Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's a sparse crowd here tonight . I'd say 16000 or less through the turnstile .

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I don't get this not taking kids to midweek games. I always went when I was younger & take my kids now. It's not like it's every week of the year is it

I do too but given that you're looking at them getting back at 11pm or later then some choose not to do so.
There's self evidently less kids on an Tuesday game than a Saturday game so obviously some choose to give evening games a miss perhaps for the kids reason. But not everyone.
And yep I agree. I loved evening games at the Goldstone when i was 8/9/10/11 etc and i've taken my youngest to the Amex over the last few seasons at similar ages.
Tough getting them up the next morning though !!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think we also suffer from having a high number of commuters in our support. It is a ballache getting back from London in time for the game, knowing by the time you get home you'll have 6 or 7 hours before you have to get back on the train to work. Easier to swallow when the team is doing well, when it's pissing it down and the team is crap it's only human nature to think of binning it off.

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
I don't get this not taking kids to midweek games. I always went when I was younger & take my kids now. It's not like it's every week of the year is it

The other challenge is change to work patterns. More people now travel further and work longer hours. I'd take my 9 year old and he's desperate to go all games, but I can't get from Gatwick to Worthing and then back to the Amex for kick off. Sounds mad I know, but those journeys would take over three hours on a midweek evening. Guess same applies to anyone working in London - you have to head straight to the Amex from work if you knock off any later than 5.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why is it funny that our mid-week attendances are on the slide?

It's not funny in the slightest, finance-wise. On the other hand, it's pretty damn hilarious when the club announce with a straight face an 'attendance' of 23K when the ground is very nearly half-empty. They lose all credibility at that point, and, yes, people do openly mock them for it. And quite rightly so. They really need to stop announcing it as 'attendance' because it clearly isn't. They need another word. We've got one on here that is spot on, but it's not one the club could use. They need to think up their own word.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Well, for starters, 66.6% of my three tickets are kids. Neither were there on Tuesday, and there is scarcely a more committed Albion fan to be found, than my oldest. It was simply not POSSIBLE to get him there after college (in Winchester) and nor was it acceptable to get him home at midnight for a 6.30 start on Wednesday.

Of course if the team were flying up at the top of the table, there is a chance that tickets like these would get upgraded for keen mates, etc.

Blimey, what a small world. 2 of my 3 ST's are kids and my oldest is also at college in Winchester, and he gets up at 6.30am to get the 7am bus. I usually take my parents to evening games but they didn't fancy it this week.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I would not take my daughter to midweek game on a school week, I dont normally get back to Reading until nearly 1am. Saying that when I go, which has been every game for the last three seasons, apart from this Tuesday I get someone to use her seat. I did not go on Tuesday because I only got back to work after a week off and could not get away early enough especially with the road works on the m23 to have any chance of getting there.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Blimey, what a small world. 2 of my 3 ST's are kids and my oldest is also at college in Winchester, and he gets up at 6.30am to get the 7am bus. I usually take my parents to evening games but they didn't fancy it this week.
I went to that sixth form college as a kid. I believe [MENTION=118]Hiney[/MENTION] 's lad went there too.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I went to that sixth form college as a kid. I believe [MENTION=118]Hiney[/MENTION] 's lad went there too.

Peter Simmonds? Yes, yes he did. Brilliant 6th Form College.

I have taken my younger two to evening games, but the post-midnight home arrival is not good for them, or the rest of the family for that matter.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
This could swell the crowd and confuse the prerttendance figures. Squeeze a few like this fella through the turnstiles..........
2199i89.png

I'm the right side, i'm the right side, i'm the right side Brighton boy..........

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
It's not funny in the slightest, finance-wise. On the other hand, it's pretty damn hilarious when the club announce with a straight face an 'attendance' of 23K when the ground is very nearly half-empty. They lose all credibility at that point, and, yes, people do openly mock them for it. And quite rightly so. They really need to stop announcing it as 'attendance' because it clearly isn't. They need another word. We've got one on here that is spot on, but it's not one the club could use. They need to think up their own word.

Good grief! Give it a rest, you're like a cracked record. How many times have you made this point? (and not just on this thread)

See post #153

Jan 30, 2008
Far to many flimsy excuses being rolled out in this thread ,why not be up front and say you didn't fancy it due to crap performances, rubbish atmosphere just not interested in the Albion ???
regards
DR

el punal

Looks reasonable from that picture...Doesn't the west stand alone hold 15k ish?
Such ashame the south stand is always empty

Reckon 19k:)
West Stand holds just under 12,000, maybe a bit more with the "wings". I'm pleased to say I woz there, although it's a pain in the arse driving from Southampton and back. All for the love of the Albion! :love:

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Good grief! Give it a rest, you're like a cracked record. How many times have you made this point? (and not just on this thread)

See post #153
I guess he'll stop going on about it when the point stops being raised?:shrug: I've had to repeat myself because two people asked exactly the same question.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
I think we also suffer from having a high number of commuters in our support. It is a ballache getting back from London in time for the game, knowing by the time you get home you'll have 6 or 7 hours before you have to get back on the train to work. Easier to swallow when the team is doing well, when it's pissing it down and the team is crap it's only human nature to think of binning it off.
I fall in to this category and can understand why people might opt out if they are getting home late (I get back home in Seaford at 11pm) don't get to see the other half and kids etc..

But its only 5 or 6 times a season and I like wrapping up warm and going to football in the evening so haven't missed one yet.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here