Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who is the Albion's greatest ever cult hero...

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Correct answer is Johnny Crumplin (football genius)

Honourable mentions to Gerry Armstrong for vaulting the small fence at Southwick (iirc) and nutting the abusive fan. An Irish Cantona if you like.

Jimmy Case. For being sent off for being deaf.

Supermarket trolley and the phone in. Best chant ever.

simon101

and smith MUST score
Aug 4, 2009
lewes
Alan Duffy, Bert Murray (we paid for him), THE football genius that was J. Crumplin, Zamora, Vicente !!!!!!!!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Mike Small.

What a shot he had on him. The partnership with him and John Byrne was fantastic in the play-off final season (1990/91). I don't think he ever understood the offside rule though. Sold to West Ham for £600,000 (?). A huge profit on the 40k from a Greek club.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Will probably get flamed for this, but never quite understood the hero worship of Johnny Crumplin. He was seriously crap when he first started playing for us, a complete liability and quite simply one of the most pilloried Albion players ever. The 'football genius' thing was (obviously) ironic to start with, although he did get better and had one very good game against Liverpool. Still not really sure why this makes him a 'cult hero', though...? I still have lots of memories of how awful he was.

Agree, he did get better, but he is still the only professional footballer I have ever seen completely miss the ball, when the ball was not moving. But is great example of when a footballer received positive support (although the very tongue in cheek) he got a lot better. My list would be: Bobby Smith, Ålan Duffy, Brian Horton, Peter Ward and Calderon

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Scrolled through all pages and...eventually...my three nominations have been mentioned!

Paul 'Tank' Clark ("Clark is eeeevil")
Tony 'Tiger' Towner
Kerry 'the Ginger Prince' Mayo

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Wot no poll?

Crumplin Crumplin Crumplin Crumplin Crumplin Crumplin

He went from zero to absolute hero. Can't think of any other player who turned round the fans opinion of him to such a huge degree. And he got his own T-Shirt (which I still have).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Tank, for the performance at Newcastle, when Lawro was out and it was all to play for in 79.
I remember the home game against Aston Villa when within the first ten seconds he tackled Dennis Mortimer and sent him about four foot up in the air. Think we went on to win the game. He was proper hard.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
The two names most people will always remember at Albion are Peter Ward and Bobby Zamora at the moment.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
probably not our best but a gentleman
Chris Catlin
and Harry Wilson was one nice bloke too

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
No one person could fill that spot but my list includes Peter Ward, Bobby Zamora, Alan Mullery, John Crumplin, Dick Knight, Ian Heart, Gary Heart, Atilla, all those who played a part however small in getting the Albion home and then Falmer you can go on and on all cult heroes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here