Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The best bit of transfer business ever.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I always think it's important to trash young players.

Yep it was a lot of money, but as already mentioned the fees paid between top clubs are pretty much a nonsense these days.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
A mate of mine who is a City fan and goes to all the games said a while ago that he doesn't see Sterling as having "it".

As in with some young players you can see that they just need more experience, better coaching, work on their physique etc and that with that they could become world class.

Sterling just has pace and he's not going to get quicker.

I hope he comes good but I won't be holding my breath.

Your mate is better placed to judge him than anyone on this forum ( including myself ) When you see a player week after week, you ' suss' him out. You see him in all different circumstances and you see his character and his ability.
With Deli Alli and Marcus Rashford you can see the ability already. It just needs honing over the next 3-4 years and they will be high class players. With Sterling, its just a bit of pace and not much more. As a wide man does he consistently beat people? Does he cross accurately? Does he create? Does he make intelligent runs? How good is his first touch and can he head the ball? Does he battle his socks off when the going gets tough? Can he take set-pieces? Can he finish?
Need I go on?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I like Carroll, if it wasn't for his injuries, he would be an England regular. I just can't see why Liverpool paid so much for him and to then not play to his strengths. As proven at West Ham, when he is fit, play to his strengths and he is a class striker.
As for Sterling, he is young so can improve, but from what I can see, he is all pace but no end product.
Can you imagine the amount of goals The Albion would score with even a Championship version of Carroll, Gestede instantly springs to mind.
Alternatively how many goals West Ham would score if Skalak were 'Premier League Ready'.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Yep it was a lot of money, but as already mentioned the fees paid between top clubs are pretty much a nonsense these days.

As I have said before, there is a level of competence expected of a player, irrespective of age, if he pulls on an International shirt. Under certain England managers of the past, his last two performances would have guaranteed that he would not have been picked again in their period in charge.
His early miss yesterday was quite appalling and could have cost us further progress in this competition. He doesn't deserve to play another minute in these finals. Players of any age are there to be shot at. Sterling is a big boy now at 21. He is not 17 and raw around the edges. Even former pro's, who usually close ranks and support their own, were critical of him. Its hard to think of one positive contribution he made. That's how poor he was. If you think that is trashing then so be it.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Sterling in a greedy pacey player. He makes runs with the ball and without but ultimately has little end product but he is flipping fast.

Just like Aaron Lennon & Shaun Wright-Phillips another quick English youngster but Sterling tries to shoot too often and doesn't play for his teammates

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Sterling in a greedy pacey player. He makes runs with the ball and without but ultimately has little end product but he is flipping fast.

Just like Aaron Lennon & Shaun Wright-Phillips another quick English youngster but Sterling tries to shoot too often and doesn't play for his teammates

Pace always helps but you need more than that. Older posters will remember a certain Dave Armstrong flying down our wing. He made Sterling look pedestrian. Sadly, there was little end product. For a while we perservered with the tactic of launching the ball long from the k.o and using Armstrong to try and catch the oppo's cold. Only on one occasion did it work, as he caught up with ball, amazingly crossed it accurately at full speed and we went a goal up in 12 seconds. The rest of the time, he either miscontrolled it, overran it or simply
overhit or underhit his cross. One swallow doesn't make a summer.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

I agree with one part of your post and vehemently disagree with another part, but I,m not telling you which one is which.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
As I have said before, there is a level of competence expected of a player, irrespective of age, if he pulls on an International shirt. Under certain England managers of the past, his last two performances would have guaranteed that he would not have been picked again in their period in charge.
His early miss yesterday was quite appalling and could have cost us further progress in this competition. He doesn't deserve to play another minute in these finals. Players of any age are there to be shot at. Sterling is a big boy now at 21. He is not 17 and raw around the edges. Even former pro's, who usually close ranks and support their own, were critical of him. Its hard to think of one positive contribution he made. That's how poor he was. If you think that is trashing then so be it.

Of course he is still raw around the edges. He's 21.

Apparently he's been so rubbish last season (his first season at City) he only scored 12 goals with 8 assists, that's after starting 36 games. 43% of his shots are on target, and when they are on target he scores 30% of the time.

(those stats are from the ESPN site BTW and are club games only).

In fact if you look at his stats from the last 3 seasons, he's been pretty consistent.

The fee for him was ridiculous. He hasn't justified it, but that's the stupidity of football transfer prices.

He's been poor in two games for England I agree with that. I also agree that it was a great bit of business for Liverpool. But the rest of your original post, no.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What a load of nonsense. I don't like the way the guy handled his Liverpool exit, but the guy, at 21, is just going through a dip. The guy oozes class when used correctly and I suspect that the coming years will prove how silly this thread is.

He acted the same at QPR - the blokes a dick.

He's out the City team because of Navas.

That says a lot

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
I actually think Raheem is Cush at football.

He can't pass, he can't cross but BOY is he fast. You can't put a price on that! Well except £50 million obviously... Modern football, you've just got to love it.

One team, one Dream... Kosh[/QUOTE

He's got this reputation as fast but he seems to be doing a KLL and actually slowing the game down these days by controlling the ball and coming to a standstill before passing backwards. He should be darting between fullback and CB and scaring people. Only people he's scaring is the England fans!
]

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Pace always helps but you need more than that. Older posters will remember a certain Dave Armstrong flying down our wing. He made Sterling look pedestrian. Sadly, there was little end product. For a while we perservered with the tactic of launching the ball long from the k.o and using Armstrong to try and catch the oppo's cold. Only on one occasion did it work, as he caught up with ball, amazingly crossed it accurately at full speed and we went a goal up in 12 seconds. The rest of the time, he either miscontrolled it, overran it or simply
Jeez, he was f'ing quick but, as you say, had great difficulty controlling the ball at mach 1.5.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
The best bit of transfer business EVER in the whole history of the game was Bobby Zamora to Brighton & Hove Albion for 100k. The worst bit of business there ever was surely must be Dean Saunders to Oxford Utd for 60k

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I actually think Raheem is Cush at football.

He can't pass, he can't cross but BOY is he fast. You can't put a price on that! Well except £50 million obviously... Modern football, you've just got to love it.

One team, one Dream... Kosh

Sounds like you are describing our Kazenga there. The diifference is, no one will give us five, never mind fifty million for him!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I think very unfair to judge ....he wasn't in the city team very much and when he did play the team as a whole weren't very good,

Spot on by [MENTION=17103]Mo Gosfield[/MENTION] then, very fair to judge.
50 Million and he wasn't in the City team that much ? ???

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Obviously Mo Gosfield usually writes under the name Michael Calvin.

The best bit of transfer business EVER in the whole history of the game was Bobby Zamora to Brighton & Hove Albion for 100k. The worst bit of business there ever was surely must be Dean Saunders to Oxford Utd for 60k
What about Gary Hart in exchange for some training tops or is that an urban myth??

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
What about Gary Hart in exchange for some training tops or is that an urban myth??

plus a thousand quid, but yeah, training tops were part of the deal

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

And Gerry Fell. Actually, that's quite funny in at least three respects :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here