone under 5'6" may well want to get it a look too.

I checked ebay, and used 48cm bikes have been regularly selling for £175, so at the very least a couple of rides and if he really doesn't like it you won't have lost anything. Was pretty surprised with what my lad managed Sunday, we went to the top of Devils Dyke, then across Edburton Road which has a few up and downs, than Coombes which has some steep ones too. He really enjoyed it.

Thanks for this Bold.

Our 11 yr old has the Triban 3 Jnr that we bought for her off Ebay a couple of years ago in virtually brand new condition for around that price. It's a little bit weighty but has been a very nice reliable bike for her on most, but not all gradients. I was attracted to the fact that for her first road bike she had the easy shift gears on the handlebars and only one front ring to worry about ( like on Isla bikes). Also nice having the second brake levers up on the handlebars too for little hands.

She's about ready to move up in size now and her jnr bike will pass down to our 7 yr old who very soon will be big enough for it. So I've been looking at the Triban you've posted here, but also at the Cerrera Zelos : http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/carrera-zelos-womens-road-bike-2015

Gears will be the deciding factor. Where we live, at the top of a hill, we are pretty much always faced with serious climbing to get back home. By serious I mean sections of 16% on all three of the hill options. This has obviously proved tricky for her on the old Triban with just 7 gears. The Triban you've mentioned has a triple - ideal for climbing but I'm concerned that too many gear changes confuse kids. So I'm wondering about the double on the Zelos? The ratios there are 50/34 - 14/28. Not quite sure if that will be enough for her or not on some of the hills we have around here.

How's your lad getting on with the triple on the Triban? Obviously managing the climbs a treat from the ride you mentioned there :thumbsup:
But how quickly has he taken to remembering where everything is on a triple?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thanks for this Bold.

Our 11 yr old has the Triban 3 Jnr that we bought for her off Ebay a couple of years ago in virtually brand new condition for around that price. It's a little bit weighty but has been a very nice reliable bike for her on most, but not all gradients. I was attracted to the fact that for her first road bike she had the easy shift gears on the handlebars and only one front ring to worry about ( like on Isla bikes). Also nice having the second brake levers up on the handlebars too for little hands.

She's about ready to move up in size now and her jnr bike will pass down to our 7 yr old who very soon will be big enough for it. So I've been looking at the Triban you've posted here, but also at the Cerrera Zelos : http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/carrera-zelos-womens-road-bike-2015

Gears will be the deciding factor. Where we live, at the top of a hill, we are pretty much always faced with serious climbing to get back home. By serious I mean sections of 16% on all three of the hill options. This has obviously proved tricky for her on the old Triban with just 7 gears. The Triban you've mentioned has a triple - ideal for climbing but I'm concerned that too many gear changes confuse kids. So I'm wondering about the double on the Zelos? The ratios there are 50/34 - 14/28. Not quite sure if that will be enough for her or not on some of the hills we have around here.

How's your lad getting on with the triple on the Triban? Obviously managing the climbs a treat from the ride you mentioned there :thumbsup:

Ed has a Isla Luath 24 with 7 gears so managed Devils Dyke and Annington on Coombes Lane on that and was fine. The Triban 3 I only ordered on Monday for my daughter who is 12 and that is coming today. She has been on an mtb recently with a triple and was fine with it so we'll have to see. What I did note is the Zelos looks over a kg heavier than the Triban which in the small size I understand comes in around 9.5kg - so a bit of a difference for a light person on a steep gradient. Once it arrives I'll report back.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

So, bike arrived and along with my son we went on another 20mile jaunt on the new Triban 3. The 48cm is just the right size for my daughter who is 5'4". The saddle is raised a fair bit, but there is still a few more inches till you get to the limit. She really likes the fit. With the saddle at halfway on the post her reach was pretty good.

The Triple was tricky to set up I've got to admit - everything has to be just right, and you obviously don't get full range in each of the rings, but with a bit of tweaking I think I am there for now. She hasn't really ridden a road bike before, but within an hour I think she had a good handle on the gears - changing wasn't a problem. The triple is definitely good for climbing, getting into that lower gear you can see it is really comfortable to spin up a steep incline. Only has conventional brake levers but she is strong enough now to use these from the hoods or the drops.

