Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings Brighton v coventry

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Why no Buckley on the bench? What has happened to the sick-note now? And where was Sparrow?

A win is a win is a win, but although we looked convincing at times, in the last 20 mins there were too many nail-biting moments. We seemed to sit back and let them come at us.

We really really need some of our sick-notes playing: Vicente, Reyes, Buckley.

My ratings in a good-in-parts kind of game:

Ankergren 6. Still makes me very nervous when coming for high balls and some of his kicking not great.

Calderon 5. Thought his ball control and passing were poor today.

Dunk 6. Some good, some bad. One or two scary moments when he gave the ball away.

Greer 7. Good game. Didn't shine, but no errors that I saw.

Painter 6. In the time he was on he did OK.

Bridcutt 7. Good without standing out.

Navarro 7. As above.

Harley 7. One of his best games. Involved and much more effort than we have seen in the past.

Noone 8.5. Some great stuff, but also some frustrating moments.

CMS 8. The guy never stops running. Ball control a little poor on a couple of occasions and had at least one great goal opportunity.

Paynter 5. Almost forgot he was on the pitch. Didn't do a lot wrong, but didn't do a lot, period.

Subs:
Vincelot 6. Great goal, but his defending and passing left a lot to be desired in the second half. Very obviously right footed and gave him problems playing at LB.

Barnes 5. Not sure he actually did much.

Lua Lua 6. A couple of runs and one nice cross.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Harley's getting better each game,only wish Navarro would.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Ankergren 6

Calderon 6

Dunk 6.5

Greer 7

Painter 6

Bridcutt 6.5

Navarro 7

Harley 6.5

Noone 7

CMS 7

Paynter 5.5

Subs:
Vincelot 6

Barnes 5.5

Lua Lua 5.5

Coventry 3 poor will be in the bottom 3 on that evidence

Seagull16

Sep 28, 2011
Ankergen 7
Painter 5
Greer 8
Dunk7
Calderon 8
Bridcutt 8
Navarro 8
Harley 1
Noone 8
Paynter 5
Cms 8

Barnes 8
Lua Lua 6
Vincelot 7

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ankergren 6 - Didn't move for the goal, but otherwise didn't have much to do. Kicking was much better than Harpers.
Calderon 7 - A few loose touches but much more involved in attack where we need him to be.
Greer 7 - Only one misplaced pass I can think of, very solid and dependable.
Dunk 6 - Gave the ball away twice, but was very good against the physical threat of their lumps up front.
Painter 5 - Not a Championship player.
Bridcutt 7 - Not as involved as he was when we were flowing and brilliant, and that's the problem.
Navarro 6 - Gets in the way and doesn't add anything positive to the team.
Harley 6 - Casually gets about the pitch but doesn't really add anything special.
Noone 7 - Final ball was lacking and not so many mazy runs, time for a rest I think.
Paynter 6 - Donkey, didn't expect anything more. Worked hard for the team but nothing to show for his effort.
CMS 7 - Man of the Match? Fluffed another 1 on 1, and got away with it again. Work rate brilliant, technically not so much.

Subs
Vincelot 8 - Offers so much to the team wherever he plays. A must to play more regularly.
Barnes 6 - Not involved, which makes the 8 he got from [MENTION=21891]Seagull16[/MENTION] amazing.
LuaLua 6 - Not enough time, but good to see us have 2 wingers on the pitch.

Decent performance, nothing overly special but controlled parts of the game and looking a threat from set-pieces. Bit concerned by our defensive shape, and I think we're too negative with Navarro getting in the way of Bridcutt who doesn't need a partner.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Yeh i think Calderon was 1 of our better players. Got lots of the ball and 9 times out of 10 used it well

Maybe the difference in opinion is down to where your sitting.

In the first half from the West Stand he made a handful of embarrassing mistakes not really expected from a professional footballer.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Everyone seems to be ignoring 1/2 a dozen Albion players handing possession to a poor Coventry side, on many occasions. Would like to see some stat's.

The likes of Noone, Harley & CMS; played far better than Greer, Dunk, Vincelot, Calderon, Navarro & Bridcutt. Ankergren was solid.

The final score has improved perceived performances.

WSU in second half full of justified groans & frustrations.

