[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I took part in my first organised ride on Sunday, the British Heart Foundation Cotswold ride, 40 miles starting and finishing at Cheltenham racecourse, and I loved it. I think I've progressed another step on the ladder in the cycling addiction stakes.

However, one thing that has put me off doing longer rides is my inability to come up with decent routes, and a rather risk averse nature which means I'm not brave enough to plan routes which take me miles from home (at least, not without the ability to carry out emergency repairs). To counter this, I've bought a saddle bag (to store spare inner tubes, tools, puncture repair kit etc.) and a GPS unit.

The GPS unit I've gone for is the Mio Cyclo 305, which is on offer on Sport Pursuit at £169. Does anyone have any experience of these? I've done quite a bit of reading and it seems that it's broadly similar to the Garmin 810, except that it's (at this price) about £200 cheaper. There is a higher model Cyclo 505, but as far as I've been able to work out the only difference is that it's got wifi (so it automatically uploads rides and downloads gpx files that you upload via pc), and it's £50 more expensive (and is only UK maps, not western Europe, not that it makes much difference to me). I wanted something that would give me turn by turn directions, and I also like the idea of being able to ask it to suggest some routes (could make the morning commute a bit more interesting). Have I made a horrible mistake? My order is still processing at the moment (not being dispatched for a couple of weeks, as is the Sport Pursuit way) so I can cancel if so.

On a final (unrelated) note, had my first tumble this morning since taking up 'proper' cycling. Took a corner too fast (not that fast!) in the wet and came off, only minor scrapes thankfully. Strava makes that just shy of 1600 miles before cycling, which, as an uncordinated overweight man, I'm pretty proud of. It's certainly a lot further than I thought I'd make it!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've never heard of Mio cyclo so can't comment.

Garmin is very much the market leader, and is priced accordingly, but it's a price most eventually pay.

I wouldn't worry too much riding uncharted territory.
I discovered a fair few routes by being more attentive driving, and mixing up regular drives.

Treating the other Stens to a nice country pub lunch on a sunny Sunday is an ideal way to plot your route for subsequent rides.
'Nah lets go the scenic way home', 'oh I wonder where this road leads'.

They'll get wise eventually, but at least you're mapping the area without stressing about the bike.

Does that mean you've done 1600 miles without a major mechanical and yet you don't trust the bike.
Tough task master!!

Thanks [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]. At the moment I definitely can't justify a Garmin 810 (the sat nav version) in terms of expense, which is why I looked in to alternatives (that, and they were the first thing to pop up when I went on to Sport Pursuit!).

I understand what you are saying about routes, and it's definitely something I'll do. I think one of the major reasons that I enjoyed Sunday's ride was because I didn't have to think at all about where I was going (as I was just following the signs), and that's a feeling that I'm keen to replicate through using turn-by-turn navigation.

I think it was a combination of fear of mechanical failure and fear of user error (e.g. falling off, or just running out of steam, miles away from home). The ride at the weekend has given me confidence that I can do longer distances, and some moderate hills, and I'm signing up for a couple more organised rides (at 60 miles) as well. I'm sure by the time I've done those as well I'll be much more confident.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I took part in my first organised ride on Sunday, the British Heart Foundation Cotswold ride, 40 miles starting and finishing at Cheltenham racecourse, and I loved it. I think I've progressed another step on the ladder in the cycling addiction stakes.

However, one thing that has put me off doing longer rides is my inability to come up with decent routes, and a rather risk averse nature which means I'm not brave enough to plan routes which take me miles from home (at least, not without the ability to carry out emergency repairs). To counter this, I've bought a saddle bag (to store spare inner tubes, tools, puncture repair kit etc.) and a GPS unit.

The GPS unit I've gone for is the Mio Cyclo 305, which is on offer on Sport Pursuit at £169. Does anyone have any experience of these? I've done quite a bit of reading and it seems that it's broadly similar to the Garmin 810, except that it's (at this price) about £200 cheaper. There is a higher model Cyclo 505, but as far as I've been able to work out the only difference is that it's got wifi (so it automatically uploads rides and downloads gpx files that you upload via pc), and it's £50 more expensive (and is only UK maps, not western Europe, not that it makes much difference to me). I wanted something that would give me turn by turn directions, and I also like the idea of being able to ask it to suggest some routes (could make the morning commute a bit more interesting). Have I made a horrible mistake? My order is still processing at the moment (not being dispatched for a couple of weeks, as is the Sport Pursuit way) so I can cancel if so.

On a final (unrelated) note, had my first tumble this morning since taking up 'proper' cycling. Took a corner too fast (not that fast!) in the wet and came off, only minor scrapes thankfully. Strava makes that just shy of 1600 miles before cycling, which, as an uncordinated overweight man, I'm pretty proud of. It's certainly a lot further than I thought I'd make it!

