Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephen Ward - **UPDATE@14:00: signs on season-long loan**

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
If this is true I would be very happy with that. Despite Wolves having a disaster of a season last year they still have some very good players they probably cannot afford. I would not mind having that Bacary Sako from them either. Who on earth are people expecting to sign as a left back then? No pleasing some people

Agreed - despite Wolves being absolutely awful in general, Sako was excellent for them last season. Think he'd fit it very well with the way we play and would give us a decent left-sided attacking option. Mind you, he was linked with a £4m move away from there last month (Fulham and Forest were interested), so surely he'd be out of our price range.

As for Ward, he may not be Wayne Bridge but he is an experienced full-back that likes to get forward, and could be just what we need for this season anyway until we get someone more permanent.

The first thing that sprung to my mind when his name was mentioned was how he was widely acknowledged as the worst player in the Euro 2012 tournament (including in this Guardian poll: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/jun/20/euro-2012-readers-player-ratings), but then again he won't be dealing with a Torres, David Silva, Balotelli or Mandzukic at this level every week.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Stephen Ward

Agreed - despite Wolves being absolutely awful in general, Sako was excellent for them last season. Think he'd fit it very well with the way we play and would give us a decent left-sided attacking option. Mind you, he was linked with a £4m move away from there last month (Fulham and Forest were interested), so surely he'd be out of our price range.

As for Ward, he may not be Wayne Bridge but he is an experienced full-back that likes to get forward, and could be just what we need for this season anyway until we get someone more permanent.

The first thing that sprung to my mind when his name was mentioned was how he was widely acknowledged as the worst player in the Euro 2012 tournament (including in this Guardian poll: http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/jun/20/euro-2012-readers-player-ratings), but then again he won't be dealing with a Torres, David Silva, Balotelli or Mandzukic at this level every week.

I see he was a team mate of Van Persie in the "worst XI" so not putting too much faith in that poll.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Probably better than Shorey, more experienced than what we have (or Mattock who everyone was lamenting the departure of), not Wayne Bridge. Solid enough, plugs a gap, adds more versatility.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Apologies to put abit of a dampener on things but imho he is complete dogs***. Being Irish I've watched him since he 1st broke onto the international seen. He can't defend at all and isn't particularly fast as mention by someone on here already. His proformance in the Euro's was appalling and is really a striker who got put left back due to player injuries.

He'll get my support and hopefully the championship will be his level but if he is all that's available then I'd have stook with Maks. Atleast for now and see what the end of the transfer market brings.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010

He went to the Euros !! cant be that bad????

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Recommendations , scouting reports , matchday video and game highlights , individual match stats and performance analysis. It wouldn't surprise me if a few NSCers form an instant opinion by how a footballer performs in virtual reality on FIFA13 or Football Manager.

There's certain football clubs that are known for using football manager as a scouting tool. Especially in the lower leagues.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Sunderland and West Ham fans told us Bridge was shite and we were wasting our money. Lets see him play for us before we decide he's the new Mark Farrington.

Did West Ham fans really slate Bridge? I know 2 or 3 that actually go and they all said that he had a disaster of a debut against Arsenal (that was televised if I remember correctly) but subsequently was pretty good.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
My god! I predicted one right!!! I said this a week ago!

Was worried about his wages which I suppose is why we got him on loan. Played OK in the prem and cant be blamed for the rubbish that was wolves so not too bad.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India

If you scroll down on that link we find we have Ireland's best rated player at the 2012 Euros!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I would take Stephen Ward in a hartbeat. I watch Wolves a fair bit, living relatively locally, and I tend to think he is one of the 'good guys' at the club - i.e. one of the players that actually bothered trying to win games in the Championship last season. Wolves problems last year derived from far too many players thinking they were too good to play in the Championship, who consequently didn't bother.

I would put Ward straight into the side tomorrow, if he has signed.

As for Wolves, they'll do well this season. With Sako and Baath, amongst others they have some exciting young talent. Like us, they are also building a (bigger) academy to focus on youth for the future.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Wayne bridge to Stephen ward. Worrying.

I wonder how much we're saving by not keeping Wayne Bridge. I'm told he's on £24k at Reading, but would have taken much less to stay with us. Was an offer ever made?

dicks-bar-bouncer

Feb 2, 2013
so we have signed an international left back on loan.someone with lots of premier league expierience.
Last year we signed wayne bridge and at the time there was loads of doom and gloom..he is past it..too old and slow...was rubbish for west ham,although im sure NONE of the lads said that.obviously bridge turned out great but so could this guy.both signings seem very similar to me...as for those of ypu going on about our squad being rubbish.its better then last year when all our fit.we lost bridge/hammond/harley and dicker and gained kemi/ince/andrews and ward...i know there have been more in and outs but concentrating on people who will actually play...plus we got leo for whole season..personally think the 4 that have come in are better then the ones leaving!! 2 league games in stop your f***ing moaning..

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
so we have signed an international left back on loan.someone with lots of premier league expierience.
Last year we signed wayne bridge and at the time there was loads of doom and gloom..he is past it..too old and slow...was rubbish for west ham,although im sure NONE of the lads said that.obviously bridge turned out great but so could this guy.both signings seem very similar to me...as for those of ypu going on about our squad being rubbish.its better then last year when all our fit.we lost bridge/hammond/harley and dicker and gained kemi/ince/andrews and ward...i know there have been more in and outs but concentrating on people who will actually play...plus we got leo for whole season..personally think the 4 that have come in are better then the ones leaving!! 2 league games in stop your f***ing moaning..

I sort of agree with you, but also disagree.

As someone that has seen both Ward and Bridge play on numerous occasions, I would take Bridge every time. Having said that, Ward is a class player with experience of winning this league. He will do very well for us.

Only thing is, I guarantee Ward will make a huge mistake in his first few games for us. I can feel it coming. After that, he'll be fine.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Good solid signing,part of Wolves championship winning side and only 28. Thats left back taken care of, now a striker needed and all the holes are plugged.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here