Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom speaks...

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I think it is also a bit indicative that Oscar alone has left. Even the Spanish coaches remain with the club. Perhaps Jones is as much the architect of the top 6 finish !!! Not sure that is a healthy thought on this site.

I would be surprised if any coaches leave before they have got another position, with Oscar or not. And at the moment it's virtually money for nothing isn't it ?

"Oscar liked to delegate..."

I heard he didn't coach players directly, and barely spoke to some of them from one week to the next. Shocking, really.

Poor Old Oscar. Loved by all the fans one minute, and as soon as he's out the door, the trashing starts. Anyone would think there's a deliberate campaign going to change fan perceptions? Surely not! :)

I'm pleased Oscar has gone but the PR "anti" campaign is hilarious

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I will probably get slammed for this but;

I didn’t warm to the interview tbh and he sort of shifted all the blame onto Oscar instead of accepting that some bad decisions were made by the club at key moments.

It could be debated that the club should have gone an extra yard with Grabban and Conway and it had a massive knock on effect by missing out. For starters we may have won a playoff place weeks before the end of the season, thus giving Upson and Greer a few games off to recover as Greer was also carrying an injury in the Derby game. We may not have won promotion but we could have got to Wembley, and once you are there anything can happen.

Getting Conway on loan would not have been a massive commitment for a few months and we are seeing now that Cardiff have offered £3m for Grabban, so it would have still been very good business even if we sold him. There is nothing wrong with making wrong decisions but they were sliding door moments which didn’t give Oscar any confidence, and left him with more questions than answers about what we really wanted. Both of these players had storming ends to their season.

Oscar was brought here because he is quiet and not media hungry, exactly what Bloom needed last year so he cannot have it both ways.

Still, it’s his club, money and decisions but nobody is perfect, I just wish he had accepted that the club played a part in Oscar wanting to leave as it would have felt more honest.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I heard he didn't coach players directly, and barely spoke to some of them from one week to the next. Shocking, really.

Strange, isn't it, that after the evil, discredited Gus Poyet left there were all sorts of stories about how much more the players enjoyed Oscar's sessions.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Poor Old Oscar. Loved by all the fans one minute, and as soon as he's out the door, the trashing starts. Anyone would think there's a deliberate campaign going to change fan perceptions? Surely not! :)
I

I'll go on record as saying I'm still disappointed he left and for whatever reason he was NOT backed in the transfer market. I'd like to hear a full interview in the same ilk as the one TB has made but with Oscar. It could be interesting, he may of course have been gagged in the settlement reached.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Was Naylor's piece an interview?

I suspect it was largely based on information provided to him.by Oscar either directly or indirectly. If the former (and I would think it was) then it's an interview, yes. If it was thereafter then it's much the same way as a lot of.comment yesterday was either directly or indirectly from club employees

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

I heard that back in November, and that the board were not too happy, but i thought it was just B.S....

Makes sense if true back then, why with poor results around that time they did not vigorously chase all his targets.

Maybe

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
I would imagine a home grown centre back is most delighted Oscar has gone.

Close to leaving for Wolves earlier in the season.

TB

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

I don't think you'll find Oscar had universal support by any stretch of the imagination, as various threads at various points of the season have demonstrated.

Personally I was frustrated (and bored) much of the time but I felt the time to criticise would be at the end of the season. And hey - it's the end of the season. We under-achieved and our perception of Oscar as a dour introvert who failed to inspire his players seems to have been borne out by the play-off capitulation and by the chairman himself.

By the way it's a bit rich to accuse Tony of a PR campaign. Give the guy a break. He's answering questions honestly, which I thought we all wanted.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The FFP comment is the big news from that. A vote on it in 10 days, could it be scrapped?

They will have to change the amount clubs can lose without sanctions being imposed in view of the increased parachute payments. I can also see the Football League bottling it and granting an amnesty for any club which has overspent in the 2013/2014 season to avoid any legal challenges.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
OK, I'll try asking you - what in the Bloom interview has shown there were factual innaccuracies in the Naylor piece?

Naylor
When he was appointed last summer he felt he had little option other than to go with signings that had already been made, or were in the process of being made, because the squad was down in numbers.

He gave the club a list of potential signings from Spain and abroad when he took the job. None of them were delivered.

Bloom interview

Interviewer "Some suggestions he was unhappy with certain aspects.....to do with recruitment"

TB "He wanted certain players but he didn't communicate what he wanted and things would change....."

(not in the interview but I've heard not re-signing Conway was a good example of this btw)

TB "Rodriguez was one of Oscars MAIN Targets."

Interviewer "It's been suggested Oscar had his own list of players that you were unable to get"

TB "Yeah, that's not true at all."

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Maybe it was Oscar neither being in his office nor answering his phone on transfer deadline day.

That would be "difficult to communicate with" I imagine.

As someone else wrote, that's much bigger than difficult to communicate. It also calls into question the end of season praise. Surely it would've been better to say nothing knowing he was likely to go and/or the board probably wanting him gone.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I thought all Spaniards were comedic slapstick types with big hats and colourful costumes who drink wine out of a teapot thing with a long spout held at arms length.

And we get a reclusive bore with a big chin.

Tsk.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
They will have to change the amount clubs can lose without sanctions being imposed in view of the increased parachute payments. I can also see the Football League bottling it and granting an amnesty for any club which has overspent in the 2013/2014 season to avoid any legal challenges.

Yeah, I wonder if they'll let those clubs without parachute money have a larger allowed loss.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Good interview from Tony.

The only thing I am now unclear on is that it was reported that the club had asked Oscar to sleep on his resignation, and that they had a meeting after this to persuade him to stay.

Is this all true ? ???

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Strange, isn't it, that after the evil, discredited Gus Poyet left there were all sorts of stories about how much more the players enjoyed Oscar's sessions.

It's almost as if even stories leaking out through various "sources" are being used to spin things and shouldn't automatically be treated as fact, just because it's supposedly illicit inside information.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
NSC does make me laugh.

The facts are he has recruited two managers who have taken us into the Championship play offs, both therefore very successful. This suggests he knows what he is doing in recruiting a manager. What concerns me though is both managers, admitedly in different ways and styles, have then said I'm off. This suggests that Bloom isn't very good at keeping managers. The facts say this.

Agree with this 100% Why didn't Oscar think " oh well we came close but with all the injuries and transfer targets we failed to achieve we still came close.....cannot wait for another crack at it next year"

Having said this Bloom will get the "right" manager one day!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here