Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can any NSC runners recommend a decent running watch? I am looking for something with an activity tracker and that I can also wear as a every day watch.

I'd procrastinated for ages as to which Garmin to plump for. Whilst I was still debating they released their new range, so I went for the Forerunner 235. It has an in-built heart rate monitor. If you're not bothered about the HRM, you can save money and go for the 230.

My main reason for getting it was so I could have real-time pacing information which I didn't get with Strava on my iPhone, but it does all manner of fancy bits and pieces beyond that.

It's been on my wrist ever since I bought it - I don't wear a 'real' watch any more. There are a number of different watch faces you can quickly download from Garmin to suit your whims, and it does step counting and sleep monitoring. It nicely syncs to my iPhone and then Strava without me having to do anything.

I think [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] has just gone 'top of the line' with the Forerunner 630, which is about £50 more than the 235. Comparison of the 230 v 235 v 630 here: https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/cat...5&compareProduct=529988&compareProduct=523893

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Completely normal - but try to relax, you have done all the hard work, and you really would be very unlucky to get anything to stop you running in the next few days. Try not to get pissed and jump 14 rows of seats when we nab a last minute winner on Friday though.

Looks like I have the all-clear to plod round (maybe not on the 3.45 train though). Very surreal week - not run for a month, couldn't run for 10 mins on Monday (calves tightened to agonising proportions) and as a result of that 10 mins could barely walk Tuesday. Tried a couple of things my physio who has been treating my neck) recommended and by Friday decided to have a quick go on the treadmill - did 4m then, 6m Saturday, 13m Sunday, 4.5m Monday and 5m yesterday without so much as a twinge. Appears I might have been suffering from 'adverse neural mobility' rather than 'flimsy calves' - possibly for years. Have done a lot of reading around it this week and seems to make sense. Early days but if it solves my recurrent calf issues than brilliant - just more than a bit annoying it's taken nearly 15 years to work it out. Might be of interest to anyone with calf/hammy issues.................................nothing more complicated than a few stretching moves that takes a few minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzcncRdkHno

Good news on your recovery. The initial back stretch is the basic yoga cat pose moving into the cow pose. Part of my routine but I will check out my body position to ensure I'm getting it right.

My maranoia is that my legs feel better than last 3 marathons. Relaxed without any tightness. I'm not used to that. My right side ITB after being pulverised pre Hastings has become more flexible than ever. I attribute it to you Downsmen getting me up on the hills for training. 18 days away from hills as training became course specific and I'm feeling great.

Still not getting on the 3:45 Preston Park Express but may jump on board between Boundary Road and the King Alfred.
Well aware of your slow plods so probably see you on the course.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I'd procrastinated for ages as to which Garmin to plump for. Whilst I was still debating they released their new range, so I went for the Forerunner 235. It has an in-built heart rate monitor. If you're not bothered about the HRM, you can save money and go for the 230.

My main reason for getting it was so I could have real-time pacing information which I didn't get with Strava on my iPhone, but it does all manner of fancy bits and pieces beyond that.

It's been on my wrist ever since I bought it - I don't wear a 'real' watch any more. There are a number of different watch faces you can quickly download from Garmin to suit your whims, and it does step counting and sleep monitoring. It nicely syncs to my iPhone and then Strava without me having to do anything.

I think [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] has just gone 'top of the line' with the Forerunner 630, which is about £50 more than the 235. Comparison of the 230 v 235 v 630 here: https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/cat...5&compareProduct=529988&compareProduct=523893

Thanks for this thats really helpful. I get 50% off garmin watches through my Health Insurance company so looks like it would be a good option.

The only bit I would be potentially interested in that the 630 offers over the 235 is the running dynamics as if it could help you correct your running technique then that could be really beneficial. Never know whether things like that just turn out to be gimmicks or not.

Does the heart rate monitoring seem reliable?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Does the heart rate monitoring seem reliable?

It certainly shoots up when I'm running!

d17be3cab05979642a8f0f6f0403ba08.jpg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Completely normal - but try to relax, you have done all the hard work, and you really would be very unlucky to get anything to stop you running in the next few days.
Looks like I have the all-clear to plod round (maybe not on the 3.45 train though). Very surreal week - not run for a month, couldn't run for 10 mins on Monday (calves tightened to agonising proportions) and as a result of that 10 mins could barely walk Tuesday. Tried a couple of things my physio who has been treating my neck) recommended and by Friday decided to have a quick go on the treadmill - did 4m then, 6m Saturday, 13m Sunday, 4.5m Monday and 5m yesterday without so much as a twinge. Appears I might have been suffering from 'adverse neural mobility' rather than 'flimsy calves' - possibly for years. Have done a lot of reading around it this week and seems to make sense. Early days but if it solves my recurrent calf issues than brilliant - just more than a bit annoying it's taken nearly 15 years to work it out. Might be of interest to anyone with calf/hammy issues.................................nothing more complicated than a few stretching moves that takes a few minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzcncRdkHno

Great that you're back, hope to see you somewhere on Sunday.

Try not to get pissed and jump 14 rows of seats when we nab a last minute winner on Friday though.

:lolol: Should be ok no bottom tier for Steve to try and lure me in to. Everyone's been told I'm on the lemonade.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I bought the 630 with the HRM. It is an indulgence, but as a lover of stats, I enjoy downloading the data and reviewing it. Doesnt't make me a better runner, just a more informed one.