Seagull16

Sep 28, 2011
Because he did much better than Paynter, when he came on he held the ball up competed for the ball and considering he was then moved to midfield, he contributed much more in a short space of time than Paynter.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Ankergen 7
Painter 5
Greer 8
Dunk7
Calderon 8
Bridcutt 8
Navarro 8
Harley 1
Noone 8
Paynter 5
Cms 8

Barnes 8
Lua Lua 6
Vincelot 7

Navarro 8 and Harley 1,yeah,well done with that.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Everyone seems to be ignoring 1/2 a dozen Albion players handing possession to a poor Coventry side, on many occasions. Would like to see some stat's.

The likes of Noone, Harley & CMS; played far better than Greer, Dunk, Vincelot, Calderon, Navarro & Bridcutt. Ankergren was solid.

The final score has improved perceived performances.

WSU in second half full of justified groans & frustrations.

Totally agree, the way we conceded ground and procession in the last 30 mins was frankly embarrassing against a woeful team. Gus said in his interview that he agreed with us being too deep. If that was the case why didn't he tell the forward players to move up. He obviously didn't tell Barnes who played much of his time at left back. Talk about putting yourself under pressure.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Thought Calde was a tad shakey in defence today, but like I said at half time, I don't mind too much cos it's brilliant to see him bombing down the flank!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought we gave the ball away far too much all over the pitch, and so I think I've marked most of the players lower (than I would otherwise) because of it. Ankergren seemed to be playing it longer a lot more frequently, which is probably good because a lot of his short passes went to our players under pressure.

I thought the crowd were a little harsh in that second half. Last year we went to efforts to educate the fans that us playing the ball around the back was to draw our opponents out of position, make them close us down and create space behind them. So why are we criticising our players for having the positional discipline not to close the goalkeeper and defenders on the edge of their box? Granted, we backed off way too much when they brought it into our half, but one idiot behind me was saying "too easy" when we "let them play" the ball from the edge of their penalty box to the edge of the centre circle in their half. I mean, come on. I know when you've had only one win in 12, you're going to be nervy, but Coventry were not that much of a threat with their shots, we were 2-1 up, we didn't need to be closing them in their own third. The last 20 minutes weren't nearly as nervy as the fas seemed to think it was.

Ankergren 7 accurate long kicking, not troubled by much. Looked lost when he didn't have a defender to run into to claim a free kick at a late corner.
Painter - Didn't see enough to really rate him
Dunk 6
Greer 6 lost the ball with a lame cross field attempted pass, which barely made it to the centre of our half, in the build up to their goal
Calderon 6.5
Noone 7 hard worker, made some decisions to cross and shoot, not always right but better than not making the decision at all
Bridcutt 6.5 quietly effective
Harley 6.5 one of his better games
Navarro 7 he added some grit and fight in midfield
Paynter 6 I think he's the current fashionable hate figure. With barnes on the bench it's either paynter or harley, and I think people don't give him the credit for his good stuff, and focus on his bad stuff.
CMS 7 ran hard, making his own interception for the first goal.

Vincelot 7
Barnes 6 great run from defence as his first contribution, showed discipline with position (despite fans wanting him to run around leaving gaps behind him)
Lualua - not really on long enough

Last edited:

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
From alannavarro31:

First: Thx 4 all ur msgs, but reading north stand chat, there's a lot of negativity 2wards me, reading back on a couple of posts, #cantpleaseevery1
Then: Ye thx every1, not goin on nsc anymore, its all negative, which isn't helpful, not gona let it get me down, thx again, and now 4 tues, #3pts

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
From alannavarro31:

First: Thx 4 all ur msgs, but reading north stand chat, there's a lot of negativity 2wards me, reading back on a couple of posts, #cantpleaseevery1
Then: Ye thx every1, not goin on nsc anymore, its all negative, which isn't helpful, not gona let it get me down, thx again, and now 4 tues, #3pts

He's right. I thought he was a star player v barnsley, came on here to see people citing him as the weak link and not up to it. It's quite ridiculous. He had another good game today.

Sep 1, 2010
Ankergren 6
Painter 5
Greer 5
Dunk 6
Calderon 6
Noone 6
Navarro 4
Bridcutt 6
Harley 4
Painter 5
CMS 8