Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Stadium plans for Whitehawk...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Having thought about it, presumably it's because there is no city of Brighton, only a city of Brighton & Hove. That must be it.

Not sure I like that though. In all honesty- and I really don't have anything against them, per se- I just wouldn't have any interest at all in going and watching them. Someone like Lewes, if they got it together and made it into the League, there is the slightest chance that I'd consider popping along to a game if the Albion weren't playing, just to see what it was like. But Whitehawk? No. There is just nothing that appeals about it, even if they somehow ended up in League Two.

In comparison to Lewes FC, it's also a sod to get to for many, if not most - something the Albion spent hundreds of thousands of pounds telling the government (and Lewes District Council) ad infinitum a few years ago.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In comparison to Lewes FC, it's also a sod to get to for many, if not most - something the Albion spent hundreds of thousands of pounds telling the government (and Lewes District Council) ad infinitum a few years ago.

I must say, it would amuse me slightly if the local council granted permission for a stadium development there, albeit a very small one, given all the shenanigans the Albion encountered when investigating Sheepcote Valley as a possibility.

Just can't see it being ideal, to be honest, with the best will in the world, the entrance to East Brighton park is a pain in the arse on any Saturday afternoon, with all the park teams playing down there. There's no station for several miles, and while the area is very well served by buses, I just don't see people bussing in from all over the city to watch Whitehawk.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
None of what you argue there is against what they are doing though surely? Why isn't developing their ground showing ambition in gradual steps? They have done well on the pitch in recent times but clearly their infrastructure is no good from both a practical and marketing perspective. Gradual step one - spending on the team and getting them promoted three leagues gradual step two, sorting out their infrastructure.

You saw these I take it?

4608156475.jpg

and not only a new stadium, a new training ground which would probably put a lot of league clubs to shame...

4608156467.jpg

I'm with you, sort out their infrastructure. But honestly, a decent stand and a couple of covered terraced ends would probably do wouldn't it, at least until their crowds break 400!

You saw these I take it?

4608156475.jpg

and not only a new stadium, a new training ground which would probably put a lot of league clubs to shame...

4608156467.jpg

I'm with you, sort out their infrastructure. But honestly, a decent stand and a couple of covered terraced ends would probably do wouldn't it, at least until their crowds break 400!

But arguably that would be a fail from a marketing perspective? They will get some decent crowds if they deliver those facilities, I don't think the message that they are merely tarting up their current facilties with a new stand would really break them out of their current low level of perception by football fans in the city.

Now of course do the owners have the money to deliver such an ambitious scheme? Who knows but it will fun to watch

patcham seagulls

Jul 9, 2003
patcham
Personally with participation in structured football declining, and obesity growing annually, any investment in sussex football facilities should be welcomed.

I do feel whitehawk will struggle to increase their fan base and make the club financially viable, but if ksd group want to plough money in, good luck to them.

Regarding being the alternative/second team.

Lewes currently also have plans to develop part of their ground, (check their website) and with a fan ownership now fully in place after the financial difficulties of previous years.

Any fan looking to escape the pressures and financial demands of supporting a top end prem or championship club, would probably enjoy visiting the pan!

timseagull

Oct 12, 2003
Mile Oak
Personally with participation in structured football declining, and obesity growing annually, any investment in sussex football facilities should be welcomed.

I do feel whitehawk will struggle to increase their fan base and make the club financially viable, but if ksd group want to plough money in, good luck to them.

Regarding being the alternative/second team.

Lewes currently also have plans to develop part of their ground, (check their website) and with a fan ownership now fully in place after the financial difficulties of previous years.

Any fan looking to escape the pressures and financial demands of supporting a top end prem or championship club, would probably enjoy visiting the pan!

Lewes are installing beach huts as corporate boxes....? ??????

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm sure I read an article once that said "build it and they will come", but I can't remember if the article was about football clubs or brothels.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Should get planning permission. In 15 to 20 years I the fans work very very hard.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
This! Especially if they become Brighton and Hove City, they will be my second team. Although I have a soft spot for all Sussex teams... Lewes, Eastbourne even Crawley.... but a Brighton specific non-league team is amazing.

Brighton 'til I die! Good old Sussex by the Sea!

This back at you! I want all Sussex teams to do well and with Albion and Crawley in the professional leagues and teams like Lewes, Bognor, Horsham, Eastbourne, Worthing and Whitehawk doing well by their standards, I am not sure Sussex football has had it so good in a national context

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Looks abit to palacey for my liking but how the hell is that the p*lace crest? Bird on ball is pretty common, y'know.
See post 12. They're practically the same. But as has been pointed out, it's not a Palace crest, it's the Whitehawk crest. Palace's came years later.

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
I know it's not FFS. I pointed that out 'but how the hell is that the p*lace crest' but it looks similar but it's not the same okay?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Brighton and Hove City ???

- Get lost, Whitehawk really has nothing to do with Hove.

Brighton City ???

- Stupid. Brighton without Hove is not a city.

Why can they not be Brighton United, or East Brighton FC, or even Brighton Whitehawk ???

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Brighton and Hove City ???

- Get lost, Whitehawk really has nothing to do with Hove.

Brighton City ???

- Stupid. Brighton without Hove is not a city.

Why can they not be Brighton United, or East Brighton FC, or even Brighton Whitehawk ???

Agreed with the Hove stuff. They have no connection with Hove whatsoever. If Brighton City was rejected last year as potentially confusing, then Brighton and Hove City should be dumped as well!

East Brighton Hawks would work. A more geographically prominent name, yet still identifying with their roots.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don't think their roots are particularly important, considering they have no fans.

It is obvious the idea is to represent the city of Brighton and Hove, partly to attract fans from outside of East Brighton like myself, but perhaps because they don't plan to stay located there (at one point they were hoping to play at Withdean)

It's ironic considering the Albion's new ground is in a village called Falmer, rather than the city itself, so we shouldn't be so pedantic to say that the Hawks have "nothing to do with Hove" considering their ground is based in Brighton & Hove and ours isn't.

Eh? The Amex is within the Brighton and Hove boundary.

The albion have played at grounds in both Brighton and Hove.

Whitehawk have nothing to do with Hove, so unless they merge with a Hove club, then what right have they to take the name ? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here