Bike feels light too, and looks great. For £150 its a great purchase and I also bought a couple of the hybrid tyres they have at 3.99 ea if she does want to do a bit of adventure trails.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here's one for you all, esp [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION].

Watch the last 10km or so of today's final stage of the Tour de Wallonie.

I know it couldn't be further from the last 3 weeks if we tried.
I know it's completely incomparable to Le Tour, but nevertheless it's bloody impossible not too.

1 super strong team (Etixx) v 5 teams with more than a passing interest in racing.

I'll say no more, but if you're in need of a cycling 'pick me up' this is it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nice one Bold. Thanks for the feedback and report. Glad to hear your daughter is made up with it.

The B'Twin is looking favourite here I must say. I'm tempted to jump in now before they sell out. The triple really does seem to be the best option for her because of it being so hilly around here. I take your point about the weight too and carbon forks at that price sounds fantastic. Reviews are always great on the B'Twins as well.

Think you've convinced me. Thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Nice one BS.

I had a bit of a chuckle tonight. As I joined a main road at the bottom of the last hill before home, I saw a rider about 80 yards away. I pulled out and just as I got into rhythm, he then another flew past. No problem with that. As the hill changed a massive degree or two, I caught them up in no time. Sadly, its a no-passing ascent for the first third due to traffic and parked cars, so I wobbled up behind them. We had a rest at the lights before I realised they were both going up as well. I was pretty annoyed at that. As we pulled off, the fella in front of me shouted 'go'. Not deliberately, I then showed him my front wheel on the inside (man his positioning was shite). Knowing there was nothing coming past, I pulled the pin. Part of me worried they were holding back and were gonna take me near the top. As if. I smoked them. Took 29 seconds off my PR for the post lights section. Given me confidence for some long lost hills again. Happy days.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Here's one for you all, esp [MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION].

Watch the last 10km or so of today's final stage of the Tour de Wallonie.

I know it couldn't be further from the last 3 weeks if we tried.
I know it's completely incomparable to Le Tour, but nevertheless it's bloody impossible not too.

1 super strong team (Etixx) v 5 teams with more than a passing interest in racing.

I'll say no more, but if you're in need of a cycling 'pick me up' this is it.

Thanks SB, I'll give it a watch.

I've been keeping an eye on results in that race because I want to see how certain riders are going, noting Meersman has finally been turning in some form and Demare appears to be struggling, but not got the chance to watch any of it. I don't know today's result so I'll enjoy watching this one back.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Cracking viewing SB , thanks :thumbsup:

Don't forget it's San Sebastian on Saturday. Can the Yates brothers keep up the good work? Adam won it last year, and Simon has just picked up a nice result recently too.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So, bike arrived and along with my son we went on another 20mile jaunt on the new Triban 3. The 48cm is just the right size for my daughter who is 5'4". The saddle is raised a fair bit, but there is still a few more inches till you get to the limit. She really likes the fit. With the saddle at halfway on the post her reach was pretty good.

The Triple was tricky to set up I've got to admit - everything has to be just right, and you obviously don't get full range in each of the rings, but with a bit of tweaking I think I am there for now. She hasn't really ridden a road bike before, but within an hour I think she had a good handle on the gears - changing wasn't a problem. The triple is definitely good for climbing, getting into that lower gear you can see it is really comfortable to spin up a steep incline. Only has conventional brake levers but she is strong enough now to use these from the hoods or the drops.

Bike feels light too, and looks great. For £150 its a great purchase and I also bought a couple of the hybrid tyres they have at 3.99 ea if she does want to do a bit of adventure trails.

Back again Bold.

Impressive delivery service! - Free delivery, ordered late Wednesday evening and arrived today.

I'm just as excited as the kids! We always had secondhand bikes as kids, I've always had second hand as an adult and so have our kids, barring a cheap tesco one once when one of them was small.

I'll report back once set up and she's been out on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here