Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wales v Fiji

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think we'll lose against Australia. We've shown we can't think on our feet and both Robshaw and Lancaster's lack of nous have been exposed. I fancy it'll be close but the margins are so fine. Robshaw and Lancaster are not Johnson and Woodward.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Why are we giving the Welsh the advantage of playing at home when they are in our group?

Believe it or not, they actually asked if they could play us in Cardiff...

Not that the 'feck off' they got mattered in the end.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Obviously England will need to beat Australia on Saturday, but that fourth try that England scored in the last seconds against Fiji (resulting in a bonus point) could prove to be the most decisive score of the group. Australia failed to do that against Fiji, and I suspect Wales will struggle to achieve that too.

I think Wales will beat Fiji, but it will be interesting to see how they perform after that epic battle with England. Jaded and lacklustre could be their undoing - time will tell.

The turnaround has been very short for Wales. Gatland was right to raise concerns. It may have cost them the bonus point.

el punal

I think we'll lose against Australia. We've shown we can't think on our feet and both Robshaw and Lancaster's lack of nous have been exposed. I fancy it'll be close but the margins are so fine. Robshaw and Lancaster are not Johnson and Woodward.
Over the last three 6 Nations tournaments England always seem to conjure up one poor performance in each season to ruin their chances of a Grand Slam. I feel the same applies to this World Cup. Their ineptitude in not closing out the game against Wales, when they were 10 points clear, is almost unforgivable. Credit to Wales though, they played out of their skins. The good thing is that England live to fight another day. It's backs against the wall for the Australia game, which strangely enough might give England that impetus to win.

With regard to your comparison between Johnson/Woodward and Robshaw/Lancaster there is none. Back in 2003, England were favourites, the best team in the world and had beaten all the Southern Hemisphere nations in the previous 12 months. They had, arguably the best ever England captain, the best ever England back row of Back, Hill and Dallaglio, and, a certain Mr.Wilkinson. And, although an ageing team, they were experienced and knew how to overcome the sort of problems that Wales posed last Saturday.

The current England team is the youngest (average age) in the tournament and lacks, in my view, the hard nose experience that is required to take them all the way. Having said that, on their day they are quick and exciting to watch when they break with speed. Very un-English! I must admit it would be a great shame if they were to exit the tournament so soon, so here's hoping for a repeat of the 2003 result against the Aussies.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Over the last three 6 Nations tournaments England always seem to conjure up one poor performance in each season to ruin their chances of a Grand Slam. I feel the same applies to this World Cup. Their ineptitude in not closing out the game against Wales, when they were 10 points clear, is almost unforgivable. Credit to Wales though, they played out of their skins. The good thing is that England live to fight another day. It's backs against the wall for the Australia game, which strangely enough might give England that impetus to win.

With regard to your comparison between Johnson/Woodward and Robshaw/Lancaster there is none. Back in 2003, England were favourites, the best team in the world and had beaten all the Southern Hemisphere nations in the previous 12 months. They had, arguably the best ever England captain, the best ever England back row of Back, Hill and Dallaglio, and, a certain Mr.Wilkinson. And, although an ageing team, they were experienced and knew how to overcome the sort of problems that Wales posed last Saturday.

The current England team is the youngest (average age) in the tournament and lacks, in my view, the hard nose experience that is required to take them all the way. Having said that, on their day they are quick and exciting to watch when they break with speed. Very un-English! I must admit it would be a great shame if they were to exit the tournament so soon, so here's hoping for a repeat of the 2003 result against the Aussies.

Great post, spot on

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I think regardless of individual talent the brains trust that shapes the tactics before and during the match is crucial. Hypothetically, if England had had the same side but with Johnson on the field and Woodward in the stands on Saturday they would have won that Wales match comfortably.

England will give Australia a right battle but we lose too many big matches under the current regime. They're close but not quite good enough.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Very much agree 2003 was 'now or never'. 2007 was a freak episode, very French in the sense of blundering their way to the final. I like Lancaster though, and wouldn't want to dump him too quickly at the behest of the media.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here