Well done with that ride in 'nam

As to new routes, I'm still 'exploring'. Reckon I know every road in a pretty wide radius from home now. Still looking for new climbs. Enjoy, the lanes. I get your worry about being far from home. I cack myself at the thought of a mechanical 20 miles out and having to call the Mrs.

Fair play for going out in the wet. Hate it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Poor old Nizzolo just can't seem to beat Bouhanni to the line. I'm a fan of Bouhanni I have to say, but I'd quite like Nizzolo to take a well deserved stage win in this Giro rather than finish it with a hat full of 2nd places.

What are we saying for tomorrow? Looks very good for the break to succeed again, but then again I could see a 2nd tier GC'er try to grab a bit of time and a consolation stage win from a late attack.

I've spread my betting options among three Team Colombia riders and also sneaked a 50p e/w on De Gendt @100/1 too - just because it's the Giro and he's done bugger all so far this season. He finished way down today too, which either means he really is in poor shape (no idea on his crash history) or he's taking it easy for tomorrows big effort.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It should be a breakaway.
It ought to be one of the smaller Italian teams, but I think they'll get out muscled by a Lotto/Astana type rider.

With that in mind, I'll go for old favourite Lars Bak.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It should be a breakaway.
It ought to be one of the smaller Italian teams, but I think they'll get out muscled by a Lotto/Astana type rider.

With that in mind, I'll go for old favourite Lars Bak.

40/1 on PP, 66/1 on WH. Backing him?

For some odd reason nearly all WH's odds are quite a bit better than PP for this particular stage. Usually it's the other way around for every race.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok 3 potential bets for today, which being a breakaway day must be the stooopidest day to bet, of the year.

Eddie B-H, he's the favourite and its easy to see why, he's riding well and Sky could get nothing from the entire Giro.
Won't win from a breakaway, the others won't want to tow him to the line.

Bak - in hindsight his MO in recent years has been to make the break but not bring it home.
Usually an odd attack to far out, does for Lars.

Zoidl - my big priced outsider choice.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it me or is this Giro getting harder to love, by the day?

I know it'll be a different race next week, but it's gonna be hard to get their in one piece, me & the riders.
Something has to be wrong if we're eagerly anticipating an ITT.

I just found myself watching the last 20kms on FF as I just wasn't invested in it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Is it me or is this Giro getting harder to love, by the day?

I know it'll be a different race next week, but it's gonna be hard to get their in one piece, me & the riders.
Something has to be wrong if we're eagerly anticipating an ITT.

I just found myself watching the last 20kms on FF as I just wasn't invested in it.

I would have watched all of todays stage if I could have, interest is still there for me. As it was I couldn't find any highlights longer than last 12k earlier as I was so keen to know what happened that I forgot eurosport have a highlights show later. I will watch that too.

Really looking forward to watching everything over the weekend again. Tomorrow will reveal plenty, but this is shaping up to be a wide open GC battle. As each day passes I get a sneaking feeling that Quintana might not be as nailed on as we all thought you know, but we'll see.

Btw, Chalapud was my highest placed bet today, which just goes to show how rubbish my bets were. I"m still confused as to whether Rubiano finished 100th on the stage or threw his toys out of the pram and protested with a DNS.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do still believe the GC is a lot more open than the times suggest.
But the race is so back end heavy there's next to nothing for the GC'ers to race for, and we've still got another week before the sparks fly.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Huge from Uran. It looks like his to lose now. He just has too much time on the climbers, and he will gain more in the mountains on Evans.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hello geeks.

I usually stay away from here as your all confuse me with your cyclegeekness, but I thought I'd drop in.

As some will know, I do a fair bit of work at various velodromes, but despite knocking about the places, I'd never actually had a ride, until a couple of weeks ago. I was at a short conference at the UCI World Cycle Centre at Aigle, and they laid on a flying lap competition for us.

Given that it was the first time in almost a year I'd sat on any kind of bike, and the first time ever riding a fixed gear bike / a bike with no brakes / having my feet clipped into the pedals, I was quite pleased with 2nd place (of 25), with a lap time of 16.052.

The guy who beat me (by 0.2 secs) was my Dutch counterpart (no surprise there) and in my defence he's 17 years younger than I am!

First prize was a £350 Tissot watch, so whilst I was quite pleased with my efforts, a bit gutting all the same...

I must be very clear, that it is the wind blowing into my shirt that gives the FALSE impression that I am a bit FAT :jester:

Attachments

• _DAN2926.jpg
    _DAN2926.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports