Apparently Phil Neville was offered the job in the Summer

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If he was, I think we were looking at the wrong Neville.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
From Twitter:

Phil Neville [MENTION=16974]fizzer[/MENTION]18 has just said on @bbc5live that he made his first cup of coffee ever a few days ago. It was instant.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
He's the kind of guy I am sure would make a shit manager.

Probably. Most successful managers were players who didn't win much / had careers that largely went unnoticed. Struggling to think of many who had similar careers to P Neville who went on to be great managers.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
That's like asking the Chuckle Brothers to run the FA.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 188
  • images1.jpg
    images1.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 190

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Probably. Most successful managers were players who didn't win much / had careers that largely went unnoticed. Struggling to think of many who had similar careers to P Neville who went on to be great managers.
As this old thread has been resurrected, this claim is often thrown around because some top players have been shit managers. However, Zidane, Ancelotti and Cruyff (RIP) have done OK. How accurate is it?

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
As this old thread has been resurrected, this claim is often thrown around because some top players have been shit managers. However, Zidane, Ancelotti and Cruyff (RIP) have done OK. How accurate is it?
As with most things there will be exceptions.

But I think it’s telling that the most highly rated managers coming through weren’t household names.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Pretty accurate with that crop of former Manure players, probably claiming they can get Alex trained decent cast offs by having the ear of their former club. I dont know how common that tactic is with former players but i bet it goes on.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I think there's a general truth (a generalisation in fact) that the most overtly talented sportsman tend to struggle with coaching and the "softer" side of captaincy, because they're less familiar with having to struggle to work through problems themselves and/or are so single minded that they don't relate to other people's problems as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports