Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Queens Park Brighton the most over rated area in the city ?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
not for much longer if southerns latest timetable is anything to go by

newhaven and seaford are already cheap but if they lose the rail link its gonna go through the floor

I don't think that's likely to happen, fortunately. Hopefully the connection to London via Uckfield will happen and we'll have a much better service.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
I was born and bred in kemp town back in the 50's. We lived in Sloane Street at the bottom of Park Street (now blocks of flats). My dad was a council gardener at Queens Park and I spent my formative years in the Park and had a fantastic time. My dad was offered our rented 3 storey house in Sloane Street for £100 in the 1950's and couldn't raise the money. Think about that.!
Happy memories of riding on the trolley busses and getting a clip round the ear hole from the Parkie for catching fish in the pond on our hand lines.
Happy memories indeed. Would love a nice house over looking the park but out of my price range now. Still, happy in Poynings.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I was born and bred in kemp town back in the 50's. We lived in Sloane Street at the bottom of Park Street (now blocks of flats). My dad was a council gardener at Queens Park and I spent my formative years in the Park and had a fantastic time. My dad was offered our rented 3 storey house in Sloane Street for £100 in the 1950's and couldn't raise the money. Think about that.!
Happy memories of riding on the trolley busses and getting a clip round the ear hole from the Parkie for catching fish in the pond on our hand lines.
Happy memories indeed. Would love a nice house over looking the park but out of my price range now. Still, happy in Poynings.

my first memeories were of going to Queens park with my cousins, we lived in Miguel street nearly all of that gone now.
same old story born and bred a Brightonian now cannot afford to live there

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
For me Queens Park is the most over rated area. Just seen a semi on right move on west drive at 1.7m. Really ! There is nothing there other than a park ! For that price you can buy anywhere in the city.

Anyone else have an area they think is over rated ?

Five Ways is also overrated, what's all that 5-Ways Village nonsense about?

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Westdene is also massively over rated and over priced.. I live there for three years and there's nothing there to do and it's so hilly, we had a 150ft garden that was useless as it was too steep to use!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I just bought my first flat, it's on Queens Park Road.

Personally, we love it. Having lived in the centre of town and off St. James Street its so nice being somewhere quiet. Loads of good pubs. Massive bloody park to sit in which is also blissfully devoid of DFL types on the weekends.

Been sitting here all day wondering what the definition of DFL is?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
-a grand total of ONE cash point within the boundaries of Hanover (I hope this has changed since I lived there)

That right there is the biggest problem with living in the Queens Park area of Brighton. If you live in the Queens Park area (so any of the streets on the left-hand side of Queens Park Road as you go down, or streets on the right-hand side of Freshfield Road as you go down) then you have about a 10-15 minute walk to either St George's Road, St James' Street, Lewes Road or London Road to get to a free cashpoint, depending on whereabouts in that area you live. I used to live up by The Hanover pub and Lewes Road was the nearest option for me, but it was still 10 minutes walk. Not great when it is peeing it down.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Westdene is also massively over rated and over priced.. I live there for three years and there's nothing there to do and it's so hilly, we had a 150ft garden that was useless as it was too steep to use!

Have fond memories of Westdene as went to school there as a child. The one thing it does lack, however, is a decent pub. Or correction, any pub, unless you count The Sportsman or carvery or whatever it is now.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I lived there as a child, never been back. What's it like now?

Fiveways is OK. When I was property hunting last year, I viewed a few places over that way. Some of the properties there are not quite as large inside as you think they are going to be.

Property up there tends to be on the steep side of the value curve because of its proximity to the 2 secondary schools. Plenty of local amenities nearby - parks, shops, not the greatest area for pubs. It's OK, although not all it's cracked up to be.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Have fond memories of Westdene as went to school there as a child. The one thing it does lack, however, is a decent pub. Or correction, any pub, unless you count The Sportsman or carvery or whatever it is now.

It's strange, isn't it? You would have thought there would be one on Eldred Avenue or Valley Drive. Even Patcham's got the Ladies' Mile and the Long Man of Wilmington, and the Black Lion in the village. I was born in Rustington, but spent the first year of my life in Patcham (my parents' bungalow is now under the bypass flyover) and was baptised in All Saints Church. Funnily enough, when going back to visit, I thought Patcham was just the bit by the Black Lion and the church. I didn't know the bit up Carden Avenue was there until we started playing at Withdean and I used to park up one of the side streets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here