Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ok thanks, Brighton is definitely my priority, as I've never done a marathon before so I want to make sure I'm well prepared for that.
My problem is that lots of people I know are running Hastings and the closer it gets the more serious I feel about it.
I think I've got carried away thinking about it, with it being my local half wanting to get a PB as its the first time I've run it seriously since starting running.
I'm just being a greedy runner I suppose wanting it all without thinking of the repercussions.

You're young, you"ll recover quickly. Enjoy it!

Well done [MENTION=67]Curious Orange[/MENTION].

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Some impressive running today, went out for what was meant to be an easy 14 miles but found myself running at 7.30 pace (too fast for me) for 7 miles and shouting obscenities into the head wind on the way back.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Lovely conditions today went out after two decent off loads

do you find that you can't go out and run properly unless you've done the right number of offloads?

I've had a couple of "panic attacks" over the years - once when Hove Rugby clubhouse came to my rescue....and once when Greenleas bushes and damp newspaper had to do.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Lovely conditions today went out after two decent off loads

do you find that you can't go out and run properly unless you've done the right number of offloads?

I've had a couple of "panic attacks" over the years - once when Hove Rugby clubhouse came to my rescue....and once when Greenleas bushes and damp newspaper had to do.

Not so much now. Twice training for my first marathon in 2012 I had two Alfrescco poo's. A lovely picturesque one of the cliffs overlooking Brighton Marina and the second a more seedy affair in an alley way deep into Peacehaven.

It's rare now but I do feel a lot better if I know I've had a decent clear out. Before the Worthing Half I must have had 5 but I put that down to nerves.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Ran 18 miles in 3 hours today. I was getting ready when @guiness boy uploaded his morning run and went out to go one better and cement my top 3 strava position. Don't know why but just couldn't get going, thought I'd done everything right and perfect conditions so no excuses. Ended up taking a short cut and reducing the run by 2.5 miles. I am a bit concerned that I'm not ready for BM, I could not have run another 8 miles today. Could one of the more seasoned marathon runners advise on whether this is normal at this stage?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Ran 18 miles in 3 hours today. I was getting ready when @guiness boy uploaded his morning run and went out to go one better and cement my top 3 strava position. Don't know why but just couldn't get going, thought I'd done everything right and perfect conditions so no excuses. Ended up taking a short cut and reducing the run by 2.5 miles. I am a bit concerned that I'm not ready for BM, I could not have run another 8 miles today. Could one of the more seasoned marathon runners advise on whether this is normal at this stage?

You'll be fine. 18 is enough to get round ok on marathon day. I've run 3 marathons two where my longest run was 18 in 2012 & 17.5 in 2015 I ran brilliantly on both occasion and felt strong throughout.

2014 I ran x2 18 and x 2 20 and almost gave up at 18. I had over trained and my body was collapsing through the run. Post marathon I tried to go on a few runs but ended up doing a fortune on physio and missed 3 months of running through injury.

You done the right thing today if you were struggling, no point pushing through for 20 when the likelihood is it will prevent you keeping up the mileage through the week.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Far too early for squeaky bum time, despite @BigNuts efforts. Just keep to the plan and the big day will see you through. You did hills today as well.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Good running and nice tactics to leave it to see what needs to be done :) . We've both been beaten by even more late surges including an actual marathon though!

Brighton will be my first marathon too but my bespoke training plan is now fitting more around speed work and timed long runs. Your body doesn't know you've been running for 26 miles, it knows you've been running for x hours and x minutes. The longest run on my plan is 3 hours but then I'm aiming to come in at about 3h 50m and the extra adrenaline on race day plus a couple of weeks more peak build before taper SHOULD see me fine. If you are getting plenty of time on your feet and your pace is picking up with training then I'd hope you'll be in good shape. That's certainly my aim.

I've now worked out who you are on strava. FYI I've asked [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] if we can sticky our REMF just giving links.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
You'll be fine. 18 is enough to get round ok on marathon day. I've run 3 marathons two where my longest run was 18 in 2012 & 17.5 in 2015 I ran brilliantly on both occasion and felt strong throughout.

