Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom is to blame for the mess we are in....

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
We're agreed then, it's got to go.
'They' not 'it's'. The process is logical and I believe fit for purpose. It's the application of the process by the employees that has failed. Either that or the constraints placed on the process external to it, i.e. the budget given to it by the board, are too restrictive for it to be effective at this level.

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
Tony Bloom is good at poker and business but hasn't the foggiest when it comes to football. If he did then he wouldn't be losing millions season after season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tony Bloom is good at poker and business but hasn't the foggiest when it comes to football. If he did then he wouldn't be losing millions season after season.

That doesnt follow because most football loses money and it is down to how much the owner is prepared to continue losing to achieve success

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

Do you ever read or listen to anything about football? If you want to be a millionaire, then start with a billion and own a football club. Tony Bloom knows he will lose millions until we get a sniff at the Premier League. And if we ever get there, then every ****er on this board will be screaming for him to invest tens/hundreds of millions in new talent. Jesus H Christ.

Peter_Taylor

Dec 7, 2014
Storrington
Do you ever read or listen to anything about football? If you want to be a millionaire, then start with a billion and own a football club. Tony Bloom knows he will lose millions until we get a sniff at the Premier League. And if we ever get there, then every ****er on this board will be screaming for him to invest tens/hundreds of millions in new talent. Jesus H Christ.

Unfortunately, we are now getting a sniff of League 1. I think that he will need to spend BIG in January.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Unfortunately, we are now getting a sniff of League 1. I think that he will need to spend BIG in January.

We've just taken a £24 million striker on loan, and are paying him £xxxxx a week, so we are already spending quite a lot.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
'They' not 'it's'. The process is logical and I believe fit for purpose. It's the application of the process by the employees that has failed. Either that or the constraints placed on the process external to it, i.e. the budget given to it by the board, are too restrictive for it to be effective at this level.
No, the structure's wrong. The scouting set up should be lead by the manager, and responsible to him, not a separate part of the organisation. It's this system that IMHO was as much a factor for the discontent / departures of our last two managers as perceived lack of available funds, over-active egos, personal issues with Paul Barber, etc.

It's also the reason why good managers, the likes of Tony Pulis for example, won't come here.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It's done wonders for our results.

I was pretty impressed by the understanding between Colunga and Bent in the Fulham game and would have liked to have seen how that panned out against Derby if Colunga hadn't have had a brain freeze shortly after his ridiculous yellow for the free kick. Bent looks to be a good loan for us so far - service at Derby was dire. Of course, as things stand, we only have him for 3(?) more games...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, the structure is wrong. The scouting set-up should be manager lead, reporting directly to the manager, not in a separate part of the organisation. It was this structure, IMHO, that was a factor in the discontent / departure of our last two managers, just as significant as perceived lack of available funds, over-active ego, alleged personal issues with Paul Barber, etc.

It is because of this system that good managers, the like of Tony Pulis for instance, won't come here.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
No, the structure is wrong. The scouting set-up should be manager lead, reporting directly to the manager, not in a separate part of the organisation. It was this structure, IMHO, that was a factor in the discontent / departure of our last two managers, just as significant as perceived lack of available funds, over-active ego, alleged personal issues with Paul Barber, etc.

It is because of this system that good managers, the like of Tony Pulis for instance, won't come here.

then i refer you to my questions in post #259.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No, the structure is wrong. The scouting set-up should be manager lead, reporting directly to the manager, not in a separate part of the organisation.

So when a manager leaves and the next manager wants his own scouting team, the club have to pay-off all of the existing team and recruit another team?

Or do the scouting team remain in place from manager to manager, and he doesn't get to choose them?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
So when a manager leaves and the next manager wants his own scouting team, the club have to pay-off all of the existing team and recruit another team?

Or do the scouting team remain in place from manager to manager, and he doesn't get to choose them?

Interesting question. I guess if the incoming manager perceives there to be a successful scouting network in place, with a proven track record then he might accept it. Maybe reinforce it with one or two of his own trusted 'men'. However if he feels the network isn't serving the needs of the club, then he might fight for an overhaul. This could be a significant issue for managerial candidates to evaluate ahead of their application for the job and sell to the board at the selection stage.

As mentioned on another thread we now have a fabulous infrastructure, in terms of facilities. There can be no excuses on that front, so it is all about having the right people in place - and performing well.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I'd suggest that with a top of the range academy/training ground in place, then a permanent results-based top of the range scouting team needs to be in place to fill it with prospects of a high calibre. Hopefully in future that Burgess Hill kiddie who just signed for Hull will be signed up to the Albion very earlydoors and will be tied into a junior deal before the likes of Hull see and act on his potential when he's a bit older. No reason whatsoever why the Albion shouldn't have a fully geared up scouting team in place who are paid a retainer with big bonuses for successful referrals. IMHO, like.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

GT49er didn't say that. He said "The scouting set-up should be manager lead, reporting directly to the manager, not in a separate part of the organisation."

The way Bournemouth have done it with Eddie Howe is the right way to do it, but that only happens if the club has complete faith in a manager.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Not sack the entire scouting staff, no (unless they're all totally incompetent), but a new manager may want to appoint his own choice of a chief scout, same way as some will want to bring in their own assistant manager, first team coach, etc.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
GT49er didn't say that. He said "The scouting set-up should be manager lead, reporting directly to the manager, not in a separate part of the organisation."

My question stands. IN [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION]'s world the reporting line of the scouting network is though the manager. Let's accept that.

So, does each manager get to choose who makes up that scouting network or does he take what he's given? If it's the former, it could be expensive. If it's the latter, a number of managerial candidates could rule themselves out.

For example Paul Winstanley, who has just joined us, was in player recruitment job at Derby. Steve McLaren joined and wanted his own man to be doing the job. Derby were able to retain PW by giving him another position, but that may not always be the case - people may need to be laid off and that doesn't come cheap. Particularly if managers change frequently and they all want their own people.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here