The 630 is what the Apple Watch should be, as it buzzes every time I have a message from Strava, FB,LinkedIn etc, so can discretely review those on my watch, AND it has GPS, unlike the Apple Watch.

Lactate threshold, suffer scores, recovery times, vertical oscillation info is fun for a while, as are the QI apps, but ultimately it's a damn good running watch. Racing against target times, and things of that nature do incentivise you to pace yourself slightly better.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I bought the 630 with the HRM. It is an indulgence, but as a lover of stats, I enjoy downloading the data and reviewing it. Doesnt't make me a better runner, just a more informed one.

The 630 is what the Apple Watch should be, as it buzzes every time I have a message from Strava, FB,LinkedIn etc, so can discretely review those on my watch, AND it has GPS, unlike the Apple Watch.

Lactate threshold, suffer scores, recovery times, vertical oscillation info is fun for a while, as are the QI apps, but ultimately it's a damn good running watch. Racing against target times, and things of that nature do incentivise you to pace yourself slightly better.

How much ££

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
I'm taking the phone to show the email but only 10 mins away. Maybe worth you printing it. I'm going at opening time Friday if you want me to tell you.
I don't have the original email and haven't received a copy!

Phoned them up and they said they are having a few IT issues but to just bring photo ID!

They assured me it won't be an issue!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
if anyone's getting the train on Sunday be aware that SASTA have closed Preston Park station till 11am under police advice "due to safety reasons". They are running extra trains - but only to Brighton :rant:

I really don't see what the big fuss is. PP Station to PP - 0.5 miles; BTN Station to PP - 0.7 miles! Source: Google Maps :)

You could always ask Zoe Ball for a lift. You must be on nodding acquaintances the amount of times you've spent running alongside Millionaire's Row this last 12 months.

I saw her sat on the corner of a wall as I was struggling along that bit in 2014. She even gave me a shout, bless her...

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
Can any NSC runners recommend a decent running watch? I am looking for something with an activity tracker and that I can also wear as a every day watch.
Always had Garmin and always happy with them!

If you are serious about your fitness the Garmin 920xt is fantastic, albeit a tad pricey!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I bought a 910 xt because it does swimming as well, no fancy coloured screen and a separate heart monitor required, its a bulky ******* as well. Certainly not one for casual wear!

Hearing about the 630 is making me jealous though, think I might know were a sizeable chunk of this years bonus is going towards.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

As a lover of stats. would you share them with a tightwad who only has an old Forerunner 305? I have a query on the point the body stops being able to rid the lactic acid from the blood stream. For a marathon, training at this threshold is really important.

Do you do a test for lactate threshold using the Garmin or does it calculate using data from the runs of the last few months? The latter would be changing with any improvement or decrease in fitness.

Problem for me is I don't know if mine is 7:40 or 8:40. From the Hastings half I could say 7:40 but for threshold runs I stick to 8:15 to 8:40.

Is your lactate threshold in the 8:20 to 8:40 range?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As a lover of stats. would you share them with a tightwad who only has an old Forerunner 305? I have a query on the point the body stops being able to rid the lactic acid from the blood stream. For a marathon, training at this threshold is really important.

Do you do a test for lactate threshold using the Garmin or does it calculate using data from the runs of the last few months? The latter would be changing with any improvement or decrease in fitness.

Problem for me is I don't know if mine is 7:40 or 8:40. From the Hastings half I could say 7:40 but for threshold runs I stick to 8:15 to 8:40.

I've only had the 630 a few days, so still building up the data to do the calculations.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I bought a 910 xt because it does swimming as well, no fancy coloured screen and a separate heart monitor required, its a bulky ******* as well. Certainly not one for casual wear!

Hearing about the 630 is making me jealous though, think I might know were a sizeable chunk of this years bonus is going towards.

I was fortunate. Brother in law owns a few horses. Advised me a couple were looking good. Second place at 11/2 followed by reinvesting the money on another at 14/1 paid for the 630.

It's a great piece of kit, no doubt overpriced but effectively only cost me £20.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Out of interact, are most NSC runners members of running clubs? If not would it be useful to set up our own club and affiliate to UKAA?

That way we'd benefit from (small) discounts on entry fees on races, which would pay for membership etc.

Could even go further and have our own colours for vests.

Any views?

Sent from Konnie Huq's lingerie drawer.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I've done an LT test......anything on a garmin will only be a rough estimate though. The test I did involved a blood sample every 3 minutes whilst on a treadmill at steadily increasing speed. The graph of lactic acid in the blood is quite startling when the threshold is hit - rises very rapidly (think of an elevation chart along the Adur and then up Truleigh Hill [emoji3]). Your 5k pace is about the same as mine so I'd imagine you LT would be similar - I can't find the report but it was 12.8kph I think so your 7.40 estimate of LT sounds about right.

Do you have your 6 training zone paces ? Strava gives you these based on a suitable race time (5k works). Your actual 'threshold' pace is breathing threshold not lactate though. My training zones (yours again will be v similar) based on a 20 min 5k are :

Recovery/ultra pace - >9.00
Easy - 8.06-9.00
Tempo - 6.57-8.05 (half - marathon pace)
Threshold - 6.31-6.57 (5-10k pace)
VO2 Max - 6.07-6.31 (800-1500m intervals)
Anaerobic - <6.06 (sprints)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here