2014 I ran x2 18 and x 2 20 and almost gave up at 18. I had over trained and my body was collapsing through the run. Post marathon I tried to go on a few runs but ended up doing a fortune on physio and missed 3 months of running through injury.

You done the right thing today if you were struggling, no point pushing through for 20 when the likelihood is it will prevent you keeping up the mileage through the week.

Thanks, maybe I'm expecting too much but I have no experience at this distance and keep expecting my long runs to start feeling more comfortable. My training plan gives me the next 3 days off and red wine is already easing my fears.
Got to say marathon running is brutal and I under estimated the physical demands it's making on my ancient frame

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Far too early for squeaky bum time, despite @BigNuts efforts. Just keep to the plan and the big day will see you through. You did hills today as well.

Thanks, I also took delivery of my new Asics trainers yesterday. They have colourful soles, I'll show you on Sunday ��

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Good running and nice tactics to leave it to see what needs to be done :) . We've both been beaten by even more late surges including an actual marathon though!

Brighton will be my first marathon too but my bespoke training plan is now fitting more around speed work and timed long runs. Your body doesn't know you've been running for 26 miles, it knows you've been running for x hours and x minutes. The longest run on my plan is 3 hours but then I'm aiming to come in at about 3h 50m and the extra adrenaline on race day plus a couple of weeks more peak build before taper SHOULD see me fine. If you are getting plenty of time on your feet and your pace is picking up with training then I'd hope you'll be in good shape. That's certainly my aim.

I've now worked out who you are on strava. FYI I've asked [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] if we can sticky our REMF just giving links.

Can't believe you've been knocked off too. Can we put a new rule in nothing uploaded after 3pm is counted on Sunday's?

I think you and I are on about the same level and I've watched your times get better and better. Im following a training plan but do try to mix it up a bit as not keen on interval running. Usually change those to hill climbs which is more fun. I think that was your longest run today, how did you feel after?

Would be great if Bozza agrees. Congratulations on your present total, impressive. :clap2:

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Things going from bad to worse. Garmin Connect has lost its Classic set up which means I can't download runs at the moment, my Mac is too ancient to do the downloads. I've been holding of buying a new Mac so now ill be taking the plunge next week, fortunately it coincides with bonus pay day.

Thank God Albion weren't playing! Lol

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Can't believe you've been knocked off too. Can we put a new rule in nothing uploaded after 3pm is counted on Sunday's?

I think you and I are on about the same level and I've watched your times get better and better. Im following a training plan but do try to mix it up a bit as not keen on interval running. Usually change those to hill climbs which is more fun. I think that was your longest run today, how did you feel after?

Would be great if Bozza agrees. Congratulations on your present total, impressive. :clap2:

Thanks!

I've done two 16 milers and today was the second of those. More hills today yet quicker which I was really pleased with. I have aches and pains and need to foam roll every night but I really enjoyed today's run. What's not to like about running along the cliff tops in early morning spring sunshine, it was a privilege. We do seem to be at a similar standard and I reckon we'll both be alright on the night. Possibly only the ignorance of the unknown is making me say that though! :lolol:

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk

Just a Blip! Still a few weeks before you taper. Sure you will get some long runs in before then.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great weekend running guys. South Downs Way was lovely yesterday – even though it was very foggy – and made a nice change from the town/seafront typical long run.

Only 16 miles, but hillwork, a decent pace and finish, so I was happy :)

One month until Brighton...

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1084473522

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good work out. 5 weeks not a month to Brighton.........
Yeah sorry about that. Got my 14th and 17th mixed up.[emoji38]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yeah sorry about that. Got my 14th and 17th mixed up.[emoji38]

I need that extra week. Struggling to throw off headaches and sore throat. Wonder if I got it when I froze my boll***ks off at 6:30 on Truleigh Hill last week. Either that or [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] sent them flying over the Adur whilst doing the Steyning Stinger.....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here