Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the point of the Video Screens?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was hoping you would appear on this thread to give the technical view. Sounds like we have bought the top of the range.

So the question is, have we bought a 140mph mclaren sports car but have handed it to our granny to drive? (metaphorically I might add)

I don't KNOW this bit, but I'm speculating that the company that installed the system were providing hands-on assistance for the first few games, as part of the sale, but have now handed over to the club staff, who will need a bit of time to become fully confident.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
It's not just the replays, at other grounds the match is shown live on the big screens, great if the action is down the other end. So really, what is the point of them?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I don't KNOW this bit, but I'm speculating that the company that installed the system were providing hands-on assistance for the first few games, as part of the sale, but have now handed over to the club staff, who will need a bit of time to become fully confident.

I love your terminology there. Very customer orientated. 'fully confident' is such a great phrase.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Its a very high specification editing suite, operated by three people. It wasn't supplied by the company that sold the actual screens, but installed and maintainned by a third party AV company. The man who sold the screens, was massively impressed with its capabilities, and says its probably the most advanced in the country. So yes, quite hard, I expect.
I know they were advertising for someone to operate it... but perhaps whoever's doing it now, doesn't know how to operate it? You seem to know a lot about it, can't you do it?!?! :)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I know they were advertising for someone to operate it... but perhaps whoever's doing it now, doesn't know how to operate it? You seem to know a lot about it, can't you do it?!?! :)

No. That would be an absolute nightmare. That is the kind of thing I deal with all week. I go to the football to enjoy watching the Albion, not to stress over work.

They DID show replays of Vincelot's goal and some the second half chances. Also the half time scores from the Championship. Also the first goal time graphic for the scratch cards popped up pretty much instantly.

Could have been teething troubles pre-match and early on. Could just have easily been the normal operator was off-sick or something and the stand-in wasn't 'match-fit'. The little things like the England badge instead of the Albion badge are obviously cock-ups but understandable. If you had to learn a complete new system but only get 3 hours practice on it once every couple of weeks it would take time to get fully to grips with it (especially if it is top of the range and complex as we are led to believe).

Personally I don't like live action on the screens, at away grounds I've found it distracting and often find myself watching the game on TV rather than in 3D, and as our screens are so massive that would be even more distracting.

ted hitchcock

Sep 7, 2009
I was hoping you would appear on this thread to give the technical view. Sounds like we have bought the top of the range.

So the question is, have we bought a 140mph mclaren sports car but have handed it to our granny to drive? (metaphorically I might add)

Let me assure you all that the issues on Saturday were entirely 3rd party hardware based.

Also, let me assure you that the team working in the BHA Production Department are all incredible at their jobs and work tirelessly to produce professional, quality packages for the screens and the website every single day and for every single home match. They also produce and direct live coverage of each match for all the screens in the stadium with commentary,instant replays and graphics. They arrive at the ground a good 5 hours before kick-off to set everything up and tend to leave 3 or 4 hours after the final whistle. Trust me, they are 10 times more disappointed than you when something outside their responsibility goes wrong and their hard work comes to nothing. Hopefully you walked away happy from Saturday's victory, meanwhile the deflation in the Gallery was palpable.

Anyway, let's hope this Saturday goes to plan.

BTW the FA were absolutely blown away by BHA's production at the recent U19's match and the BHA production and streaming of the match was watched by a record nearly 20,000 people worldwide. Well done Team Brighton.:thumbsup:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
yeah, no montage, no player pics, and no replays for the first two goals - so they must have had techie problems at the start. Hopefuly all be sorted for the forest game.

gary williams' goal must feature in that!!!!!!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
BTW the FA were absolutely blown away by BHA's production at the recent U19's match and the BHA production and streaming of the match was watched by a record nearly 20,000 people worldwide. Well done Team Brighton.:thumbsup:

Were they blown away when you caught the rear end of the streaker on his way into the tunnel :laugh: .

But seriously, that's good to hear :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's not just the replays, at other grounds the match is shown live on the big screens, great if the action is down the other end. So really, what is the point of them?

The big screens did show a bit of "live inplay action" occasionally on Saturday for a few seconds at a time. I agree with the other points made though, I find this a bit distracting and would prefer it to stick to replays only.

I remember Spurs showed the whole game on their jumbotrons when I was up there for the Cup game a few years ago, and it really does draw your eyes to it when you should really be watching it in front of you on the pitch.

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
Let me assure you all that the issues on Saturday were entirely 3rd party hardware based.

Also, let me assure you that the team working in the BHA Production Department are all incredible at their jobs and work tirelessly to produce professional, quality packages for the screens and the website every single day and for every single home match. They also produce and direct live coverage of each match for all the screens in the stadium with commentary,instant replays and graphics. They arrive at the ground a good 5 hours before kick-off to set everything up and tend to leave 3 or 4 hours after the final whistle. Trust me, they are 10 times more disappointed than you when something outside their responsibility goes wrong and their hard work comes to nothing. Hopefully you walked away happy from Saturday's victory, meanwhile the deflation in the Gallery was palpable.

Anyway, let's hope this Saturday goes to plan.

:bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here