Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Not far off a PW myself this morning and definitely shouldn't have posted about injury! Planned a five miler with the middle three at steady state. Pulled up totally after three miles with a weird and sharp pain in my achillies. I was told during marathon training to listen to my body and today it was telling me not to continue or I'd break myself. Walked home.

Sensible: as many NSC runners will know, Achilles can be *******s. Tendons take much longer to heal than muscle and so once you've got a problem it's hard to get rid. So best avoid in the first place - which you have (we hope) done.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Not far off a PW myself this morning and definitely shouldn't have posted about injury! Planned a five miler with the middle three at steady state. Pulled up totally after three miles with a weird and sharp pain in my achillies. I was told during marathon training to listen to my body and today it was telling me not to continue or I'd break myself. Walked home.

Very wise. Frozen peas on calf and achillies. Looking at your Strava runs since Phoenix you've done everything right, so bad luck but should be temporary. Before you resort to funding Paul's season ticket you could work on the standing stair stretch, if no pain now. Using good leg first as heel goes down work on bum out, stomach in and shoulders upwards. You may get it. Warm up, first. STOP if any pain. If it works £20 for you. Regards the Quack.
My calves were tight till Sunday and like you I was deliberately off the pace but I also felt generally knackered. This, plus constant calf strain on a ladder painting the outside of a house this week, has led to a three day running holiday. Back on it today using your pick up session.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think you might be right. Not that it was really about the time, but towards the end I really wanted to get done in under an hour, so at least one target (albeit revised) was hit!

This morning was all about sticking with the '5k a day' plan this week as well as proving that last night WAS just a freak of running.

Good luck for parkrun. I'm torn between Worthing and Hove Park at the moment...

Tried Hove Prom yet ?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Run once, never again (probably). One of the most boring runs I've ever done.

True enough. PB course though on a windless day......

Giving it a go tomorrow but experimenting rather than full out effort. Wind forecast is 5mph.
The first full out attempt is next weekend. I have chosen Hastings for that for a number of factors. First the new course won't be boring, secondly only one turn instead of 4 at Hove Prom, thirdly the paving stones are smoother than the broken asphalt on Hove Prom so less friction (?), fourthly I will be with the front runners unless a running club turns up as Parkrun tourists.
Put this together with no wind, the yellow hyper speeds and a vest and I reckon I will still miss revisiting sub 20 by 10-15 seconds and need another attempt in a months time.
Hope I remember the barcode!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
True enough. PB course though on a windless day......

I hear you Dazzer, but I'm WAY off PB pace at the mo, even on a flat, wind-assisted course. Not run a sub-22 since before Brighton and my PB is 20:54. Closest have been 21:10 (Worthing) and 21.11 (HP). Maybe that should be my goal for tomorrow, to break through that barrier and a light SW means I'm off to Worthing to help push me on that little bit more!

Mind you, today's 5km was nothing to write home about, but it did have a big hill at the start. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1266838044

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I hear you Dazzer, but I'm WAY off PB pace at the mo, even on a flat, wind-assisted course. Not run a sub-22 since before Brighton and my PB is 20:54. Closest have been 21:10 (Worthing) and 21.11 (HP). Maybe that should be my goal for tomorrow, to break through that barrier and a light SW means I'm off to Worthing to help push me on that little bit more!

Mind you, today's 5km was nothing to write home about, but it did have a big hill at the start. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1266838044

I'm about a minute off PB as well at the moment. Let's see who gets there first !

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What a difference a day makes...

I went out last night for a steady 5 miles. I didn't feel right from the off - feeling slightly, well, distant from it all. After 2.3 miles I felt quite dizzy and wobbly-legged. I slowed up and walked for about three quarters of a mile before slowly jogging the rest of the way home. One of my worst runs ever, if not the worst.

Today, I went out to do my 6 mile hilly loop which takes me most of the way up to Cissbury Ring. I've only done this one four times before today, all over the last month or so, but I took 3 minutes off my best time for the route and I felt strong throughout.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
What a difference a day makes...

I went out last night for a steady 5 miles. I didn't feel right from the off - feeling slightly, well, distant from it all. After 2.3 miles I felt quite dizzy and wobbly-legged. I slowed up and walked for about three quarters of a mile before slowly jogging the rest of the way home. One of my worst runs ever, if not the worst.

Today, I went out to do my 6 mile hilly loop which takes me most of the way up to Cissbury Ring. I've only done this one four times before today, all over the last month or so, but I took 3 minutes off my best time for the route and I felt strong throughout.

Yep, I certainly have days like your run. No reason for it either, or so it seems, just some days absolutely nothing in the tank. Then the next day, boom, flying. Very strange.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hove Prom stats. 20:29. best time this year. 6 seconds off last year's best time in the [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] race. 56 seconds off 2009 Parkrun PB. 2 mins 44 off 1996 PB. AGe grade lifetime best 75.67%.

Looking forward to next weeks Hasting's attempt at sub 20 but 20:15 will Be gladly accepted after analysis. May drop the bottle and a half of Touraine the night before for that one.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yep, I certainly have days like your run. No reason for it either, or so it seems, just some days absolutely nothing in the tank. Then the next day, boom, flying. Very strange.

It's a funny old game as they say. I did what was supposed to be an easy 30 mins last night. Legs felt like lead, breathing all over the place. Horrible. Doesn't bode well for 26 miles tonight.....

Hove Prom stats. 20:29. best time this year. 6 seconds off last year's best time in the [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] race. 56 seconds off 2009 Parkrun PB. 2 mins 44 off 1996 PB. AGe grade lifetime best 75.67%.

Looking forward to next weeks Hasting's attempt at sub 20 but 20:15 will Be gladly accepted after analysis. May drop the bottle and a half of Touraine the night before for that one.

Cracking run there fella.........you're ahead of me at the moment. Prom is a boring route but I think it's the fastest of the B&H courses. Hearing Worthing is a flyer as well so might have to give that a go next time I have to do one.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Well done; lifetime best is bloody great. You did for me today even on AG: 21:31 for me (AG 75.21%) at Worthing. Actually pleased with this as I've not run for 2 weeks other than a few laps of local park. Achilles not too bad...............will happily settle for this outcome.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

Great time. Less vino and more cloud and you should be on target to beat last years time.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I'm running the Lunar-tic tonight. I signed up after watching Wales beat Belgium and thought I also could take on the world. Hamstring is really tight again after Phoenix but not racing this just going for the fun of it. Hope to see [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] and [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] at the start.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done; lifetime best is bloody great. You did for me today even on AG: 21:31 for me (AG 75.21%) at Worthing. Actually pleased with this as I've not run for 2 weeks other than a few laps of local park. Achilles not too bad...............will happily settle for this outcome.

I won't be beating your AG percentage this summer. Strangest thing today is that Parkrun has edited my name on all 81 Parkruns to my wife's name, Archer, who is registered but has never run a Parkrun.

Good running for all the Lunartics tonight.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
I'm running the Lunar-tic tonight. I signed up after watching Wales beat Belgium and thought I also could take on the world. Hamstring is really tight again after Phoenix but not racing this just going for the fun of it. Hope to see [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] and [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] at the start.

See yah there.. Not used to waiting this long for a start... might have my usual bowl of porridge and bagel for lunch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here