Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle and Sunderland

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Shining examples of how a great stadium and a big fan base guarantees success. We should take heart from their example...............

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Can someone else please post the FACT that Sunderland have the 8th largest wage bill in the Premier League.
Between laughs I'm getting stuck recorditis.

Because they have players like Kaboul on 60-70k a week and Defoe on 90!!!!

Sunderland are going down, Newcastle could

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Not on very high wages. £15K before non-existent bonuses. If we could afford Vydra we could afford Buckley. I think Buckley would fit in with CH tactics (especially the long balls out from Stockdale) better than Poyet's. Early in Gigg's career he had hamstring problems but he went on to play lots of games without missing many through injury.

15k? you are deluded if you think Buckley is only on 15k. he was probably not far off that much when he was with us. And quite obviously we couldn't afford Vydra.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I reckon some if it is down to them having the most impatient set of fans in the league. They are always getting on managers and players backs meaning neither club ever has any stability.

I think the impatience has been caused due to the choice of managers PDC was always a strange one, I hope Dick stays but failing that big Sam was the number 1 choice for many fans in the summer when it was unclear.

The players on the other hand on the whole dont seem to give a sheet and this is finally the year we go down although I do not think thats a bad thing as the Championship is a good league for us. I think you need to be careful what you wish for as the Premier league is not a lot of fun if you never compete season in season out

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
15k? you are deluded if you think Buckley is only on 15k. he was probably not far off that much when he was with us. And quite obviously we couldn't afford Vydra.

Just ignore him, he has a massive hard on for Buckley which is quite disturbing. I am surprised Buckley hasn't taken out a restraining order against him.

I think we could afford Vydra (wages wise) but weren't willing to meet Watford's ridiculous loan fee. I think someone said it was the equivalent of paying £60k a week for him.

Back on topic I'd be bloody delighted to see Sunderland relegated, just so I can laugh at the one Sunderland fan I know, he's a complete bell-end anyway so it's deserved.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Published figures. £15 K basic plus bonuses (not much). Poyet know what wages he was on at the Albion and gave him just that little bit more. Bonuses comprise a large amount of the incentive and he did not get much last season and none this season if he can't make the first 18. In the 25 squad as is Bridcutt.

NB: Mike Williamson at Newcastle is on £40K a week. Too much.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
I am so incredibly bored of Sunderland being completely crap year after year and staying up by the skin of their teeth. They offer absolutely nothing to the league in their current state and the sooner they have a spell in the second tier, the better.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Published figures. £15 K basic plus bonuses (not much). Poyet know what wages he was on at the Albion and gave him just that little bit more. Bonuses comprise a large amount of the incentive and he did not get much last season and none this season if he can't make the first 18. In the 25 squad as is Bridcutt.

NB: Mike Williamson at Newcastle is on £40K a week. Too much.

i am happy to be corrected but published where? which club publishes individual player wages?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
J
Published figures. £15 K basic plus bonuses (not much). Poyet know what wages he was on at the Albion and gave him just that little bit more.

Complete nonsense. Liam Bridcutt TRIPLED his wages when he made the same move.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
i am happy to be corrected but published where? which club publishes individual player wages?

Journalists research it from accounts etc. £15K is basic*. Substantial bonuses for performance which is especially important in Buckley's case. Even with bonus the journos say Buckley got less than £1 million last season.Sunderland were not that silly. I assume it is nought bonus right now. (I can't find the web page today.) Both Buckley and Bridcutt probably had the opportunity to nearly triple their Albion wages only if they played regularly and Sunderland stayed up and did well (seems unlikely right now). But they don't play at all. Bridcutt is not even on the bench any more.

(*This may even be too high. It could even be as low as £10K a week basic, Reference found says this.)

Sunderland are a bit stingy at playing players compared to Newcastle (now, not a few seasons ago). They also have a 40% reduction relegation clause. Trouble is even with fringe players on £15K a week, it is still too much for Championship clubs.

cf: Wickham got something like £1.3 million pa but he played most of the time. That's why Palace could afford him. Fletcher is on something like £2.2 million a year which why Sunderland can't get rid of him.

PS: for Championship clubs, promotion bonuses are excluded from FFP.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I am so incredibly bored of Sunderland being completely crap year after year and staying up by the skin of their teeth. They offer absolutely nothing to the league in their current state and the sooner they have a spell in the second tier, the better.

Quite. They no longer have Connor Wickham to save the worthless hides of their loser mercenary managers.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
The pity is that the north east was a great place for producing players. Almost every club had a north easterner on the books in the 60s and 70s. One of the odd side effects of the region's industrial decline was a marked decline in the local football talent. There are still some local players obviously but something drastic has happened which means that the football league awaits at least one of them very soon.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Journalists research it from accounts etc. £15K is basic*. Substantial bonuses for performance which is especially important in Buckley's case. Even with bonus the journos say Buckley got less than £1 million last season.Sunderland were not that silly. I assume it is nought bonus right now. (I can't find the web page today.) Both Buckley and Bridcutt probably had the opportunity to nearly triple their Albion wages only if they played regularly and Sunderland stayed up and did well (seems unlikely right now). But they don't play at all. Bridcutt is not even on the bench any more.

(*This may even be too high. It could even be as low as £10K a week basic, Reference found says this.)

Sunderland are a bit stingy at playing players compared to Newcastle (now, not a few seasons ago). They also have a 40% reduction relegation clause. Trouble is even with fringe players on £15K a week, it is still too much for Championship clubs.

cf: Wickham got something like £1.3 million pa but he played most of the time. That's why Palace could afford him. Fletcher is on something like £2.2 million a year which why Sunderland can't get rid of him.

PS: for Championship clubs, promotion bonuses are excluded from FFP.

So where is it published? That source is about as good as Enrest's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here