Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

world cup final: what channel?

what channel will you be watching it on?

• BBC

Votes: 236 97.9%
  • ITV

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And here was the same poll 4 years ago:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...channel-will-you-watch-the-World-Cup-Final-on

115-3 :lolol:

I think ITV are to be congratulated for not actually being noticeably worse this time round. Sure, their product is as shìt as it ever was, but the BBC has actually got far better by replacing clapped out John Motson (and pompous Barry Davies?) with Guy Mowbray and Simon Brotherton, both of whom are top drawer.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
And here was the same poll 4 years ago:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...channel-will-you-watch-the-World-Cup-Final-on

115-3 :lolol:

I think ITV are to be congratulated for not actually being noticeably worse this time round. Sure, their product is as shìt as it ever was, but the BBC has actually got far better by replacing clapped out John Motson (and pompous Barry Davies?) with Guy Mowbray and Simon Brotherton, both of whom are top drawer.

But they still have Johnathan Pearce. He is still shouting like he is doing commentary on some robot made by some sad geek which is just about to break down. Likewise, he has made some huge blunders, the goal that wasn't and the '3 yards offside' comment when he was actually on. Lets also not forget his sidekick, Mark 'Pass the Laughing Gas' Lawro. What a pair of cocks.

That said, only the hard of hearing will be watching on ITV which isn't an endoresement for Shearer, Savage and co. Simply ITV is barely conference level, BBC still has a load of League 1 and below performers if could get rid of.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
There are so many appalling personalities on ITV.

What the fck is Fabio Cannavaro doing on there? What a random choice of pundit! He makes no sense whatsoever and doesn't seem to be saying anything particularly insightful when you can interpret his murmerings. Did they not screen test him!?

Townsend and Tyldesley has been done to death, but what a couple of thundercnts.

O'Neill is just becoming a parody of himself in playing the objectionable old b@stard in p1ss stained trousers in the corner.

Why does Chiles have to just be so miserable, he's clearly told to play on it, and a bit of irony or self deprecation is fine, but not all the fcking time.

I do like Hoddle, as he generally offers some clear tactical insight, though he does have the cut of a man who might one day go mental with a machine gun at the FA HQ as revenge for his sacking as England manager.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
i can only assume that NSC has 2 jokers who do not know was being funny actually is. Or 2 people whose tele does not pick up BBC (or the button is broken). Or a mixture of the 2.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There was a time when my channel selection was based on which channel was more "lucky"; for me, England always seemed to do better with Brian Moore commentating on ITV than Motson or Davies on the BBC. However, that isn't an issue any more as England have been consistently shitehouse regardless since 2006.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
There are so many appalling personalities on ITV.

What the fck is Fabio Cannavaro doing on there? What a random choice of pundit! He makes no sense whatsoever and doesn't seem to be saying anything particularly insightful when you can interpret his murmerings. Did they not screen test him!?

Townsend and Tyldesley has been done to death, but what a couple of thundercnts.

O'Neill is just becoming a parody of himself in playing the objectionable old b@stard in p1ss stained trousers in the corner.

Why does Chiles have to just be so miserable, he's clearly told to play on it, and a bit of irony or self deprecation is fine, but not all the fcking time.

I do like Hoddle, as he generally offers some clear tactical insight, though he does have the cut of a man who might one day go mental with a machine gun at the FA HQ as revenge for his sacking as England manager.

I actually don't mind Lee Dixon. Speaks a fair bit of sense. Still no reason to watch the final on ITV though. Aunty Beeb all the way for me.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
ITV for me

I love that intro! gets me singing along and generally gets me in the mood for some soccer action.

The ad breaks are so welcome, just long enough to calm down from the edge of the seat excitement and make a nice pot of mint tea ready for the return.

Also, you would need to go a long way to match the expert punditry of Fabio Cannavaro, so why would anyone choose otherwise?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Mike Ingham is retiring from commentary after this World Cup.

An excellent commentator, paints verbal pictures beautifully, and presents a fair description of what he is seeing. The biggest drawback to Mike Ingham's career is how, after years of sitting next to Alan Green, he stubbornly resisted the temptation to give him a ruddy good bunch of fives.

Who knows - maybe that will be his final on-air party piece...?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
3 now

:nono:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Some more excellent points there [MENTION=17261]Iggle Piggle[/MENTION], and I agree with every word. But as [MENTION=7086]Greavsey[/MENTION] points out, it's the sheer quantity of pìss poor punditry on show at ITV that makes them so unwatchable. Hoddle is literally the only one who is palatable.

And Cannavaro can barely speak English, which makes him only slightly better than Andy Townsend and his pub-bore level of "analysis".

The people at EA Sports must be delighted with their ability of securing Townsend and Tyldesley for FIFA 14. The commentary is necessarily a series of bland clichéd nonsense that fits any passage of play. It's actually incredibly realistic.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The people at EA Sports must be delighted with their ability of securing Townsend and Tyldesley for FIFA 14. The commentary is necessarily a series of bland clichéd nonsense that fits any passage of play. It's actually incredibly realistic.

Sane people don't even choose those two tools for that. My kids have changed the commentary to Martin Tyler (its 'easy' apparently :shrug: )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here