Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Flumes King Alfred.

spunkmonkey

Jul 11, 2005
Eastbourne
The Megazone and the bowling alleys underneath were a fond memory of being a kid, never have enjoyed the bowlplex I always used to enjoy the spit and sawdust of the place and adding your own scores up. Plus I dont remember there being as many chavs around acting like dickheads.

They are still there covered in dust, they just locked the doors.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
There was an urban myth that there were razor blades placed in at least one of them. Scary stuff for a youngster!

It was people putting screws in from the prom outside that finally shut them for good.

They were demolished about 3/4 years ago now, the pool is still there but full of rubble rather than water and a decent hanging out spot for the local homeless.

The magazine and bowling are also still there and there are even some of the pins still standing at the end of the lanes... Very spooky.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It was people putting screws in from the prom outside that finally shut them for good.

They were demolished about 3/4 years ago now, the pool is still there but full of rubble rather than water and a decent hanging out spot for the local homeless.

The magazine and bowling are also still there and there are even some of the pins still standing at the end of the lanes... Very spooky.

Yikes.

Is one able to visit the bowling alley? I'd love to take some pictures of it. Urban Exploration interests me.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
There was an urban myth that there were razor blades placed in at least one of them. Scary stuff for a youngster!

I heard that one too.I lapped it up as well lol.the other myth was the Mayor of Brighton opened it and got his gold merdalon chain thing stuck lol

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
All I can remember from mega zone was that every time I went in to play my pack would never work.
Not fond memories.
Do not remember the bowling alley.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yikes.

Is one able to visit the bowling alley? I'd love to take some pictures of it. Urban Exploration interests me.

This is what it looked like two years ago;

bowlingalley.JPG

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Used to love the flumes. Also used to love hot shots for a few games of pool and bowling in the dark and jumping jacks for some underage drinking. A place like that now would be rammed.

Drpepper

Nov 23, 2011
Sussex
Seem to remember being able to be allowed to go head first on the mats down the flumes, that would never be allowed now. I know there is a really good water park in dorset cant remember the name though

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Loved the flumes, my old man used to take me and my brother plus all the other kids from the street. I remember them so clearly, I used to jump full speed into the blue one for maximum speed off the initial drop. The black hole was amazing, the yellow one was for girls. Such a shame they are gone, I'd happily go on them right now 😊

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Twister (yellow), the Aquajet (blue) and the black hole (black).

Why don't these exist anywhere anymore. They were awesome! I want to take my kids but can't find any.
You need to bite the bullet and head for Bognor Butlins.
In fairness their water park is very good, it's just everything else that's the problem.

There's 3 or 4 flumes, the main one has a massive bowl at the end.
The theory is, and I successfully proved it, that you spin round like a roulette ball before gravity spits you out of the base.
Alternatively if you catch it wrong or don't have the weight to pin you to the sides you go straight through and plunge straight into the pool at warp factor 6.

Don't discount the yellow flume.
Those are the ones you can pick up proper speed.
If you push your heels and shoulders down into tube, and have them as your only contact point, you go like pooh off a shiny shovel. With the added bonus of maiming a small child or 2 on the way.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
The Black Hole was the transition from boy to man.

Aint that the truth :thumbsup:

Being brought up in Haywards Heath, a twice yearly trip to the flumes early to mid 80s was a real highlight. The Black Hole was awesome!!

Nowadays, some of the rides they have at water parks in European holiday destinations make the King Alfred flumes look like rides for 4 year olds, but at the time they were FANTASTIC

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
You need to bite the bullet and head for Bognor Butlins.
In fairness their water park is very good, it's just everything else that's the problem.

There's 3 or 4 flumes, the main one has a massive bowl at the end.
The theory is, and I successfully proved it, that you spin round like a roulette ball before gravity spits you out of the base.
Alternatively if you catch it wrong or don't have the weight to pin you to the sides you go straight through and plunge straight into the pool at warp factor 6.

Ah yes, the Space Bowl, great fun!

Loved the KA, great memories - walking upside down in the water with your feet on the underside of the bridge by the main slide, jumping over the mound in the shallow bit and never managing to avoid anyone - a cone of hot chips and a sugar cube or three after in the cafe upstairs after!

Also remember bowling alleys next door, totting up your own scores on the OHP like thing, happy days!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here